Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teenager's last period was a few months ago
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 7:29 pm
My teenager reached puberty a few years ago, and has been having regular periods most of the time. I think it has happened before that she missed a month, but now it's been a few months since her last period.

The first thing that comes to mind is anorexia, but she is overweight and loves to eat. Could this be PCOS? What else could be causing it? Does she need to go to a doctor in the near future? The pediatrician, or a gynecologist?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 7:40 pm
It could really be something as simple as stress. But if she's been pretty much regular for a few years and then missed a few months, I would probably check things out with a gynecologist. Try to research a bit to find one good with teens so she has a pleasant first experience.

tf

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 7:48 pm
This is normal for teenagers.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:19 pm
Is she an athlete? That could also affect it.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:30 pm
She is not an athlete. Her class has gym once a week and she plays sports then, but that's it.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:45 pm
I don't want to freak you out or insult you or your daughter in any way...but...is pregnancy a possibility at all....

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:51 pm
No. I am not insulted. The idea is totally impossible. She's in 8th grade in a Bais Yaakov and hardly knows any teenaged boys. She has no interest in them. She has no symptoms of pregnancy either, and it's been a few months.

gilamom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:51 pm
I was like this as a teen, when I got married I found out I have PCOS.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:54 pm
That's what I suspect here. If it's anything at all. But if that's it, then is there any reason to see a doctor now? Or should I wait until she's older?

gilamom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
That's what I suspect here. If it's anything at all. But if that's it, then is there any reason to see a doctor now? Or should I wait until she's older?

I don't think there's a need to rush to see a doctor but it would probably help before she gets married-my doctor realized at 16 I was very irregular and put me on a low bc pill to try and regulate me for later in life when I would be married. It didn't work, I'm not sure if they still attempt that but I also thought it was just a teenage irregularity thing and wish I'd known it was PCOS instead of wondering for a couple of years after marriage why I couldn't get pregnant.

kislev

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:18 am
Could just be stress.
The first few months of puberty are irregular sometimes.
An eating disorder is a possibility, though, such as bulimia or even atypical anorexia (which can be easy to hide since she isn't underweight).

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:21 am
You may want to take her to a dr and get her checked out anyway but this is how my periods are when I am not on the pill, BH have a few kids. All healthy and normal.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:11 am
I had PCOS growing up but it was a new term then. I was told to lose weight but that is hard to ask a teen to do unless she wants to. Low carb works best. I only found alternative treatments years after having a few kids with difficulty and treatments. The treatments worked but had horrible side effects and really was very trying on my body and marriage. So much stress that can be totally avoided with natural treatments of reflexology which worked for me and acupuncture which works for others but didn't help me with fast enough results. Hormone imbalance is the first and easiest thing to fix with acupuncture or reflexology. I went for pain in other body parts and immediately my cycle became normal with ovulation which because I had PCOS, I wasn't doing regularly. A few treatments can help for half a year or more and then a few treatments over the course of a year, like one every three or four months can keep things regular. Just find someone recommended.

I was put on birth control pills as a teen to regulate or took provera to bring on a period that wasn't coming naturally because I wasn't ovulating each month. They were not good for my body and have side effects for life and didn't help my own body do ovulation by itself, they just treat a symptom and don't change anything. Better thing is to get the body to heal itself and regulate the hormone system. No medication does that. It would be a shame to start out that way and then continue with fertility treatments into marriage. Obviously Hashem wanted me to go through it but I am here to save someone else from the same fate.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:31 am
PCOS, pregnancy and not eating enough are most common reasons. I would take her to an adolescent doctor rather than a typical ob gyn for a thorough eval. sometimes stress , thyroid issues and celiac can be the cause. A good physical should help you get some answers.

Dont forget shes young. In 8th grade the body still sorts itself out before being fully regulated. if she were in 11th grade I would be more concerned. Checking out may give you piece of mind.

wantavaca

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:59 am
Has she been traveling?
Has her routine been disturbed in any way?
Stress with friends or family?
Hormones can be very sensitive and easily messed with I find.
Had some major stressors last month and my period just never showed up. Not preg.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:29 am
If she's due for a physical, why push off looking into this? Even though irregular periods aren't abnormal, for whatever reason.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:55 am
I had this for many years as a teenager. B"H had no health issue and no issues conceiving. I wouldn't worry about it now if that's the only thing you're worried about! Although personally of course I always worried if I'd be able to have kids. So maybe, if this persists for a longer time you may want to look into it just for peace of mind.

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:27 pm
It's actually somewhat common in teenagers, even if they've had their period for a few years already. Their hormones are still shifting into place, they're not full grown yet.

Or, maybe PCOS. Which is a pretty common condition. Who knows. But it can't hurt to speak to a doctor.

Or, maybe stress. This happened to me as a teenager. I stopped getting my period twice, in the span of one stressful year. Once when I had failed two driving tests and was gearing up for my third, and once when I was feeling the strain of balancing two jobs plus seminary.

dankbar

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 7:42 pm
Some diets can alter cycles

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:08 pm
Thanks everyone for reassuring me. I don't think she's very stressed, and she is definitely eating well, or maybe too much. She is due for a well visit at the pediatrician, so I'll just mention it there. I'm guessing it will either work itself out, or will turn out to be PCOS, which doesn't need to be treated just yet.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics