Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Fantasy
Previous  1  2  3

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:18 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Guards! Guards! By Terry Prachett

Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all...). How did it get there? How is the Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night involved? Can the Ankh-Morpork City Watch restore order – and the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork to power?

Magic, mayhem, and a marauding dragon...who could ask for anything more?

This was great! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read any of Terry Pratchet’s other books?

Shabbosiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:20 pm
tigerwife wrote:
This was great! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read any of Terry Pratchet’s other books?

I did! They are laugh out loud funny. I love how the actual writing is also funny, not just the plot.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 12:06 am
I'm so glad I'm giving Pratchett another chance. Even The Color of Magic (which they tell me is not the best of the series) has some hilarious satire.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 3:03 am
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin is some of the best writing out there. The book series has been adapted to what is known as the biggest TV show in the history of TV

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 3:06 am
Miri7 wrote:
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (not very medieval but swords and time travel)

Favorite series of all time.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 10:48 am
Shabbosiscoming wrote:
I did! They are laugh out loud funny. I love how the actual writing is also funny, not just the plot.

Yes!! I love his style, so sarcastic and funny. I also liked that the characters got what they needed in the end, whether they were the “good guys” or “bad guys”. It was a satisfying ending.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin is some of the best writing out there. The book series has been adapted to what is known as the biggest TV show in the history of TV

His writing is amazing, but really, really not clean. I stopped mid the first book because I just felt like I was pouring sewage into my brain. The author is so talented- I don’t think I’ve ever read such amazingly developed characters, and the way he switches viewpoints is really cool. The setting is also my favorite kind- some kind of medieval, slightly magical place with a really rich history (you need an index to keep up with the characters and places and family lines). I wish he wasn’t so perverted.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 9:39 pm
What happened to the book club? Is there a book this month?

youngishbear

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 11:24 pm
We are reading Spinning Silver.

Anyone else feels like the fantasy aspect is off to a very slow start?

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 11:28 pm
I'm sorry, I must've missed that post!
Whose the author?

ETA: nevermind I found it.
Of course, all the copies in my library are in use, so I put it on hold. Hopefully, I'll get it soon.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:10 pm
Any new fantasy recommendations? Is there some sort of new series out that is similar to Harry Potter? I’ve hear of it but don’t remember the name past King something...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room