Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
A company's products never had Shatnez

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:57 pm
A very reputable store in BP told me that a company whose clothing DH just bought a coat and suit, never had Shatnez.

I was wondering if it has to be checked.

I called Shatnez and they said people check anyhow.

Im thinking what a waste of $21 for checking a coat a suit and a pr of pants.

I called a Rov and he said he cant offer a Psak on this, hed have to speak to Shatnez to clarify.

tweety1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:09 pm
Shatnez is serious. I'd pay $21 to check. It's worth the piece of mind. Rather safe than sorry.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:14 pm
You should always check...garment components change literally all the time. My family is in the garment business and while our factory has a "chezkas kashrus" we check every garment made anyway- for those we are selling/delivering to Jewish customers. There is no way you can rely on the word of a store owner- they have no reliable knowledge of the production process. In point of fact, you can't even rely on the word of the manufacturer because there are so many things that go into a typical garment that could be problematic, but may fly under the quality control radar.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 3:55 pm
It's a question of an issur d'oraisa. I definitely wouldn't rely on such assumptions and would spend the money to have it checked properly.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 4:01 pm
Ill definitely check iyH,

But,

Just wondering, theoretically you can check for Shatnez and be wearing Shatnez too.

In the factories, the identical looking fabrics can come from different rolls and they can use one roll, different from the rest for a sleeve or section of the garment, that wouldnt be the same as the rest of the garment, even though it LOOKS identical.

I think when they test, they test in one, maybe 2 or maximum 3 areas of the garment. Like the wool in one area or two, and the interfacing, and the lining. I dont think they test every part of the garment you bring them for testing, like both sleeves, that can each come from from different rolls of absolutely identical looking fabric and one can have some linen fibers and one not.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 4:45 pm
Generally speaking, suits and coats are made from a single "cut" of cloth. Very, very rare to have different cuts used in the same garment so your idea is likely not as big a concern as the other components within the garment, like the facing, collar insert etc. It is certainly possible to have a cut of material that is woven shatnez- it happens all the time, but it is unlikely that the same suit will have panels of similar "looking" material that is completely different from a content standpoint with one being 100% wool, or wool and silk, and another being wool, linen, and silk. The fabric would not look, feel or "behave" the same to the sewers putting it together.

[The above does not apply to "mixed media" garments (more prevalent in women's clothing" where multiple different fabrics, leathers, etc are purposely sewn together in the same garment, however, this is not typical for men's suits and coats, which is what the OP mentioned]

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 5:10 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Generally speaking, suits and coats are made from a single "cut" of cloth. Very, very rare to have different cuts used in the same garment so your idea is likely not as big a concern as the other components within the garment, like the facing, collar insert etc. It is certainly possible to have a cut of material that is woven shatnez- it happens all the time, but it is unlikely that the same suit will have panels of similar "looking" material that is completely different from a content standpoint with one being 100% wool, or wool and silk, and another being wool, linen, and silk. The fabric would not look, feel or "behave" the same to the sewers putting it together.

"Very, very rare" and "Unlikely" when youre dealing with hundreds of thousands of garments or more, checked world-wide, still means thousands may have Shatnez if the entire garment would be checked piece by piece.

Just like a bakery can assemble a cake for an order, from materials made different times that may look absolutely identical, Im sure there are rolls of menswear wool fabric that look absolutely identical, but because of different times of manufacture, the fiber content isnt identical. Similar, but not identical.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions