Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My 5 year old loves to dig

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:40 pm
He can dig for an hour or two straight. For the last week he's preferred digging in the yard over playing with friends. Normal or not?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:42 pm
As a mother of boys I'd say it's absolutely normal. Digging in Dirt is their Gan Eden !

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:45 pm
Lol thanks thunderstorm!
I am an extroverted introvert, meaning that I am reserved but do like social interaction with some people. As a school girl I had a hard time making friends due to low self confidence + being embarrassed of my family situation. So I try to help my kids (all young, oldest is this 5 year old) foster friendships by setting up play dates (among other things). The past few days (since that summery day, which is the first time in a while that he went outside)though he has had no interest in play dates and would rather dig. I'm glad to hear it's normal. So I won't be concerned; I'll just enjoy the reprieve while he is entertained!

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:45 pm
I have a 4 year old that craves the outdoors. He can dig in dirt and lay in the grass for hours. Its hi total happy place. When we were waiting to close on our house all he kept asking was when we were getting a new backyard. I would not worry so much.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Lol thanks thunderstorm!
I am an extroverted introvert, meaning that I am reserved but do like social interaction with some people. As a school girl I had a hard time making friends due to low self confidence + being embarrassed of my family situation. So I try to help my kids (all young, oldest is this 5 year old) foster friendships by setting up play dates (among other things). The past few days (since that summery day, which is the first time in a while that he went outside)though he has had no interest in play dates and would rather dig. I'm glad to hear it's normal. So I won't be concerned; I'll just enjoy the reprieve while he is entertained!

Get two sets of shovels and two dump trucks and he could share the digging experience with a friend. My kids have enjoyed alone time digging and digging with friends.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:39 pm
Very common! For girls too...

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:39 pm
Completely normal. You'll want to ensure the dirt he's digging in is not contaminated with lead if you live in pre-1980s housing.

aricelli

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 1:53 pm
Sounds like my six year old - we have a little patch of “garden” thats his personal heaven. Sometimes he calls a lucky friend. He just had a great idea- to buy him knee pads! At bedtime his grubby grimy face is the epitome of happiness

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 18 2019, 2:21 pm
DD loved digging. She also had plastic dinosaurs that would roam around and have fights in the hills and valleys. Physical work combined with imaginative play is a wonderful thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers