Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I am shocked (designs on kippot)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Toot

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:01 pm
I grew up in a Conservative shul, and as time went on more and more women started wearing the beaded things or feminine kippot (as opposed to the shul's doilies, or nothing.) My mother is one of the only women who wears a hat.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:03 pm
chavamom wrote:
They seem to have become popular lately with the Conservative crowd.

Not the Conservative shuls I sometimes go to, but maybe it's different in different areas.

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:06 pm
Clarissa wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Not the Conservative shuls I sometimes go to, but maybe it's different in different areas.

I thought about adding, "at least here" Wink .

Toot

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:35 pm
chavamom wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
chavamom wrote:

I thought about adding, "at least here" Wink .

Maybe it's a New York thing, because I've seen them, plus they sell them in the Judaica shops around here. Are you from the area?

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:39 pm
I'm in the midwest.

mali

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 3:27 am
Shalhevet, just because you're not Machmir and you don't wear a Kippa or Tallis, it doesn't mean that you're doing the right thing. Check your sources, ask a Rabbi, and stop mocking people who are more observant than you.

mimivan

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 4:00 am
Mali:

You're joking, aren't you...(isn't an emoticon for deadpan...wouldn't be anyway

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 4:12 am
mali wrote:
Shalhevet, just because you're not Machmir and you don't wear a Kippa or Tallis, it doesn't mean that you're doing the right thing. Check your sources, ask a Rabbi, and stop mocking people who are more observant than you.

LOL LOL

(Careful, mali, some people may not get your humor!)

mali

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 4:28 am
I was addressing Shalhevet. She knows me by now.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 4:35 am
Sure she does. But you have to be careful of marit ayin. (Should I bring a source for that?)

Black Eye

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:31 am
mali wrote:

Compress Compress Compress
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Nervous Nervous Nervous Nervous

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:34 am
mali wrote:

I asked my LOR, and he says it depends who asks the question, what his answer is.
He also says that a pink kippa is either assur mishum 'lo tilbash' or mishum 'kli gever' depending on who asks, and he only allows it b'dieved for those who aren't quite sure whether they are male or female.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 5:36 am
what about someone who is both?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:51 am
[quote="MorahS"]I grew up in a Conservative shul

Well, me too, but the only time any of us covered our hair was when were on the Bima, you should excuse the expression.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 7:52 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Well, me too, but the only time any of us covered our hair was when were on the Bima, you should excuse the expression.

Excuse what expression?

BrachaC

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 8:16 am
I live in an "out of town" East Coast community. When our shul has kiruv events many of the women do come in kippot. Some are plain while others are very decorated. To be quite honest, I like that they even thought about the fact that they are going to spend time in a shul and should be respectful- even if to us it is meaningless. The flip side is women who do not do that for their Conservative congregations and are on their way to be shomrei torah u'mitzvos, but have a hard time with covering their hair. They tend to not cover their hair at all- even when davening in shul!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:06 am
Ladies on the bimah. You know what I mean !

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:34 am
No, I really didn't.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:37 am
okay ...........

now you do.

mali

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:13 am
shalhevet wrote:
mali wrote:

I asked my LOR, and he says it depends who asks the question, what his answer is.
He also says that a pink kippa is either assur mishum 'lo tilbash' or mishum 'kli gever' depending on who asks, and he only allows it b'dieved for those who aren't quite sure whether they are male or female.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics