Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do your kids ever go to school without breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

esther36

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:02 am
My kids are not morning ppl either. They hate getting out of bed and wait till the last minute to get up and out. They rarely sit down and eat breakfast. I'm Lucky if they grab a granola bar or bag of pretzels with them Can't Believe It

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:09 am
amother wrote:
Hard boiled eggs cooked and shelled the night before, sliced in half.
Put it in a pita bread sleeve.

I was making my own breakfast since I was 9 years old, which means I didn’t have breakfast often enough.

I remember an incident where a classmate came to school with egg around her mouth. Our teacher snidely asked her if she had eggs for breakfast and made her wash it off. Classmate was so embarrassed and said yes her mother gave her eggs and toast.

I remember being envious of her, because her mother made her breakfast.

This was 40 years ago and it still hurts me that my mother never made me breakfast.

It is my understanding that one should not leave peeled eggs in the frig overnight. My husband says it is mentioned in the gemara and he never permits me to do so, even if we are leaving on a trip early in the morning, and it would be very helpful to peel the eggs the night before.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
My kids dont have breakfast not because im disorganized but because they need to all be schleped to the bus stop at 6:58 down the block. They leave too early and need their sleep. I also leave early to work and dont eat breakfast. I do make sure they eat enough supper the night before to be full and nobody is hungry in the morning. If they are, when they get to school, they can eat some snack around 745 before class starts.

I hope you at least send some fruit or yogurt, something for breakfast. Do you seriously think that eating supper the night before should keep a child full until lunch?

I started typing what I think of this, but decided it's not nice. Please let this be a protest on behalf of your children. This is not fair!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:19 am
I just want to say what one of my DD's teachers told us - a teacher I highly respect. She said, please don't send me hungry children to teach. If your morning was rushed, please send breakfast along, and I will allow your child a few minutes to eat it.

There are times a child is not so hungry in the morning...I will send along a fruit, some cereal in a bag, pretzels, a granola bag...SOMETHING! Hunger will hit at some point, and if they eat their lunch for breakfast, they may be hungry again at lunch.....

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:28 am
DrMom wrote:
You sound amazing!

Haha thank you! The adrenaline rush I get from the morning routine, is probably the same as the one Bungee Jumpers get LOL

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:30 am
Eating an unhealthy breakfast is worse than skipping breakfast

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:31 am
Now I feel like such a bad mom...
My kids either take some cereal in a bag, some crackers or wafers or string cheese... And then they drink some of my coffee : Can't Believe It % on the way to the bus stop

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
Now I feel like such a bad mom...
My kids either take some cereal in a bag, some crackers or wafers or string cheese... And then they drink some of my coffee : Can't Believe It % on the way to the bus stop

And I thought only my DD did this....

crackers and string cheese are a great idea. Good protein, with some filler carbs....you could add a cucumber, and your kid would be getting all the right food groups.

You sound like a great Mom.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:39 am
Chayalle wrote:
And I thought only my DD did this....

crackers and string cheese are a great idea. Good protein, with some filler carbs....you could add a cucumber, and your kid would be getting all the right food groups.

You sound like a great Mom.

Thanks Chayalle! You just made my day a little brighter! Very Happy

Fabulous

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:41 am
Very very rarely. Occasionally my daughter will want to take cereal or a granola bar instead of eating but that happens a few times a year. And for my son it’s also hardly ever, unless we are running super super late - which I usually wake him up pretty early so there is time for him to eat a proper breakfast, and I will send him with a cliff bar (a lot of protein and energy) and snack and lunch are early in his school.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:44 am
Sandwich maker grilled cheese, yogurt, toast, whole wheat banana muffins- my 10 yr old rotates taking one to eat on the bus.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:47 am
My kids usually eat cereal and milk at home but if they are running late I give them cereal in a bag to eat on the bus.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:50 am
Mostly cereal and milk or hot cereal (oatmeal) sometimes they want toast or muffins if I have.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:56 am
Of course you can't force them really

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:58 am
I give cereal.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:14 am
We ate in the car on the way to school- either waffles or toast or fresh bread, all prepared by my mom ( which I am grateful for)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
It is my understanding that one should not leave peeled eggs in the frig overnight. My husband says it is mentioned in the gemara and he never permits me to do so, even if we are leaving on a trip early in the morning, and it would be very helpful to peel the eggs the night before.

You can easily peel eggs in advance if you sprinkle salt on them before putting them in a sealed bag or container.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:12 pm
My kids eat whole wheat bread & sunny side up for breakfast. If running late I send along squeezable yogurt pouches or pack of melba toast with individually wrapped American cheese. A fruit. Pretzels. Or cereal in a bag. Or a cream cheese sandwich.
They usually have a cup of hot cocoa too when they get up or take it along.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:12 pm
I make healthy breakfast muffins that have tons of fiber plus chocolate chips. They can grab one if they don't have time to sit down for an alternative.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:18 pm
Never but I put sleep and food first (with my kid you can so totally see the connection between sleep/food/behavior) so if my kid is 15 min late to school I dont stress. If he was reading a book not eating then we would have an issue.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics