Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you feed your 8-9 month old?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:09 pm
Is it possible that one meatball would be enough for a 9 month old?

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:13 pm
"food before one is just for fun"
Nutrition should be coming from breast milk or formula. Solids are complementary only and are mostly sensory. So yes a whole meatball is a lot! At that age lunch was a few pieces of pasta, half or 1/3 yogurt bar and some fresh fruit or cooked veggies.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:20 pm
Yes, one meatball is enough. Obviously, if the baby looks hungry or wants more, offer more.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:31 pm
trixx wrote:
Nutrition should be coming from breast milk or formula. Solids are complementary only and are mostly sensory. So yes a whole meatball is a lot! At that age lunch was a few pieces of pasta, half or 1/3 yogurt bar and some fresh fruit or cooked veggies.

and here in Canada Pediatricians are fine with introducing milk (and stopping formula) at 9 months if baby is eating a nice selection of food... so there are differences out there on that.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:58 pm
trixx wrote:

He won’t take his formula. He drinks maybe 10 ounces a day total. I’ve posted about it before.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:35 pm
The problem it seems is that your baby isn't receiving enough formula...The responses here are assuming your baby is being primarily formula or beastmilk fed. And then you add on solids just for fun afterwards..: You must speak to your pediatrician about this, as the primary source of nutrition until 12 months is formula/ breastmilk... good luck!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
The problem it seems is that your baby isn't receiving enough formula...The responses here are assuming your baby is being primarily formula or beastmilk fed. And then you add on solids just for fun afterwards..: You must speak to your pediatrician about this, as the primary source of nutrition until 12 months is formula/ breastmilk... good luck!

I did so he said I should feed him solids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:42 pm
U can most definitely- and SHOULD- give dairy unless allergic or intolerant. You should hold off from cows MILK (like the actual liquid) until a year. Dairy is fine. Yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, tiny cut up pieces of cream cheese sandwiches. Mix cottage cheese with baby food jars. That's a big winner.
Give roasted veggies (soft) as finger food. Chick peas, peas, corn, beans. Quinoa, rice, tiny pasta stars. Ground meat cut really small. Dry cereal.

For all of you saying that solids is not important- IT IS SOSOSOSOSO IMPORTANT, AND STOP SAYING AND BELIEVING IT!!! I am a speech pathologist and I specialize in pediatric feeding. 8/10 times when a child who is like a year old wont eat solids, it's because the mother started too late. I've worked with 10 months old who would gag and vomit after eating one single cheerio. This is not a joke. Start as young as you can.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
He won’t take his formula. He drinks maybe 10 ounces a day total. I’ve posted about it before.

Did you consult with gi? Feeding therapy might be warranted

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
I did so he said I should feed him solids.

You're doing great.

Does he drink water? Thats a good life long habit.

abaker

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 7:48 pm
Avocado
Bamba
Ww bread broken up into tiny pieces
Wheat puffs cereal or puffed rice cereal
Canned veggies and beans for finger food, peas and carrots are a favorite.

My just turned 10 month old can eat a whole jar of baby food or a whole banana in one sitting. I just feed until baby doesn't want anymore.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
You're doing great.

Does he drink water? Thats a good life long habit.
yes, he loves water.

sweet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:29 pm
Baby jars make me nauseous.. I never gave..
Babies can eat everything you can with the exception of popcorn, nuts, honey and whole grapes..

Bread, grilled cheese, yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal.
Chicken, potatoes, orzo, rice. Sweet potatoe fries, at one point I would bake 1 every night. It was a favorite.
Babies have very strong gums.

jfk92

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:30 pm
My 8 month old takes a bottle morning and night only. So all day its solids. Texture is between a puree and mash, except finger foods which I find hell chew better. He has a serious apetite. I offer 3/4 meals w 2/ 3 snacks not including the bottles. So for instance breakfast would be farina/oatmeal with pear (put in the processor) and another fruit or veggie in there. With little bits of cheese for him to self feed and make meal time easier. Then a snack would be blueberries or small peices of bananana. Lunch ill puree chicken soup, (he is particularly happy with extra carrot) sometimes ill put broth in the bottle with it. Hydration is very important!! Make sure baby is drinking. And maybe some butternut squash on the table to finger feed. Dinner would include a healthy fat so usually a blend of avocado with yogurt a bit of fruit. I find thats good on his stomach as a last meal. Also he may munch on homeade teething biscuits as well. Oh and Sometimes he doesnt take much of chicken dishes so ill start with that and if he doesnt take much swap to buckwheat with veggies.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
It's not hives. It's like one or two tiny red blotches that clear up within an hour usually. I can't imagine a real allergy would present like that.

My kids had that sometimes with specific sharp food like sour pickle or cinammon but only if there was direct skin contact. If they ate it without smearing it all over themselves (as that age kids are wont to do) they were fine. They all had it and all outgrew it when started eating more 'neatly'.

chilax

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:41 pm
whatever is for supper that day, pureed in mini blender + some water
my kids never liked baby cereal, So I blend cereals like Chex and cheerios till it becones powder, and add water. my baby loves it!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
yes, he loves water.

Great - so he's hydrated.

Is he getting enough iron and all of the other stuff found in formula?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
Great - so he's hydrated.

Is he getting enough iron and all of the other stuff found in formula?

I give him formula in a bottle and I try to get it in also with his oatmeal cereal. I also give him a multi-vitamin. I’m doing my best. I can’t force him to drink...

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
I give him formula in a bottle and I try to get it in also with his oatmeal cereal. I also give him a multi-vitamin. I’m doing my best. I can’t force him to drink...

You’re doing great.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:50 am
I was advised to introduce one new food a week, and watch for a reaction. If no reaction, then no worries. Aside from honey, the pediatrician didn't worry about restrictions.

DD absolutely loved sweet potatoes, and for a long time that was the only thing she would eat seriously. Everything else she just played with. Eventually I got to get her to try other things. If she rejected a new food, I'd forget it for a while and try again a month or so later.

We never did baby food in a jar. Someone gave us some, but she wouldn't eat it, so I ended up cooking with it instead. Meaty jars went into soups, and fruit/carrot type jars went into cakes and kugels.

It's funny, all the things she loved as a baby, she hates now. All the things she hated, are now things she loves!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics