Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do your kids ever go to school without breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:23 am
Chayalle wrote:
I hope you at least send some fruit or yogurt, something for breakfast. Do you seriously think that eating supper the night before should keep a child full until lunch?

I started typing what I think of this, but decided it's not nice. Please let this be a protest on behalf of your children. This is not fair!

Please spend a few minutes the night before if you can’t do it in the morning to prepare something for them to eat and drink on the bus.

Very, very sad that you send your kids without food.
Perhaps your not hungry at that time but they certainly do get hungry way before lunch .

You are fooling yourself into thinking that they don’t need food in the morning just because they ate supper the night before.

You can pack a water bottle or box drink for them to drink. You can send some cookies or crackers. Cereal in a bag.... I guarantee you that they will eat it and have a better day.

One of my kids just drinks a cup of hot cocoa. Another takes a pre packed danish... they need something... anything really to give them some energy in the morning.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:40 am
Scrambled Eggs, cottage cheese with bread/rice cakes /French toast
And a cup of milk/chocolate milk
This thread is giving me a needed boost! some days when I'm running to get all of us out in the morning rush I'm tempted to just give them a snack I hope my kids will remember the love in their breakfasts every morning!!

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:46 am
Sandwich
Cereal in a bag

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 9:49 am
I think that some kind of healthy breakfast is important. But on a rushed morning, it needs to be something that can be eaten on the bus. Obviously some of you have super neat eaters, but I would never give yogurt, oatmeal, cold cereal, or any kind of sandwich where the filling can fall out. I bake supercharged banana muffins with oatmeal and peanut butter, and on rushed mornings just hand them out as she runs out the door. I also have trail mix in snack sized baggies. Another alternative is a peanut or almond butter sandwich. If all else fails, I hand them a banana. It's something.

mommyla

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:51 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I make healthy breakfast muffins that have tons of fiber plus chocolate chips. They can grab one if they don't have time to sit down for an alternative.

Can you please share the recipe? I've tried a bunch of healthy breakfast muffins but none of them have gone over particularly well with my kids, who are not great breakfast eaters.

DS usually has toast and (begrudgingly) a cup of milk, with a to-go hot chocolate if he's ready early enough. DD has been eating cereal and milk lately, but sometimes she'll have instant oatmeal. I always have bananas, granola bars, and yogurts on hand for whoever wants, and sometimes I'll make a big batch of waffles to have in the freezer. Occasionally they'll want pizza or macaroni from the fridge TMI I'm happy as long as they have something in them before school.

Miri7

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:25 am
Ah! This happened to me this morning. I made two different breakfasts for my youngest, and still she went to school without eating. I sent her with extra yogurt and a granola bar - she likes both of those, and I told her morah that she's likely hungry because she hadn't eaten yet. It drives me nuts when they leave the house without eating, and it makes me feel like a terrible mother, even when I've done all I could to get them to eat!

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:09 pm
First thing dh or I (whoever wakes up first) does in the morning is put a few different types of cereal, some milk, and a stack of bowls on the table. Kids learn to take their own breakfast from age 4 or so. Ages 2-4, someone helps them pour the cereal, and they can eat on their own.

I do usually have to make a couple of "inspections" to make sure nobody is forgetting to eat (or forgetting to get dressed, put on shoes, or whatever else).

Occasionally a kid will miss breakfast because I let them sleep in, or they took too long in the shower, or whatever else. We have breakfast bars in case of emergencies, or I just send them on their way with a second sandwich which they can eat before class.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:16 pm
So.. my kids are little and they have breakfast (cereal) in school.
If they dont give me a hard time getting all dressed and ready, they get chocolate so they are not hungry before they get to school (hey its better than candy.)
I always have cookie bars/cookies, yogurt, healthy muffins stashed in the freezer for them to take in the car.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:31 pm
My kids are not morning eaters. Especially before school. On Shabbos or weekday it can be an hour and a half after they wake up until they eat.
I send them with a morning snack and all of them have about 10 minutes in school to eat after davening and before class. One kid likes the packs of microwavable pancakes, others cereal an a bag or granola bar.
One of the teachers said that they couldn't understand how kids come to school without breakfast, until a mother told him that her kid goes to the bus stop at 7 and 6 something is way too early for a full breakfast. Hence, time to eat after davening.
There are a lot if good suggestions on this thread for take and go breakfasts. I especially like the idea of yogurt pouches, but if you give a regular yogurt, cut a smoothie straw in half and stick it in the cover without opening it for less of a mess and easier to eat on the way to school.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:43 pm
My kids eat
Eggs
French toast
Noodles/orzo/couscous
Oatmeal
Waffles/pancakes
Smoothies
Bakes potatoes
Coconut yogurt
Once in a while cheese sandwiches
If we have like zero time....cereal in a bag and a smoothie to take to school.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 12:50 pm
Amother lawngreen, since when is chocolate considered filling? Why do you assume they're not hungry because they had chocolate?

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:03 pm
They already have applesauce or other fruit pouches in heimishe hechsheirim in groceries. Thats also good for on the go.
A leben with a straw stuck into foil is also neater th n with a spoon

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:14 pm
I don’t have kids old enough to need breakfast but what I do for myself now is make a few quiches in the beginning of the week and take a piece for breakfast. You could also do egg muffins with veggies, cheese, etc.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:17 pm
To all those attacking the amother who gives her kids a full supper, I'm not saying she's right in not giving her kids breakfast, but there are people who are not hungry in the morning. I used to be like that (until pregnancy and nursing made me wake up starving). If I would eat breakfast at 8:15 before leaving for school, my stomach hurt all morning. I found it better to eat at around 10-11 (recess time) and then again at lunchtime 12:30.

I do make something every morning, usually a warm cereal with milk, sometimes fruit, sometimes plain yogurt (what's the point in all that sugar right in the morning?), and sometimes bread. But some of my kids also sometimes complain that they're too full to eat breakfast. In any case, my kids' schools give breakfast, so I never feel pressured to have them eat; I figure that they'll eat then.

simba

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:19 pm
I have a son who never eats before 10am. Regardless if there is school or not. He just isn’t ready for food. That being said he goes to school without breakfast every day.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:29 pm
Pause, if a kid is not hungry in the morning, send along some normal food with them to school. Snack at recess is not considered breakfast. It's not ok that lunch is the 1st normal food a kid has that day.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:30 pm
simba wrote:
I have a son who never eats before 10am. Regardless if there is school or not. He just isn’t ready for food. That being said he goes to school without breakfast every day.

But I'm sure you send him something filling to eat as breakfast at his 10/11am bfeak.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Pause, if a kid is not hungry in the morning, send along some normal food with them to school. Snack at recess is not considered breakfast. It's not ok that lunch is the 1st normal food a kid has that day.

That amother said she sends along snack and her kids can eat it at 7:45. Depending on what you send for snack, it might be no different than many things people list here that they give for breakfast! I mean, a bag of pretzels in my house is a snack, and yet many posters wrote that they send it along for breakfast. To me, sugary yogurt or store-bought granola bars are not even snack; they are treats! So, each to their own.

No need to attack a mother who is doing her best.

2ringsnow

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 1:48 pm
My kids like to eat rice cake with slice cheese or crackers. I always make sure they eat something or take something along even if it’s some pretzels or a few cookies...

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:22 pm
Not reading the whole thread, but I know there were periods of my life where my stomach just wasn't awake for breakfast before leaving for school/work, so I packed a bag of cereal to eat once I got to school.

As a teacher, I've had many kids tell me that they didn't have time for breakfast or just weren't hungry when they left their house in the morning. When I had the same kids all morning, I used to give them 5 min between Davening and starting class and told parents and kids alike that its an opportunity for them to grab a few bites of breakfast if they didn't eat before school. They loved it. Some brought cereal bars, some bags of cereal, some fruit, one kid sometimes brought a squeeze yogurt.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics