Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Not giving teachers shalach manos
1  2  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:37 pm
Would it be terrible to not give any shalach manos to teachers this year? My kids have a lot of teachers and while I appreciate them all, giving them all mm would add up to a lot. Is it worse to give nothing at all or something homemade and cheap?

monkeys

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:40 pm
I would give a simple mishloach manos and write a nice thank you card. It’s the thought that counts.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 10:47 pm
I would give something cheap rather than not give at all. I got cellophane bags (comes out to 20 cents each. I got a huge bag of silver zazas for 3 something for the whole bag. I give a drink and choc bar klik bars on sale. The whole thing is 2 dollars. Some years I bake muffins and give w a drink.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:06 pm
I'm skipping the therapists this time but giving the morahs. It's just too much to do it all. Each kid has on average 5 teachers and 5 therapists so even just the teachers is plenty.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:09 pm
You can get loaf pans and make cakes. I once received a babka cake, I don't think anything else, and the nicest card. Didnt need anything more.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 12 2019, 11:27 pm
I think it depends where you live.

Where I grew up, giving teachers was not (and still is not) a thing.

But we had school for two hours Purim morning so the teachers got to see our costumes, which I know is part of it. (It wasn't school school. It was just to daven, hear the megillah, give tzeddakah, see everyone's costumes, and exchange mishloach manot - which we made in school a couple of days before. ie. they were all idential and everyone gave to someone else, literally just for the mitzvah. Anything else was done outside of school)

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:01 am
I am very very thankful that my school's PTA offers a group gift. If yours doesn't, maybe see if you can team up with other parents for next year. No way would I be able to personally pack and deliver to all teachers.

I do give to my kids' therapists. Nothing too fancy but something that presents nicely. They don't get tips or perks like regular teachers do, which is justified because they get paid better, but they still deserve a personal token of appreciation because the heart they need to put into their jobs is not a financial line item. So I figure MM is a good time to reach out.

It's definitely the thought that counts so don't worry about cheap.

Spaghetti7

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:49 am
Small and cheap but meaningful. It's the thought and expression of hakaras hatov that counts, not whether it's expensive.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:52 am
Be year on the last school day before Purim I saw that the teachers were taking cabs home due to the plethora of meshloach Manos, many in fancy displays. They usually go by bus. Someone needs to pay for those cabs...

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:09 am
I think it's totally understandable if you cannot afford a MM, but I would take the time to write them each a card, with at least a few personalized sentences on why you appreciate them.
Then do a basic two bracha mishloach manot if that's all you can afford (Apple and box drink?).
IMO a personal note is way more meaningful than extra junk thrown together to be mekayem giving all the teachers.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:48 am
As a teacher, I will tell you I so don't care what you give me, but it is nice to see that I matter to you and you remembered me.
Ive had kids give me the same food they give to their friends, I've had parents give me over the top packages.
One of my favorite was a small box of chocolates with something else small (don't even remember what) and a beautiful note.

rowo

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:55 am
We do a joint one for the teachers.
Depending on the size of the class and number of teachers I think $5-10 is collected from each kid.
For each of my kids we have a class whatsapp group for all the mothers, so it's not hard to organise.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:00 am
I think it's a good time of year to show appreciation to the teachers for all their hard work

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
Would it be terrible to not give any shalach manos to teachers this year? My kids have a lot of teachers and while I appreciate them all, giving them all mm would add up to a lot. Is it worse to give nothing at all or something homemade and cheap?

It's a very nice thing to do. Even something small/ inexpensive. But it isn't necessary and if it's an expense or effort that you're just not able to do this year, then no, it is not terrible to skip it.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:14 am
I think something little goes a long way!and for rebbeim its A MUST!
Its shows appreciation to someone who put their heart and soul into teaching your child!
A chocolate bar wrapped in a bow with a note shouldnt take time...

I taught before I got married
I got married less than a week before Purim
I brought my students MM to school erev Purim
I was horrified that NOT A SINGLE parents gave MM, acknowledged that I gave or even did anything for me for my engagement or wedding

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:46 am
I think its very rude. I would give teachers before giving friends.
If you honestly cant afford to give any shaloach manos and are ONLY giving 2 people 2 basic items, then fine. But if you're giving out then you should give teachers too.
My personal opinion.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
If you honestly cant afford to give any shaloach manos and are ONLY giving 2 people 2 basic items, then fine. But if you're giving out then you should give teachers too.
My personal opinion.

I wouldn't call it rude at all. It's nice & important to show Hakaras Hatov, and one should definitely find occasions and ways to do so. But Hakaras Hatov is not the primary theme of a day, nor is it limited to this day. I think we've gone over the top with MM for teachers and Rebbes. Purim is a time to reach out to our family and friends, extend our hands to the poor and find time to celebrate together and be happy. All this becomes sidetracked when we create so many additional obligations for this one day.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:27 am
How about letting each child give one teacher?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
My personal opinion.

How on earth is it rude? Everyone is so entitled.

nchr

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:42 am
I would just give a letter. Money is standard in some communities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics