Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I am shocked (designs on kippot)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:35 am
I am translating something about selling Judaica and I was googling to find the right word for that puffy paint used to decorate kippot (if anyone can tell me, I'll be eternally grateful Very Happy ) - it's called tzivei tullim in Hebrew.

Anyway, on my search I found this:
http://www.judaicaworldwide.co.....d=190

Are people serious that they would put Disney non-tzniyus princesses on their sons' heads? shock Sorry, but it just reinforced all my stereotypes about America.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:37 am
shalhevet wrote:
I am translating something about selling Judaica and I was googling to find the right word for that puffy paint used to decorate kippot (if anyone can tell me, I'll be eternally grateful Very Happy ) - it's called tzivei tullim in Hebrew.

I thought its called just that: puff paint

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:38 am
You think a boy would wear a kippa with princesses on it??? It's probably a kippa for a girl.
Quote:
Sorry, but it just reinforced all my stereotypes about America.

Rolling Eyes
How rude.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:39 am
don't let it reinforce stereotypes! there are plenty of people who can't stand the idea and find it ridiculous, and untznius. you can find just about anything that is sold here. doesn't make it the accepted thing for most frum yidden!

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:39 am
they're cute ... probably for girls ya know in some sects they wear em as well as a talis ...

or ... maybe a gay guy likes princesses What

creativemommyto3

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:42 am
so am I. I could see maybe mickey mouse or action figures but not princesses etc. I wouldn't put these on my kids b/c we are the velvet kippa type and because I don't go for this type of stuff anyhow. I am trying to be politically correct here.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:43 am
I think this site is aimed at a non-orthodox crowd.

I guess women "rabbis" who are children at heart may wear such a thing.

red sea

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:45 am
I second that - it looks like a reform site. No boy would ever wear princesses.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:46 am
EstiS wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I thought its called just that: puff paint

Thank you Esti. Tizki lemitzvos! Very Happy

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:46 am
Shalhevet I am going to venture a guess that you are referring to Tzivai Tyooleep (as in Tulip). The fabric/puff paint in the States is sold under the Tulip brand-name (among others).

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:47 am
Tamiri wrote:
Shalhevet I am going to venture a guess that you are referring to Tzivai Tyooleep (as in Tulip). The fabric/puff paint in the States is sold under the Tulip brand-name (among others).

Yes, my dd just suggested that. Mad to someone giving me material to translate with errors in the Hebrew.
Thanks Tamiri.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:48 am
BTW, checked out the site... for SURE that is a kippa for girls. One of my kids was in pre-school in the JCC and the girls wore kippot for the Shabbat party. It's common.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:51 am
Wow, I guess I'm just naive. I never thought of that that they could be kippot for GIRLS Rolling Eyes embarrassed . But I guess that explains Dora's appearance too.

Defy, I didn't mean to be rude. I just meant that it was something that only someone in America would do, obviously not all you nice frum ladies.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:56 am
That is weird. If my son wore suede yarlukas, he wouldn't be caught dead wearing one with Dora or a princess on.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 11:00 am
BUT you do see craziness on yarmulkas.

Clarissa

There are really little boys that love Dora, and don't identify it as a girly thing, as much as a tv show that they enjoy.

As far as the princesses, if it's a family that's Conservative or Reform, they wouldn't be considered so untsnius, just because of the short sleeves or whatever. And if they consider it positive for a girl to wear a kippa, they might like that there is something fun on it, the way boys kippot are designed with familiar designs or characters. I know there are people who would deem it inappropriate to have any pop culture or cartoon characters on religious articles, or who think it's inappropriate for a girl to wear a kippa, and this obviously wouldn't be for them. But for a family who isn't bothered by either of those things, I don't see it as so scandalous.

Tamiri

Shalhevet I will shock you some more: you can get pink and purple and beautifully colored talitot for... you guessed it... WOMEN!!!!! Who woulda thunk.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 11:45 am
One of our first Shlichus experiences involved a visit to the Jewish secretary of the president of a NY university. She spent about 45 min describing her daughter's Conservative bat-mitzvah (at age 40!), for which she purchased her a gift...a tallis embroidered with elephants!

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 12:00 pm
Clarissa wrote:
There are really little boys that love Dora, and don't identify it as a girly thing, as much as a tv show that they enjoy.

As far as the princesses, if it's a family that's Conservative or Reform, they wouldn't be considered so untsnius, just because of the short sleeves or whatever. And if they consider it positive for a girl to wear a kippa, they might like that there is something fun on it, the way boys kippot are designed with familiar designs or characters. I know there are people who would deem it inappropriate to have any pop culture or cartoon characters on religious articles, or who think it's inappropriate for a girl to wear a kippa, and this obviously wouldn't be for them. But for a family who isn't bothered by either of those things, I don't see it as so scandalous.

Although I definately am not going to be putting that type of yarmulka on my son's head, I have to agree with Clarissa. I don't find it that crazy! But then again, I grew up in the US so maybe I just got used to it...

momluv

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 12:04 pm
wow! oh my goodness! this is the first I've seen of this.....
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics