Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Warm place with an orthodox high school
1  2  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:39 pm
Looking to move to a place that is warm year round. Minimum requirement is an orthodox community and an orthodox high school.
Please name the cities/towns.

I am a federal employee working for the department of defense so I will be looking to change to another federal job in the driving distance to the community.

Affordable a plus, no state tax a plus, good state colleges a plus. Please also lost a typical price for a modest 4 br+ house or a rental

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:53 pm
Dallas/Plano TX? BY high school for girls, Chofetz Chaim hs for boys. Warm most of the year, a few chilly days in the winter. Affordability based on the neighborhood. Cheapest areas $350,000 and can go over $1,000,000. Lots of federal jobs, no state income tax

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:11 pm
Following

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:32 pm
Israel.

It's not *hot* all year 'round, but winters are mild.

We certainly have a defense industry here! Maybe you could find something equivalent to your current job.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:03 am
DrMom wrote:
Israel.

It's not *hot* all year 'round, but winters are mild.

We certainly have a defense industry here! Maybe you could find something equivalent to your current job.

Sorry I am not considering Israel. My job won't transfer and my Hebrew is almost none. I am am an immigrant here and I am not interested in doing it again.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:16 am
Atlanta?
Plenty of government jobs

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 4:57 am
Texas and Florida are both warm and have no state income taxes. Texas has Dallas and Houston with large communities and established schools. Florida has Miami along with many other communities in the general vicinity - NMB, Boca, etc. Atlanta is also pretty far south and has a nice Jewish infrastructure. Also consider Phoenix and Las Vegas, and for more money, LA and San Diego.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:25 am
Depending on what your job specifications are- check out LA.
We have plenty of schools- for just high school we have YULA (MO, boys and girls subdivisions on different campuses), Bais Yaakov (girls, Yeshivish), Chabad (boys and girls on separate campuses), Bnos Esther (chassidish, girls), MBY (boys), Yeshiva Gedola (boys, Yeshivish). And I am missing a few...
It is more expensive than some of the smaller communities but we have amazing weather, usually a coat is only needed for a few weeks a winter, no snow, and barely rain. (This year was wet! I actually bought rain coats for the kids!!!). We also have tons on creature comforts of a larger frum community like stores, restaurants ....

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:33 am
San Diego is beautiful weather year round. Has a few small Jewish communities. There’s both a boys and girls high school.

But homes are not cheap. Looking at least $600-$800k minimum for a 4 bed home near a shul. But San Diego is definitely cheaper than LA.

There are good state college schools in the area.

San Diego is Navy town, so there will definitely be DOD jobs around here.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:52 am
Not even Sahara is warm year round? Maybe you consider 10 warm?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:02 am
Ruchel wrote:
Not even Sahara is warm year round? Maybe you consider 10 warm?

I dont appreciate your irony. We know you are smart but I am too and no need to rub it in my face here. I asked a reasonable question and if you are not contributing to answering it, move on.
Im living in a miserable climate town with mild but dark nasty and cold enough winter's, and my oldest teen is suffering from severe depression greatly exacerbated by winter and darkness. She is crying for summer every day and I am willing to uproot my life here and my other children to consider this move.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:03 am
amother wrote:
San Diego is beautiful weather year round. Has a few small Jewish communities. There’s both a boys and girls high school.

But homes are not cheap. Looking at least $600-$800k minimum for a 4 bed home near a shul. But San Diego is definitely cheaper than LA.

There are good state college schools in the area.

San Diego is Navy town, so there will definitely be DOD jobs around here.

Thank you. We are definitely considering San Diego

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:06 am
amother wrote:
Depending on what your job specifications are- check out LA.
We have plenty of schools- for just high school we have YULA (MO, boys and girls subdivisions on different campuses), Bais Yaakov (girls, Yeshivish), Chabad (boys and girls on separate campuses), Bnos Esther (chassidish, girls), MBY (boys), Yeshiva Gedola (boys, Yeshivish). And I am missing a few...
It is more expensive than some of the smaller communities but we have amazing weather, usually a coat is only needed for a few weeks a winter, no snow, and barely rain. (This year was wet! I actually bought rain coats for the kids!!!). We also have tons on creature comforts of a larger frum community like stores, restaurants ....

Was looking at LA because there were a couple of jobs open in PT. Hueneme and Pt. Magu but hubby said commute is unreasonable. Also looked at rents and how do ppl make it? And tuition at YULa is listed at 34 k, how are they with financial aid?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:07 am
doctorima wrote:
Texas and Florida are both warm and have no state income taxes. Texas has Dallas and Houston with large communities and established schools. Florida has Miami along with many other communities in the general vicinity - NMB, Boca, etc. Atlanta is also pretty far south and has a nice Jewish infrastructure. Also consider Phoenix and Las Vegas, and for more money, LA and San Diego.

Do Phoenix and Las Vegas have orthodox high schools ?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:09 am
South FL has many orthodox communities. Definitely warm. No state tax income tax either. Housing can be pricey. What's your budget?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:12 am
amother wrote:
South FL has many orthodox communities. Definitely warm. No state tax income tax either. Housing can be pricey. What's your budget?

Our house here will probably sell for at least $430K.... Depending on what kind of job hubby gets we could likely go higher. For rent the budget is $2.5K to $3k or so. But of course also depends on how schools are with financial aid. We have five children so we need that.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:40 am
amother wrote:
I dont appreciate your irony. We know you are smart but I am too and no need to rub it in my face here. I asked a reasonable question and if you are not contributing to answering it, move on.
Im living in a miserable climate town with mild but dark nasty and cold enough winter's, and my oldest teen is suffering from severe depression greatly exacerbated by winter and darkness. She is crying for summer every day and I am willing to uproot my life here and my other children to consider this move.

I think all Rachel was saying is that there are many places that are not warm all year around, but they do have mild winters.
Would you consider those places?

Sheesh.

gumby

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:41 am
Boca, Miami , Hollywood - southern Florida

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:50 am
DrMom wrote:
I think all Rachel was saying is that there are many places that are not warm all year around, but they do have mild winters.

Sheesh.

Yes then she should have said it exactly like that. I will consider short periods of cool weather as long as it is sunny.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:12 am
DrMom wrote:

Sheesh.

It's a very strange way of asking that question, if that's what she intended. South Florida is indeed warm year round. I have no idea what Sahara has to do with anything.

Op, Boca Raton would fit your criteria, including budget. I have no idea regarding your job, though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating