Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I am shocked (designs on kippot)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Atali

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:12 pm
Clarissa wrote:
No, I really didn't.

See my previous post to you about how in general Orthodox Judaism does not accept the legitimacy of reform and conservative and therefore people are uncomfortable using "Synagogue-related" language in reference to a congregation that does not believe in the divinity of Torah. If you want more detailed information about why we don't consider Reform and Conservative to be legitimate you can PM me.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 10:30 am
I also live in a small community, and only a few women cover their hair in shul. But b’h I don’t think anyone is the type to wear a kippa or a tallis (!). Tallis would be very extreme reform here.

I wonder why feminists would want to do stuff that is there because men need to be reminded of G-d and mitzvos while women are above that, really.

Quote:
in England there are very few Reform/Cons communities - people are traditional and Jews tend to belong to an Orthodox shul even if they are not mitzva observant (or, unfortunately, not to belong at all).

Same here. Most traditional Jews would rather stay home than going to a liberal place. Most are married in an Orthodox shul, some just civil, but I think almost no one liberal, because it's a statement to make the effort the find a liberal community, it means you're really into reforming religion, not just "non shomer mitzvos".

I’ve never seen doilies irl. In my shul there are kippot for men who don’t carry on shabbes (most MO men don’t wear a kippa in every day life).

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:00 pm
I thinks it's fairly obvious that these are meant for a girl - which may address some of the "men's clothing" concern.

Yes, it's rather American.....because most non-Orthodox little girls in Israel wouldn't be wearing these and likely wouldn't be going anywhere near a shul or wearing anything tznius. This isn't a bashing of non-Orthodox children in Israel, but a simple observation non-frum kids in Israel simply don't participate in going to shul at all while in North America many non-frum do participate in some form of Jewish religious life even if it does not meet Orthodox standards.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics