Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Guy Stuff: the body book for boys

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 9:46 am
Has anyone read this book? I'm wondering if there's anything in it that conflicts with halacha/ hashkafa. I can buy it and modify as needed, but I'd rather get some input first if possible. TIA

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:56 am
Yes, I found it to be wholesome and appropriate, and well written to capture boys interests

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:33 pm
Thank you. What age did you feel it's best suited for?

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:00 pm
Following

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:30 pm
It's hard to say. Very early puberty. I gave it to my son at 13 and he mocked it as "stupid" and refused to read it after flipping through it. But that's his personality. Like he knew everything, so why did I bother?
It covers topics like hygiene, changing bodies, hormones, exercise, etc. Maybe 11/12?

I wish I had shared it with him earlier on when he would have been more receptive to learning (accurate) information

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:01 pm
Oh, whew, I reread the subject line. I thought it said GAY stuff: the body book for boys, and my eyes almost fell out in shock.

rowo

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:09 pm
I read through it and was happy to give it to my 11 year old son.

It was good for him to read that regularly changing socks and underwear is a 'thing' and not some nonsense his mother drives him crazy over Wink

I think there is an illustration of the stages of growth in the private area, but I told him this book is just for him at this stage - not to share it with his sisters.
(But they've seen little brothers running around naked at bath time, so it's not like it would be something shocking..)

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:24 pm
Haven't read it yet, but I think it is the equivalent to "The Care and Keeping of You" for girls. I am not at that stage for my son yet, but I got it out of the library with the thought that it might be for him when we get to that stage. I am optimistic, because I gave both volumes of The Care and Keeping of You (which I like) to my daughter when she was ten.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 5:30 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
Haven't read it yet, but I think it is the equivalent to "The Care and Keeping of You" for girls. I am not at that stage for my son yet, but I got it out of the library with the thought that it might be for him when we get to that stage. I am optimistic, because I gave both volumes of The Care and Keeping of You (which I like) to my daughter when she was ten.

Great idea! I just reserved it at the library so I can read it myself. I'll buy it if it turns out I'd like him to have it.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 7:43 pm
Is this a Jewish book? Where can I buy it?

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 10:27 pm
It's not a Jewish book. I imagine it can be purchased at any book store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children