Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Small toys for big kids & choking hazard dilemma

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 3:30 pm
With my first few kids we were very careful to buy very few toys with small pieces, & the very few that did were kept out of sight /reach.

We’ve had a big gap since then, & all my kids are old enough to enjoy toys for older kids which are often full of choking hazards -little lego, playmobil, shpielmans etc. plus tons of ‘precious treasures’ a.k.a. junky prizes earned in school /camp. However they are not all old enough or responsible enough to always clean them up /put them away.

What are solutions to this? I don’t want to be extreme and take away many of my kids favorite toys, OTOH, realistically I won’t be able to watch the baby at all times, especially once baby is more mobile, and it just takes ch”v seconds for an accident to happen...

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 3:33 pm
My oldest is 8 and then the next kids are 4 and 2. My oldest keeps his toys with small pieces in his room.

I have one box of knex and random legos that are for everyone when I am up for supervising but its kept on a high shelf and only I or DH can take them down.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 3:43 pm
Some of the little toys can only be taken out to be played wjth carefully on their beds or behind their bedroom door.
Encourage more playing with magnatiles and clics or other larger toys.

bunnyrabbit

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 4:38 pm
Same issue. I'd like to commend you for worrying about it. The advice you got already is more or less what there is.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:56 pm
What do I do about all the ‘tchatchkes’, officially each kid has a small container in their room for them, but my kids are always trailing them around the house, and would get very upset if I threw it all out, (although to be honest every so often I do!)
The little balls, erasers & shopkins get me extra nervous...

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
What do I do about all the ‘tchatchkes’, officially each kid has a small container in their room for them, but my kids are always trailing them around the house, and would get very upset if I threw it all out, (although to be honest every so often I do!)
The little balls, erasers & shopkins get me extra nervous...

It's too bad. I do it anyway. If they leave it somewhere where the baby can reach, they know the rule is it goes in the garbage.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 19 2019, 6:00 pm
My oldest is only 8 so take it for what its worth but the rule is that if your stuff is hefker, I will assume you dont actually want it and I can sweep it up. The natural consequence of not being careful with your stuff is that I wont be either. Also explaining that we dont want his brother to put stuff in his mouth and choke helps too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics