Home

Appetizer Challenge
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:20 am
Hi, all! Can you please help me figure out a Purim seudah appetizer for about 40 people? These are my criteria:
1. Fleishig (or pareve)
2. No fish
3. Something that can be put out at least a little before (I.e. doesn't have to be piping hot)
4. No nuts
5. I don't mind a bit of a patchke, but nothing with 37 steps or 5 different pans needed.
6. Something that looks pretty gets you extra points.
7. Not too expensive also gets you extra points (I.e. no individual portions of caviar-topped endive leaves, etc.).

What you get:
1. My eternal gratitude
2. A heartfelt bracha

Thank you!
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:37 am
I’ve done individual servings of guacamole scooped with a cylinder scoop, topped with shredded mango, and a few of pita chips on the side. Comes out very pretty.

https://www.amazon.com/CuisiPr.....amp;sr=8-1
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:57 am
I used to do a fruit cup of canned pineapple tidbits, canned mandarin oranges and frozen blueberries. You can add whip but totally not needed. Everything turns a beautiful purple. (Leave in the liquids from the cans). Everyone loves it and sooo easy!
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:54 am
I wrote a whole megilah & lost the post. I'll try again.
Wraps with cold cuts & salad mix, slice deli roll, deli muffin, deli salad.
Ramen noodle salad, nosh nish salad. Salad with roasted sweet potato chips. Sugar snap pea salad with sauteed mushroom/garlic. They sell now ready wrap bowls. Or you just put flatbreads/breadstix.
Mini rolls with garlic aoli or other dipping stuff maybe chumus/ zaatar.
Mock liver
Pasta shells with sauteed pastrami & duck sauce. Adapted from miriam Pascal.
Sushi. Fruit smoothie.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:55 am
Tongue. Slice helzel. Stuffed eggplant rollup.
Kreplach with sauteed onions.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:56 am
Salad with terra six
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:18 am
giselle wrote:
I’ve done individual servings of guacamole scooped with a cylinder scoop, topped with shredded mango, and a few of pita chips on the side. Comes out very pretty.

https://www.amazon.com/CuisiPr.....amp;sr=8-1

This sounds great! The guacamole doesn’t start turning brown?
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:20 am
mamaleh wrote:
I used to do a fruit cup of canned pineapple tidbits, canned mandarin oranges and frozen blueberries. You can add whip but totally not needed. Everything turns a beautiful purple. (Leave in the liquids from the cans). Everyone loves it and sooo easy!

You layer or you mix it all together?
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:21 am
dankbar wrote:
I wrote a whole megilah & lost the post. I'll try again.
Wraps with cold cuts & salad mix, slice deli roll, deli muffin, deli salad.
Ramen noodle salad, nosh nish salad. Salad with roasted sweet potato chips. Sugar snap pea salad with sauteed mushroom/garlic. They sell now ready wrap bowls. Or you just put flatbreads/breadstix.
Mini rolls with garlic aoli or other dipping stuff maybe chumus/ zaatar.
Mock liver
Pasta shells with sauteed pastrami & duck sauce. Adapted from miriam Pascal.
Sushi. Fruit smoothie.

Wow, thanks! Lots of options here.
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:22 am
dankbar wrote:
Salad with terra six

So this is a separate quandary- I cannot find Terra Stix anywhere these days. I fear they are not being made anymore.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:36 am
giselle wrote:
I’ve done individual servings of guacamole scooped with a cylinder scoop, topped with shredded mango, and a few of pita chips on the side. Comes out very pretty.

https://www.amazon.com/CuisiPr.....amp;sr=8-1


Wow! Very excited about this cylinder scoop. It's shown for ice cream. Does it release the guac as neatly? Could use for tuna/egg/chicken salad, etc??
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:52 am
kenz wrote:
This sounds great! The guacamole doesn’t start turning brown?


I made it fresh... if you leave the pit nearby it shouldn’t turn brown, as with any open avocado.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:53 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Wow! Very excited about this cylinder scoop. It's shown for ice cream. Does it release the guac as neatly? Could use for tuna/egg/chicken salad, etc??


It came out very neatly. Should work for any of those with the right consistency. I’ve also seen it used for mashed potatoes with shredded meat on top.
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:54 am
Eggrolls are easy and can be presented in a nice way on the table. I made one from the new Eished Chayil cookbook and it was pretty good.
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:08 am
flowerpower wrote:
Eggrolls are easy and can be presented in a nice way on the table. I made one from the new Eished Chayil cookbook and it was pretty good.


How would you plate it?
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:10 am
giselle wrote:
I made it fresh... if you leave the pit nearby it shouldn’t turn brown, as with any open avocado.

I don’t always find that the pit helps. Do you think an hour before is ok? Can I bother you to share your guacamole recipe?
Back to top

kenz




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:11 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Wow! Very excited about this cylinder scoop. It's shown for ice cream. Does it release the guac as neatly? Could use for tuna/egg/chicken salad, etc??

I actually already own this. It works pretty well with anything that’s not too sticky.
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:08 am
kenz wrote:
You layer or you mix it all together?


Mix it all together. Ratio is approx 4 sm cans mandarins/2 cans pineapple/1 bag blueberries.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:50 pm
kenz wrote:
I don’t always find that the pit helps. Do you think an hour before is ok? Can I bother you to share your guacamole recipe?


Hmm hard to say about the hour... I’d prob do it, but I don’t want to guarantee. Maybe put in container in fridge?

I usually just do avocado, lime juice and garlic salt (generous amount of salt is key - taste to get the right amount, of course don’t want too much). When I served it as an appetizer I may have added tomatoes. But that’s the base.
Back to top

aycg




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:51 pm
[quote="kenz"]So this is a separate quandary- I cannot find Terra Stix anywhere these days. I fear they are not being made anymore.[/quote

They stoped making it but I’ve done the terra salad with terra chips, just crushed
It a bit. Actually came out really pretty and crunchy.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus

Related Topics Replies Last Post
CHALLAH BAKING CHALLENGE! 6 Today at 4:54 pm View last post
Canned salmon appetizer 1 Mon, Jan 28 2019, 7:52 pm View last post
What's your big challenge in Life??? HUGS!
by amother
223 Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:16 pm View last post
Challenge - Help Me Find a Shabbos Top!
by amother
10 Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:46 pm View last post
Revive 'BALABUSTA LOG CHALLENGE' ?
by amother
0 Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:48 pm View last post

Jump to: