Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I can't keep up with her appetite for BOOKS!
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:38 am
DD8 reads fast, loves to read, and doesn't like to read the same thing too many times anymore. I can't keep up! Please give suggestions.

I like old books and am willing to search ebay for out-of-print favorites, I just don't know what to look for. Public library is also very available. I have people I can borrow Jewish books from but not enough to keep up with her pace.

Here's what she's been enjoying lately that needs to be replenished:
Jewish Girls Around the World series - LOVED it, too bad it's limited...
Boxcar Children - I had no idea there were so many. I think she's getting tired of it after reading like 100 of them.
Ramona books - read em all, and then everything else by Beverly Cleary for that age set
American Girl Doll books (I can't stand that they reprinted them WITHOUT the gorgeous pictures! What is the point of that?! Ugh. But I got hold of some of the originals.)

She keeps asking me for more books and I just can't keep up! I already picked through the books I left in my parents' house from when I was a kid. She enjoyed some of those. It lasted about a week and now we need MORE BOOKS PLEASE because I read those already, Ma.

I remember being somewhat like this, I don't remember it starting quite so young and there are definitely more options maturity-wise once you're more into middle school, and of course the library was a much friendlier place back then. I think when I was 8 I was doing the Babysitter Club Little Sisters.

trixx

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:03 am
Hardy boys, Nancy Drew, bobbsey twins, some classics like little princess, little lord Fauntleroy

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:10 am
Non-Jewish books:

Sideways stories from wayside school, and all in that series.
Holes.
Books by Gordon Korman (I wanna go home is one)
Goosebumps (?)
Animorphs (?)

Jewish books:
Baker's Dozen
BY Times (and I think there's a kid sister version of those but can't remember)

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:20 am
We've done all the Wayside School books (except the math one, which I love but she isn't quite ready for)
Holes is definitely not 3rd grade material! I think Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys are also for older kids (never liked them personally but I guess they're popular because lots of other people do?)
Is "I Wanna Go Home" age appropriate for 8? His books vary widely. I just ordered "Toilet Paper Tigers" and "Why did the underwear cross the road" because I remember those being "younger" in content.
I doubt she would be into Goosebumps and Animorphs, she likes more girly stuff.
Will definitely see if I can get hold of Baker's Dozen and BY Times Little Sisters! I was too old for the little sisters when they came out but I loved Baker's Dozen!

newmother

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:21 am
Magic treehouse series, A to Z mysteries series, cam Jansen series, I survived series, Amelia bedila chapter books, wayside school series, enclopedia brown.. I am also raising a child who loves to read!

youngishbear

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:23 am
American Girl also published mysteries.

Has she read the Kids Speak books? Reb Mendel? Mrs. Honig? Avner Gold books? Libby Lazewnik for that age?

Little House on the Prairie
Little Princess
Pollyana
Heidi
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Caddie Woodlawn

There are abridged versions of classics she might enjoy.

You may have no choice but to let her read books that are beyond her age level. I did that for years, convinced I was understanding what I was reading. Of course much of it went over my head, with hilarious results when I reread those books years later.

Can you get her interested in nonfiction? Libraries have great collections of books for all ages about how things work and life stories of famous people. They're not as easy to devour.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:31 am
Pippi Longstocking
Charlotte's Web
Mr. Popper's Penguins
All of a Kind Family
Betsy-Tacy (series)
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (series)
Is Magic Treehouse too young for her?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:34 am
seeker wrote:
We've done all the Wayside School books (except the math one, which I love but she isn't quite ready for)
Holes is definitely not 3rd grade material! I think Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys are also for older kids (never liked them personally but I guess they're popular because lots of other people do?)
Is "I Wanna Go Home" age appropriate for 8? His books vary widely. I just ordered "Toilet Paper Tigers" and "Why did the underwear cross the road" because I remember those being "younger" in content.
I doubt she would be into Goosebumps and Animorphs, she likes more girly stuff.
Will definitely see if I can get hold of Baker's Dozen and BY Times Little Sisters! I was too old for the little sisters when they came out but I loved Baker's Dozen!

Agh sorry if some of that is not age appropriate. I was a bit of an advanced reader as a kid, coupled with the fact that most secular books were banned at home so I was sneak-reading whatever my friends and their older siblings got from the library.
I'm not 100% sure if that GK book is age appropriate.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:36 am
smss wrote:
Pippi Longstocking
Charlotte's Web
Mr. Popper's Penguins
All of a Kind Family
Betsy-Tacy (series)
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (series)
Is Magic Treehouse too young for her?

Awesome list!!

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:45 am
Thanks!
Magic Treehouse and A to Z are sooooo last year for her.
She's already read Mr. Popper's Penguins, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, All of a Kind Family, and is in middle of the Little House series. I don't remember whether I gave her Charlotte's Web yet, good reminder. Will look up Betsy-Tacy, sounds right on the girl track.
She finds the style of classics boring. I'm surprised she took so well to Little House, which I found boring at that age, but the classics I liked she finds boring. So no Little Princess and Secret Garden just yet.
She loved the I Survived series. We're back to "nothing to read" having finished that.
She loved a book of Libby Lazewnik stories for kids. Just took out Kids Speak, will probably be fine too. I think she's too young to appreciate Avner Gold. I should re-try Mrs. Honig because she didn't like it (?!!) on the first run but maybe she'll take to it now.

Thanks, you really got my memory going now! Keep it coming!

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:57 am
Oh and I forgot, I should have clarified - she's not an especially mature reader, just a very FAST and enthusiastic reader. I mean B"H she's doing well for her age but it's not like she's up to reading 6th grade books. She just chomps through the 3rd-4th grade books very quickly.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:58 am
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?
Haven't read it in a while, maybe it's too old...

Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of Nimh
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
The Borrowers (series)

Gracie

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:47 am
Lois Lowry Gooney Bird Series
Clementine Series by Pennypacker
Some Roald Dahl Books
Frindle and other intermediate books by Andrew Clements
Ivy and Bean Series
I also have a 3rd grader who loves to read! Smile

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:06 am
Mixed up files - will have to re-read, I think it may be technically within level but not appreciated, KWIM?
She's read the Mouse and the Motorcycle, and everything else by that author (Cleary)
She read the first Borrowers book, got all the way through it and liked it but the reading was too hard for her to bother with the others at this point.
Forgot that she enjoyed (already) most of Andrew Clements (starting with Frindle, of course!)
In Dahl she enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and the Great Glass Elevator. She picked up a couple of the others but found them too creepy and didn't want to continue.
Siiiigh.

Definitely going to look up the others!

We finally got around to doing a big public library trip (it's not far from home, just didn't make time to go and look through it properly in a while) and a week later everything is ready to return. This week is hectic but I guess we'll go back again. It's just that there's such a mix of things in the children's section nowadays I don't feel comfortable just turning her loose in there to see what comes home. And picking through it with her was very tedious, especially since most of the books are not ones that are already familiar to me. I had to go to the catalog and place holds for more familiar titles.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:52 am
Harriet the Spy

Everything written by Dianna Wynne Jones

Warriors series (anthropomorphized cats)

Mrs Frisby and the rats of NIMH

At her age, I was reading Sherlock Holmes, but it isn't very "girly."

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 4:14 am
Betsy Tacey is a great idea, and will hold her a while.

Sarah Plain and Tall series

Oz books (L Frank Baum, not knockoff)

My Father's Dragon

I second Warriors; similarly, Guardians of Gahoole. And Catwings.

For older series on animals, I adored the "Old Mother West Wind" books when I was little. Other dated favorites - Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, anything by E Nesbitt, The Moffatts, the Littles series, maybe Noel Streatfield's Shoes series, but probably next year.

mom22

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 5:02 am
Have a third grader too she loves these series;
Owl diaries
Candy fairies
Ivy and bean
Gooney bird
Dory fantasmagory
Judy moody
Junie b jones a bit younger but she loves
Amelia bedilia it’s longer chapter books
Spy sleuth
Wimpy kid

teachkids

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 5:47 am
Check if you're comfortable with cupcake diaries, Judy moody.
Lemonade wars
Gail carson Levine
Doll people series
Whatever after series
Frindle

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:11 am
My kids love Geronimo Stilton series and there are a ton of them

The Narnia series is great too

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 6:37 am
Tricia Belden is really old but I think would work.

Did a home mention the Laura Ingall’s wilder books?

Roald Dahl
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children