Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Who is still fasting?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 2:44 am
amother wrote:
I completed the fast but then was too worn out to go to shul for megila so I listened to a megila reading on YouTube (not ideal, I know!). Anyone know if it would have been better for me to have broken the fast, but heard megila read live?

Hearing the megila was certainly more important than fasting in this case...

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
Hearing the megila was certainly more important than fasting in this case...

Oops. Well next year I'll start out fasting and keep in mind that if I'm feeling too worn out to get out to hear Megila, then I should break the fast.

I'm actually a pretty good faster, but I was taking care of little kids all day, including taking them to the park, where I am staying now it would have been about half an hour to get to shul, and I would have either had to have shlepped the two little kids there when they were tired and cranky, or have waited for DH to get home which would have been late for me. Would have been totally doable if I hadn't fasted, but after the fast I just didn't have it in me. Maybe next year I'll explain to a Rav what happened this year and see if I can get a heter to not even try to fast.

Yom Kippur I stayed home with the kids all day, fasted, and it was fine. Didn't get to shul at all or even hear Shofar, but I understood that was ok.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics