Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel, my vent
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gingertop

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:10 am
Mevater wrote:
Im sure that in Geula there are some comfortable Charedi business owners and tech employees as well. How come we didnt see even one?

Also how many elderly Rebbitzens use the word "Tuches", if you think about it?

-Tuches was completely out of character, I agree. Non-Yiddish speakers tend to think of Yiddish as a naughty language.

-Most business owners in Geulah are a) not very wealthy b) not yerushalmi. Not too many chareidim either, but even a smaller percentage is yerushalmi.

-I have several yerushalmi and chareidi Israeli friends. Very few have even one wealthy family member in extended family tree. In fact, I would put the Shtisels neatly in the middle of chareidi financial comfort, towards the wealthy side of yerushalmi.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:26 am
gingertop wrote:
I have several yerushalmi and chareidi Israeli friends. Very few have even one wealthy family member in extended family tree. In fact, I would put the Shtisels neatly in the middle of chareidi financial comfort, towards the wealthy side of yerushalmi.

Even these days with all the American raised kids living in Yerushalayim, with parents sending money from America, they dont start businesses, etc?

gingertop

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:32 am
Mevater wrote:
Even these days with all the American raised kids living in Yerushalayim, with parents sending money from America, they dont start businesses, etc?

It's a different community. Americans are not even Israeli charedim, definitely not Yerushalmis. Very different attitudes and backgrounds.

For example, an Israeli neighbor of ours is a computer programmer. His own parents don't know! He has kids in shidduchim and his own family cannot know that he works. He is still in kollel during the day.

Stisel is a a family in Meah Shearim. There are people who work there but employment options are limited, their own mosdos pay poorly because of rampant poverty... it's very hard to break out of that cycle.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:44 am
gingertop wrote:
Stisel is a a family in Meah Shearim. There are people who work there but employment options are limited, their own mosdos pay poorly because of rampant poverty... it's very hard to break out of that cycle.

Shtisel (Hebrew: שטיסל‎) is an Israeli television drama series about a fictional Jewish family living in Geula, Jerusalem.[1] Created and written by Ori Elon and Yehonatan Indursky,[1] the series premiered on 29 June 2013 on yes Oh, and is distributed by the online streaming service Netflix.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtisel

Also, many of the boys in Shulem's and Akiva's classrooms dont even have payos!

gingertop

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:52 am
Mevater wrote:
Shtisel (Hebrew: שטיסל‎) is an Israeli television drama series about a fictional Jewish family living in Geula, Jerusalem.[1] Created and written by Ori Elon and Yehonatan Indursky,[1] the series premiered on 29 June 2013 on yes Oh, and is distributed by the online streaming service Netflix.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtisel

Meah Shearim bleeds into Geulah. Two sides of kikar shabbat intersection, with many yerushalmis living on the other side.
At any rate, the Shtisels seemed to me to be a Perushim family, like my dd's babysitter who doesn't live in meah shearim or geulah but whose community is centered there. Maybe I read them wrong. It's been a while since I've watched the series.

All I'm saying is that compared to the financial situation of many yerushalmis and non-yerushalmi Israelis, the Shtisels are not especially poor.

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:52 am
gingertop wrote:
-Tuches was completely out of character, I agree. Non-Yiddish speakers tend to think of Yiddish as a naughty language.

I thought the foul-mouthed rebbetzin was going senile. It's not an uncommon side effect. :/

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:55 am
Rappel wrote:
I thought the foul-mouthed rebbetzin was going senile. It's not an uncommon side effect. :/

Senile, and gave perfect change in her "money business"?

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:56 am
Shulem is paying for SIX apartments.

They are definitely not poor.

rivkam

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:55 am
Firstly it's worth noting that in Israel the lifestyle is simpler. Particularly in Jerusalem rent is crazy high so people live in smaller apartments.
As above posters have written, hareidim in Israel are poorer. My charedi friends work like crazy, cutting corners where ever they can to make ends meet on one income as their dh is in full time learning. My dati leumi friends mostly are two income households and are doing fine financially.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:05 am
sequoia wrote:
Shulem is paying for SIX apartments.

They are definitely not poor.

How from being a Melamed?

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:08 am
Mevater wrote:

It’s never explained.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:12 am
sequoia wrote:
It’s never explained.

I assume some Yerusha.

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:13 am
Mevater wrote:

Many Charedi families collect money, and or save money in order to help pay for their children's mortgages. They may be paying 50% of a mortgage, or a third with the inlaws and the young couple each paying a third. This is standard practice in many charedi families in Israel.

I think it portrays a pretty accurate picture of charedi Yerushalmi life, obviously with some flair and drama, after all, we are talking about a TV show.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:16 am
Hatemywig wrote:
Many Charedi families collect money.

If more are collecting than giving, who are the givers? Non Charedis?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:06 pm
Mevater wrote:
Senile, and gave perfect change in her "money business"?

She didn't. She kept more than her commission. Remember her telling Ruchami to tell her mother to milk the cow?

gingertop

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:11 pm
Mevater wrote:

There is a culture of tzedaka in Israel that is quite unbelievable. People give even when they don't have a lot. My husband once did a on-the-day-of-the-chasunah emergency hachnassas kallah drive for a guy who was getting married without having an apartment to move into... and he raised nearly a hundred thousand shekel from American and Israeli friends within a few hours. Some of the people who gave were impoverished themselves. It was incredible.

gingertop

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:21 pm
Mevater wrote:

Adding: There aren't more collecting than giving.

Most Yerushalmis I know manage to make ends meet.
The way Yerushalmis talk about it, not having to go to America to collect is an achievement. I asked a friend who took on a second job how she was managing, she said it's hard but at least her husband wouldn't have to go to America. My husband gets that all the time when he talks to struggling business owners. A lot of them are disappointed in what they make but proud that they don't have to collect.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
She didn't. She kept more than her commission. Remember her telling Ruchami to tell her mother to milk the cow?

That doesnt prove senility, it prives dishonesty, haha.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:26 pm
Mevater wrote:
That doesnt prove senility, it prives dishonesty, haha.

Of course. I'm trying to say that she wasn't exactly the best person. Why would it be shocking that she uses bad language?

Lesia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:28 pm
Rappel wrote:

It doesn’t either necessarily mean that she’s an actual rebbetzin. Seems to be just an honorary title for an old woman.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics