Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do your kids ever go to school without breakfast?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:18 am
How often does it happen that your child leaves to school without breakfast. What do you give them for breakfast when you are in a rush to get out of the house on time. At what age do they take breakfast themselves. What are some easy breakfast ideas for kids?
Any more tips? It's happening very often in my house. I'm looking for ideas of how to prevent this.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:28 am
I set out cereal and bowls and spoons the night before (when I'm being organized). I try to put the milk on the table in the morning. Everyone over age 2 has proven to be capable of taking on their own, and I am pretty relaxed about spills.

My MIL has cereal bars that I would consider getting, not very healthy but something! When I was a kid my mother would put some dry cereal in a bag for us.

I would also consider making a big milkshake and giving kids a cup with a lid to take it to go.

If nothing else, just make sure they have an extra snack and a fruit or something so they have what to eat if they get hungry.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:32 am
After speaking to a nutritionist, the following qualify as breakfast in our house (and can be taken ‘to-go’)- preferably with a cold or hot cocoa or ‘coffee’ (to get in some milk/protein):
Granola bar
Pretzels or crackers
Trail mix
A bag of cereal

My kids have tried convincing me that cookies/danishes should also qualify and sometimes I give in.

joyful mom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:33 am
Yogurts are quick, easy and neat to eat.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:12 am
Hard boiled eggs cooked and shelled the night before, sliced in half.
Put it in a pita bread sleeve.

I was making my own breakfast since I was 9 years old, which means I didn’t have breakfast often enough.

I remember an incident where a classmate came to school with egg around her mouth. Our teacher snidely asked her if she had eggs for breakfast and made her wash it off. Classmate was so embarrassed and said yes her mother gave her eggs and toast.

I remember being envious of her, because her mother made her breakfast.

This was 40 years ago and it still hurts me that my mother never made me breakfast.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:43 am
My younger kids don't like taking most of these but older ones think some of them are cool:)
Scrambled egg folded over with slice cheese inside
Sandwiches
Cup of oatmeal in coffee cup with cover
Hard boiled egg
Hard cheese in sticks or shredded such as mozarella, cheddar, etc. American cheese can also work.
My favorite: Vegetable soup in a thermos or sturdy cup with cover (I make a huge pot beginning of week and can easily be re-heated).
Warm baked potato
Yogurt
Chickpeas or other beans that are good room temperature.
Avacado or other pre-cut veggies.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
My younger kids don't like taking most of these but older ones think some of them are cool:)
Scrambled egg folded over with slice cheese inside
Sandwiches
Cup of oatmeal in coffee cup with cover
Hard boiled egg
Hard cheese in sticks or shredded such as mozarella, cheddar, etc. American cheese can also work.
My favorite: Vegetable soup in a thermos or sturdy cup with cover (I make a huge pot beginning of week and can easily be re-heated).
Warm baked potato
Yogurt
Chickpeas or other beans that are good room temperature.
Avacado or other pre-cut veggies.

Do you prepare this the night before?

queen esther

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:57 am
We do yogurt a lot. Or cereal with or without milk in a large plastic cup in the car, or Clif bars, (but that's rare because that's usually in their lunch), or instant oatmeal. Or cheese.

Surrendered

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:00 am
I give them a protein shake in the morning, that way I know for sure that they had healthy nutrition and should be somewhat full. Choose one they like, you need to find the right company that they will enjoy drinking. Each child likes a different flavor, one likes vanilla while the others like chocolate.
We use Shaklee. Blend one or two Tablespoons shake with some hot boiled water, add milk.
I add abit of sugar free cuppachino for better taste.
The kids like it and I am confident they ate well.

In addition I can prepare a light breakfast on the table with a variety of bread & peanut butter or cottage cheese with banana and top it with colorful sprinkles. Or anything you feel will satisfy them.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:29 am
Sometimes the kids skip breakfast and instead have "aruchat eser" in school. They say that if they eat breakfast they are often not hungry enough for aruchat eser, and the teacher gives them a hard time about it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:32 am
If they get up on time they can have oatmeal in a bowl at the table. Later it’s in a coffee cup that they eat on the way, later they get a bag of cornflakes. Often they also grab an apple.
Dd doesn’t eat before brachos, but says them with her class at school. She doesn’t eat breakfast.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:25 am
I have to get 14 kids/teens out of the house every morning. The teens do their thing, If they don't want breakfast, I don't mind so much because I know they'll buy something from their pocket money.
The younger ones eat breakfast. I put out 3 different cereals and toast with different spreads or cheese. They usually drink a glass of milk aswell. After they get dressed (or I'm done getting the youngest ones dressed) they have breakfast while I make them sandwiches for school. We calculate 35/40 minutes for breakfast.
But I check their backpacks the night before (sandwiches which weren't eaten), I put out clothing the night before. Otherwise I'd go insane. Also the teens are very independent. Besides 2 boys, I don't have to wake anyone over the age of 11. They get ready, eat (or not eat) and go. It's really only the kids up to 10 I really have to remind to brush teeth, hurry up etc.
After they are all out of the house besides the youngest ones, I have breakfast myself, take the little ones to gan and go to work. Sometimes I'm the one who doesn't get breakfast though Can't Believe It

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
Hard boiled eggs cooked and shelled the night before, sliced in half.
Put it in a pita bread sleeve.

I was making my own breakfast since I was 9 years old, which means I didn’t have breakfast often enough.

I remember an incident where a classmate came to school with egg around her mouth. Our teacher snidely asked her if she had eggs for breakfast and made her wash it off. Classmate was so embarrassed and said yes her mother gave her eggs and toast.

I remember being envious of her, because her mother made her breakfast.

This was 40 years ago and it still hurts me that my mother never made me breakfast.

Same. That's why I still make them sandwiches for school even though they could do it themselves. I just felt so unloved. My mother didn't get up in the morning, she wanted to sleep until 10 (housewife). So from first grade on, I had to wake up my father, make him breakfast, make myself and the younger ones breakfast and sandwiches for school. Often enough we didn't have enough bread or spreads because she didn't care about being a housewife.. and we didn't get money to buy something from the bakery either. At some point I had a friend, whose mom gave her two sandwiches, one for her daughter and one for me. I adored that woman!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:38 am
My kids take after me. We're not morning people and we prefer to stay in bed as long as possible. We aren't hungry first thing in the morning so I don't insist on breakfast. I make sure they have healthy snacks and a filling lunch so they have enough energy to get through the day.

If they wake up early enough to actually get hungry and have time to eat I have cereal available and instant oatmeal and yogurt and frozen waffles. My oldest will sometimes grab a cereal bar to eat on the bus and my preschooler will sometimes want to eat cereal in a bag in the car on the way to school.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 5:42 am
amother wrote:
I have to get 14 kids/teens out of the house every morning. The teens do their thing, If they don't want breakfast, I don't mind so much because I know they'll buy something from their pocket money.
The younger ones eat breakfast. I put out 3 different cereals and toast with different spreads or cheese. They usually drink a glass of milk aswell. After they get dressed (or I'm done getting the youngest ones dressed) they have breakfast while I make them sandwiches for school. We calculate 35/40 minutes for breakfast.
But I check their backpacks the night before (sandwiches which weren't eaten), I put out clothing the night before. Otherwise I'd go insane. Also the teens are very independent. Besides 2 boys, I don't have to wake anyone over the age of 11. They get ready, eat (or not eat) and go. It's really only the kids up to 10 I really have to remind to brush teeth, hurry up etc.
After they are all out of the house besides the youngest ones, I have breakfast myself, take the little ones to gan and go to work. Sometimes I'm the one who doesn't get breakfast though Can't Believe It

You sound amazing!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:46 am
My kids dont have breakfast not because im disorganized but because they need to all be schleped to the bus stop at 6:58 down the block. They leave too early and need their sleep. I also leave early to work and dont eat breakfast. I do make sure they eat enough supper the night before to be full and nobody is hungry in the morning. If they are, when they get to school, they can eat some snack around 745 before class starts.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:03 am
We eat cake and milk for breakfast!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:17 am
I'm very against allowing kids to leave the house without food, how are they supposed to function? We get up extra early with enough time to spare fro breakfast. I don't care what they eat, but it must be something. The most typical are:
Oatmeal
Granola with milk
Cereal with milk
Yogurt
Tuna with veggies
Sandwich
Toast
Everyone drinks a full cup of coco or warm milk as well.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:19 am
Amother brunette, a full supper does not make one be less hungry in the morning!!! Send them along a sandwich at least. Or some cut up veggies with dip. It's mean to just send off to school without any food! Besides, I don't understand how kids can focus on an empty stomach.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 8:20 am
Variety of yogurts (I've given in and chocolate topped yogurt now counts too) - this is something they can grab from the fridge with a soon and take on the bus if you need

Pancakes or waffles from the freezer popped into the pop top bread toaster

Cereal and milk (buy the individual bowls if you think you'll have to just grab and send it on the bus)

Cheese snacks

String cheese

2 slices bread with sliced cheese slapped inside and pressed by the sandwich maker for grilled cheese

Instant oatmeal

Maybe have granola bars ready for emergencies

If you're really not getting them to school with breakfast, make tuna, sliced egg or cheese sandwiches the night before and have them put them in their backpack in the morning when they're taking their snack for school.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics