Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Crochet and Knit - your input please

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:24 pm
I've recently taught myself basic knitting and crochet. I see that there is plenty to learn in both. Before I invest hours in effort and the $$$ to make it worthwhile (my latest creations are certainly amateur looking), I'd like to know from you all:
Is there is a contemporary knit or crochet style?
I'm not into granny squares and fuzzy baby blankets (no grandchildren yet, and also no babies). I have seen a bit of amigurumi which is cute and doesn't look like it takes too long... as long it is appreciated by its recipients doesn't end up becoming clutter Smile

I'd love to know what I should work to master. What contemporary items / stitches / styles would you recommend? I'd like to make attractive and contemporary items.

Thanks so much!

(anon because discussing in real life)

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:26 pm
I crochet if you're serious you need to go onto Reddit and join the crochet forum

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:33 pm
Join Ravelry.com. It is an amazing forum for knitters and crocheters.

Also check out local knitting shops in your area as opposed to just going to a all-purpose craft store like AC Moore. The local shop usually have innovative patterns, classes, supplies for you to stretch your wings.

Lesia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 2:36 pm
I knit. I don’t think there’s a current style; you just look up patterns you like and learn the stitches. I knit scarves, hats, baby blankets, teddy bears. I get almost all my patterns online and my favorite website is Purl Soho.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:05 pm
Purl Soho has some beautiful items!
I guess my question was really stemming from the fact that I don't see anyone around me knitting... I decided to learn it when I had to spend a long time resting - and I was going cross eyed from the computer Smile I just always associated knitting with my grandma's generation and crochet as something you need to make a snood.
I find it relaxing but didn't want to be putting all this effort into something that might not get appreciated.
Those are some really beautiful items on purl soho that noone would dream of calling kitch!
Inspired!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:10 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I crochet if you're serious you need to go onto Reddit and join the crochet forum

A bit ignorant on this stuff - what is Reddit? Would Nativ filter allow that?

Lesia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:11 pm
Interesting you should say that. There are actually huge numbers of young people who knit. I take my projects on long train rides and several conductors have commented that they see it often and it seems to be the hip new thing among young people. Men included.

Everyone that I have knit for has really appreciated the handiwork, time and effort that goes into each piece. I ensure that my pieces are always perfect, as otherwise it looks shoddy and “homemade.”

If you’re on social media, I can recommend a group that shows beautiful work, and also where you can ask questions.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 3:43 pm
Lesia wrote:
Interesting you should say that. There are actually huge numbers of young people who knit. I take my projects on long train rides and several conductors have commented that they see it often and it seems to be the hip new thing among young people. Men included.

Everyone that I have knit for has really appreciated the handiwork, time and effort that goes into each piece. I ensure that my pieces are always perfect, as otherwise it looks shoddy and “homemade.”

If you’re on social media, I can recommend a group that shows beautiful work, and also where you can ask questions.

I guess I'm not hanging with the hip crowd Wink .
Right now I don't have facebook on my home (filtered) computer, and would prefer to keep it like that if possible. Is there any other way of joining a group?

Lesia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I'm not hanging with the hip crowd Wink .
Right now I don't have facebook on my home (filtered) computer, and would prefer to keep it like that if possible. Is there any other way of joining a group?

Not Facebook groups, but perhaps the Reddit forum that was suggested above.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 6:42 pm
Using thinner yarn and smaller needles usually leaves a less “rustic” overall impression.

Finishing skills are not that hard to learn and make a big difference in the quality/appearance of the final product.

Don’t knit for others. Non-knitters have NO IDEA what goes into a project, and may not share your taste. Knitters will appreciate the effort, but still might not really like the item.

Learn to make what you like, or what you like to give, or what feels comfortable in your hands. I don’t do socks, for example, because I don’t enjoy working with double pointed needles. If you want to knit while doing something else, you will probably do better with simple stitches and fewer colors or shaping maneuvers. On the other hand, if you enjoy concentrating on the craft, you might do well with highly shaped pieces or fancy colorwork.

Definitely look around Ravelry. It has its own culture, which you can take or leave, and lots of subgroups, all different. Don’t be put off by everyone telling you that Thou Shalt knit with expensive wool if you really prefer a nice acrylic from the craft store.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:40 am
Gulp, I just looked at the prices of the better yarns.
I'd better get good before I start with those...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing