Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Sirens went off in Tel Aviv - two rockets fired from Gaza
1  2  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 1:54 pm
BChasdei Hashem Iron dome intercepted one and one fell in an open area no casualties. Several treated for shock.
Davening.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 2:39 pm
Yikes.

Davening for a peaceful Shabbos for everyone.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
BChasdei Hashem Iron dome intercepted one and one fell in an open area no casualties. Several treated for shock.
Davening.

Hashem yishmor. And the sick part is the left in Israel is still calling for giving the “palestinians” more land (they say evacuating the Jews from Gush Katif was not a failed experiment!). Yes Gaza was such a success let’s reward their terror with more precious Israeli land! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:37 pm
FWIW, I was told that this was intended as an attempt at diversion from internal problems in Gaza, rather than a specific attempt on Israel, if that makes sense (well none of it makes sense really Sad )

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:41 pm
It was so scary! I was home alone with 2 kids and not expecting it at all. My first real siren since I made aliyah. At first didn’t know if it was real or not. Then I heard the bang!
Took me a while to stop shaking.
Davening it doesn’t happen again.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
FWIW, I was told that this was intended as an attempt at diversion from internal problems in Gaza, rather than a specific attempt on Israel, if that makes sense (well none of it makes sense really Sad )

This was intended by whom? The Palestinians? Oh yeah I’d believe them...not.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 10:56 pm
Families in the south live with this all the time. When two rockets are aimed at Tel Aviv, all of a sudden people take note.

There is internal division in Gaza. Some people there want to hit Israel as hard as possible, no matter what the consequences. Some are happy to fire at Sderot all the time but don't want to hit so hard that the Israeli army will actually invade the Gaza strip.

Many Israeli politicians and generals don't want to get involved in Gaza at all, because the options are:
1 Reoccupying an area full of hostile residents. This is likely to to cost the lives of many soldiers, with no clear victory.
2. Carpet bombing Gaza. This involves killing hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom are innocent civilians. Morally unacceptable and likely to provoke the Arab world.
3. Keeping the status quo. That is, protecting the borders, and occasionally attacking a Hamas base just to show what we can do.

Option 3, with the fewest casualties but no resolution, is seen by many as the best choice for now.

Life is complicated.

SacN

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:08 pm
Quote:
It was so scary! I was home alone with 2 kids and not expecting it at all. My first real siren since I made aliyah. At first didn’t know if it was real or not. Then I heard the bang!

You have my sympathy. We made aliyah with two little kids right before Tzuk Eitan to an area that had multiple sirens per day for the first time ever. Welcome to Israel!
I still remember being scared to shower if I was home alone and rushing to the stairs with my neighbors in a bathrobe and snood with shampoo dripping down my back and the two sleeping babies in my arms. On the upside, I got to know my neighbors well, and now I know to just always expect it. It took a while after that for any siren to not make me jump.

But for perspective, talk to people who were here during the Gulf War. Gaza is a time bomb, unfortunately. Such a shame.

etky

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
Families in the south live with this all the time. When two rockets are aimed at Tel Aviv, all of a sudden people take note.

There is internal division in Gaza. Some people there want to hit Israel as hard as possible, no matter what the consequences. Some are happy to fire at Sderot all the time but don't want to hit so hard that the Israeli army will actually invade the Gaza strip.

Many Israeli politicians and generals don't want to get involved in Gaza at all, because the options are:
1 Reoccupying an area full of hostile residents. This is likely to to cost the lives of many soldiers, with no clear victory.
2. Carpet bombing Gaza. This involves killing hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom are innocent civilians. Morally unacceptable and likely to provoke the Arab world.
3. Keeping the status quo. That is, protecting the borders, and occasionally attacking a Hamas base just to show what we can do.

Option 3, with the fewest casualties but no resolution, is seen by many as the best choice for now.

Life is complicated.

And also, this may represent an attempt to manipulate the results of the upcoming elections.
There's usually an upswing in Palestinian violence before an election.
Still, this was completely unexpected and unprecedented (except in the context of all-out conflict as during Tzuk Eitan). When my phone beeped with the Tzeva Adom alert and I saw "Gush Dan" listed I was sure there was a malfunction.
There were some gleeful talkbacks from people down south whose lives have revolved around the Gaza security situation for decades and whose plight is largely ignored by decision makers.
Can't say I blame them one bit.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:26 pm
Etky, which app gives you the alert?

etky

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:

Yesterday there was a protest march in Gaza over the high cost of living and the dire economic situation in the Strip.These type of protests are very rare; it is a sign that people are reaching the end of their rope. So yes, my first thought was that this was a diversion from internal problems.
Now, either to avoid the consequences or just to confound us, Hamas and the Islamic Jihad are both denying that they fired the missiles. They claim that some undisciplined fringe group fired them. Regardless, Israel is holding Hamas accountable. I mean, there's a limit Rolling Eyes

etky

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:36 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Etky, which app gives you the alert?

LOL. I don't even know really. I get a notification from the Rotternet app but I also think I get one directly from Tzeva Adom somehow, even though I don't remember downloading any app. I get two different alert tones and each notification appears twice.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 11:42 pm
Dh recently got a (kosher) smartphone. This is is something I want him to have on it. Maybe he already does.

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 12:02 am
amother wrote:

It gets easier. I'm 5 years in Israel and was home alone with 4 kids (2 x 3 month olds, 2 year old, 3.5 year old). I just sat in the stairwell with one of the babies (everyone else was asleep) wondering if today was a memorial day or if it was just a drill...
On the upside, great bonding experience with the neighbours!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 3:59 am
OP you are right that we should pray for any Jews being targeted by murderous antisemites Yimach Shemam

BUT just a rant not directed at you: it really irks me how this gets so much more attention than the DAILY rocket attacks on the Jewish families living in southern Israel. Like families in Ashkelon are class B citizens who deserve what they get for choosing to live in the south, but Tel Avivers are precious holy souls who must be shielded from not just evil but also knowledge that evil really exists.

I wish no more rockets would fall on Israel, but if it is ordained that x number of rockets must fall, then I hope that a fair share of them fall on Tel Aviv and not just the residents of the South.

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:03 am
Israeli_C wrote:
It gets easier. I'm 5 years in Israel and was home alone with 4 kids (2 x 3 month olds, 2 year old, 3.5 year old). I just sat in the stairwell with one of the babies (everyone else was asleep) wondering if today was a memorial day or if it was just a drill...
On the upside, great bonding experience with the neighbours!

Memorial day sirens are one long note.

Rocket attack sirens are a rising/falling note.

Just so you know.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:07 am
obviously none of it is acceptable
no matter where and no matter why and no matter by whom
we yidden need to be b'achdut
on our own and for our own
and against our enemies yimoch shemom

davening for Moshiach

wishing everyone Shabbat Shalom

etky

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
OP you are right that we should pray for any Jews being targeted by murderous antisemites Yimach Shemam

BUT just a rant not directed at you: it really irks me how this gets so much more attention than the DAILY rocket attacks on the Jewish families living in southern Israel. Like families in Ashkelon are class B citizens who deserve what they get for choosing to live in the south, but Tel Avivers are precious holy souls who must be shielded from not just evil but also knowledge that evil really exists.

I wish no more rockets would fall on Israel, but if it is ordained that x number of rockets must fall, then I hope that a fair share of them fall on Tel Aviv and not just the residents of the South.

That is exactly what they and the families of Sderot and Otef Azah are, de-facto, and it is unconscionable that their lives and livelihoods have become hostage to Gaza in this way and even worse that their own government basically considers them expendable.
I know that there are other national security and political considerations that render the conflct in the southern arena ancillary to 'greater threats' in the north but still. If I were a resident of Sderot or a farmer on one of the border kibbutzim whose fields had been burned this past summer I would refuse to pay taxes.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 9:21 am
DH family live in ashkelon, going there for pesach. Hope it will all be ok. I was stuck there during the last caza war in the summer nearly t years ago and it was very scary.
Evening for it to be peaceful for the sake of everyone living there- don't know how they do it.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Mar 15 2019, 9:23 am
amother wrote:

Life is complicated.

They should carpet bomb them and retake it! That experiment was a failure, trying to be nice and give the poor innocent Palestinians Israeli land to keep them quiet, and look how it worked, they’re using it to send missiles, riot against Israel, etc. they deserve nothing and they must be destroyed!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed