Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
S/o: Hatzala transportation - only Maimonides?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:43 pm
This is a spinoff of a post on another thread. Is it true that Hatzala of Brooklyn will only transport to Maimonides and not to any of the Manhattan hospitals?

What happens if you need medical assistance but want to go to NYU/Mount Sinai/Columbia/Cornell/etc. etc. instead of Maimonides? Is there no ambulance service that will take you there?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
This is a spinoff of a post on another thread. Is it true that Hatzala of Brooklyn will only transport to Maimonides and not to any of the Manhattan hospitals?

What happens if you need medical assistance but want to go to NYU/Mount Sinai/Columbia/Cornell/etc. etc. instead of Maimonides? Is there no ambulance service that will take you there?

We had to take an uber.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:45 pm
But what if you're having a medical emergency and need to be monitored while being transported (but are under the care of a Manhattan doctor who has privileges at a hospital there)? And what if speed matters and you really need an ambulance vs. an uber?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
But what if you're having a medical emergency and need to be monitored while being transported (but are under the care of a Manhattan doctor who has privileges at a hospital there)? And what if speed matters and you really need an ambulance vs. an uber?

Then you'd have to decide if you want to risk going to maimonides with the assistance of hatzalah or risk going without medical assistance to your preferred hospital. Sad Not a good situation.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:48 pm
That is really upsetting to hear. Sad

Why is there this rule?

(Can you go to a different Brooklyn hospital, e.g. Methodist? Or is it only Maimonides?)

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:50 pm
Hatzolah will transport a critical patient to the nearest hospital. If the patient is stable and the patient's doctors are in Manhattan, either they will transport, or they will arrange for a non-emergency ambulance to transport to Manhattan.
On another note, I have never heard of Hatzolah charging the patient money for a transport (as another another posted).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
That is really upsetting to hear. Sad

Why is there this rule?

(Can you go to a different Brooklyn hospital, e.g. Methodist? Or is it only Maimonides?)

Only Maimonides unless c"v one needs a center that Maimo doesn't have like trauma unit then they'll take to Lutheran (is it still called that) or burn unit to Cornell if it's very serious.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:51 pm
By law an ambulance (unless you call private) has to take you to the nearest hospital unless something isn't available at that hospital. This has nothing to do with hatzalah
Where I live (very very far from NY) we have a hospital close to us that is mediocre at best and that is where an ambulance will always take you. That's why most people drive or take a cab to a further top notch hospital - unless it's literally life or death - instead of taking an ambulance

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
Hatzolah will transport a critical patient to the nearest hospital. If the patient is stable and the patient's doctors are in Manhattan, either they will transport, or they will arrange for a non-emergency ambulance to transport to Manhattan.
On another note, I have never heard of Hatzolah charging the patient money for a transport (as another another posted).

False. Dh was after surgery and having complications. His doctor and surgical team were in Manhattan. They said Maimo or nothing. We sent them packing.

rdmom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:53 pm
I wanted to go to mt Sinai. Hatzoloh only took me to Maimonides.
But, just that week, I heard that east midwood hatzoloh does transports. They do charge your insurance but they ended up transporting me from Maimonides to my Sinai.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:57 pm
It seems like it may be specific to each branch. I had an emergency and Hatzala took me to Methodist because they said the care for my situation would be best there. A friend had an emergency and they brought her to Lutheran since there was a doctor that specializes in that issue there. I've never heard them mention that they usually take to maimonides.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
False. Dh was after surgery and having complications. His doctor and surgical team were in Manhattan. They said Maimo or nothing. We sent them packing.

Was he stable at the time? Did they offer to call InstaCare or East Midwood? My husband is in hatzolah for many years. I know that many calls become "private transports" because the patient wants to go to Manhattan and they are stable enough to go with those medical transports.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:10 pm
I live on Long Island. DH had a complication a few hours after an outpatient procedure done at a hospital in Manhattan. We called Hatzalah and after some back and forth over the phone they ended up transporting him back to the hospital in the city instead of to a local hospital. I don't know what factors influenced their decision but it was late at night so traffic to and from was minor and they'd be out of service for less time. Plus some of the Hatzalah guys were friends of DH and perhaps literally willing to go the extra mile.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:15 pm
Transporting to the nearest hospital is the only policy that makes sense.

If someone truly needs to have hospital care as quickly as possible it would be medical malpractice to take a person from Brooklyn to Manhattan in New York City traffic.

Also, the time spent transporting a patient from Brooklyn to New York and then having the emergency workers drive back to Brooklyn again would be time that means those services are not available to those with emergency needs in the Brooklyn local area.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:15 pm
I am referring to BP hatzalah.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Transporting to the nearest hospital is the only policy that makes sense.

Also, the time spent transporting a patient from Brooklyn to New York and then having the emergency workers drive back to Brooklyn again would be time that means those services are not available to those with emergency needs in the Brooklyn local area.

Also, more time away from their businesses, jobs and families. I'm sure that traffic and time of the day/night are part of the equation. In other words, the rule is to transport to the closest facility. But, if its 2am and there's no traffic and the patient's records and doctors are in Manhattan, and the patient is stable, I imagine they would bend the rules and transport to NYC.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:37 pm
If you think you may need this service it's best to speak to them in advance and ask if they would be ok taking you other than maimonides. It also may depend on how busy they are.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:39 pm
You can always pay privately, and they will take you where you want to go. IMO there is hardly any benefit once you arrive via ambulance. Unfortunately, I have been to several different emergency rooms over the last year and when they triage, they don't seem to give ambulances priority.

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:41 pm
Hatzalah can arrange senior care or other ambulated company for transport or other hospital. They will charge your insurance

kenz

Post Sun, Mar 17 2019, 4:43 pm
I was rushed in for an emergency c-section and my dr was in NYU. Hatzolah on their own told me they were taking me there. They called to get the go-ahead from their supervisor and rushed me over. I was not charged a penny.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries