Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I’m mad! Why are ppl so selfish?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:42 am
I hate to rant bit I’m so agitated and need this sounding board... story is as follows:
SIL came over to my parents house today for the Purim seuda with her 2 year old who is in the midst of the measles virus. I knew she’s coming and that her son had it and she sold everyone a lie that her son is over with it. He still has a bad cough and rash, runny nose but no fever. Is he still contagious? She claims that not! My 2 little ones, 5 months and 18 months were not vaccinated yet with the MMR because my toddler is very sensitive and had colds and ear infections all winter long so I decided to give it as soon as it’s warmer and his immunity improves. So this selfish sil of mine exposed the entire extended family. All the little kids (there are quite a few unvaccinated ones among them (due to age and other factors). Upon voicing my concern regarding him still being contagious, her response was, “so what is they get it?!!!! It’s not the end of the world”
Do I have a right to be fuming like this? I’m not in the mood of having to deal with 2 kvetching miserable babies at the Seder nacht. Let alone not to be able to go to parents and in laws altogether. If you don’t want to vaccinate, you have every right but please keep your kids home! Thanks!
Rrrraaaa! Enough said!
My intentions are not to turn this into a vaccine thread. Just need to get some validation here!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:54 am
Yes you have every right to be fuming! Shocking that parents didn’t tell her to leave although the air was already exposed.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:03 am
The question is when the rash appeared. Her son would be contagious for four days from the first day of the rash's appearance.

However, most people who are no longer contagious still feel and act sick such as coughing, rash, congested, etc. It usually takes 7 days from the first day of the rash's appearance for these symptoms to go away.

I'm sorry about what you're dealing with, but before you get hysterical about exposure, find out the facts.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:05 am
If I had two unvaccinated babies and walked into a home where another guest had measles, I would turn right back around and take my babies to safety. A 5 month old?

Yeah, your mother should've told her to leave but why would you stay?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:09 am
That's despicable! I hope you hightailed it out of there as soon as you realized. Hug

honeymoon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:11 am
You have every right to be upset at somebody who exposes others to illness intentionally. It's irresponsible and unfair. That being said, the cough and runny nose post measles can linger for several days after the child is no longer contagious. So your child might not have been exposed to measles after all. Hope your kids stay healthy!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
Yes you have every right to be fuming! Shocking that parents didn’t tell her to leave although the air was already exposed.

My parents did not know the facts. They totally believed her that he’s not contagious anymore. I couldn’t make a u-turn since I shlepped in all the way from Lakewood to Brooklyn and had nowhere else to stay.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:12 am
amother wrote:
The question is when the rash appeared. Her son would be contagious for four days from the first day of the rash's appearance.

However, most people who are no longer contagious still feel and act sick such as coughing, rash, congested, etc. It usually takes 7 days from the first day of the rash's appearance for these symptoms to go away.

I'm sorry about what you're dealing with, but before you get hysterical about exposure, find out the facts.

The rash appeared on Sunday which makes it just about the fourth day.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
The rash appeared on Sunday which makes it just about the fourth day.

That makes today the fifth day so they were most likely past the contagious stage.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:17 am
WhatFor wrote:
If I had two unvaccinated babies and walked into a home where another guest had measles, I would turn right back around and take my babies to safety. A 5 month old?

Yeah, your mother should've told her to leave but why would you stay?

By the time my family arrived, they had been there for an hour and when I demanded that my mother please dismiss her, she was already “about to leave” for the next hour. Exposing my kids and her kids sharing snacks with mine. Everything happened so fast that by the time I grasped the situation, it was too late.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:20 am
amother wrote:
That makes today the fifth day so they were most likely past the contagious stage.

Thanks so much for calming me! I was such a bundle of nerves! So I need not worry that my kids might infect others?

honeymoon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:25 am
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for calming me! I was such a bundle of nerves! So I need not worry that my kids might infect others?

I wouldn't worry about it if the child was on day five already. Your kids will be ok, bezras hashem.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:38 am
I hope her kids will be fine too, but it sounds like sister has multiple kids. Who's to say that another child isn't already carrying and contagious?

OP, I would be furious too.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:40 am
That is shocking behavior. You have every right to feel upset about this.

I have a baby who is not vaccinated yet, and my husband and I went to two different leinings so I wouldn't have to bring her into a room of possibly contagious people, because who's to say one of them one won't bring a sick kid to hear megilla?

Sad.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:44 am
Keep a watch on your kids and be in touch with your pediatrician. They say vitamin A minimizes the symptoms. If your children did get it, you can be the responsible adult. I’m sorry that you have to deal with this.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:28 am
amother wrote:

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/ab......html
not if the child still has a cold. please be responsible and keep your children home until the exposure/onset of synptoms are complete.

your sil is a selfish human being. any mother that willingly allows her child to get sick with anything preventable , and then exposes him to a crowd, is a selfish person. Id be livid!

abound

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:36 am
happyone wrote:
https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/transmission.html
not if the child still has a cold. please be responsible and keep your children home until the exposure/onset of synptoms are complete.

your sil is a selfish human being. any mother that willingly allows her child to get sick with anything preventable , and then exposes him to a crowd, is a selfish person. Id be livid!

many mothers deliberately exposed their children to chicken pox etc. they are not selfish, they have a diff mindset and they are entitled, but a mother who decides to expose her own kids is okay, a mother who decides to expose other ppls kids is WRONG, and selfish. They are two diff things. Most ppl who do not vaccinate would not leave their house with a child who is sick, that is a totally different thing than not vaccinating, don't lump it together.

ohmygosh

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:14 am
A person with measles is contagious from 4 days before the rash appears until 4 days after it appears. Day 5 is still cutting it close. Your SIL was extremely selfish and should have stayed home.

The best thing you can do is give your 18 month old the MMR vaccine within 3 days of exposure (so I would give it to him today) - greatly decreases the change of getting the disease. The 5 month old is too young for the MMR. Speak to your pediatrician to see if he thinks the child was still contagious or not and if he should receive IGG.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:20 am
Yes, she was a royal jerk, without question.

The issue isn't "whether or not the child is still contagious."

The issue is that she didn't care if the child was or was not contagious, and came anyway!

You have every right to be furious and worried. IYH everything should be ok with your kids, and with the other adults in the house.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:30 am
WhatFor wrote:
I hope her kids will be fine too, but it sounds like sister has multiple kids. Who's to say that another child isn't already carrying and contagious?

OP, I would be furious too.

Fortunately, most of her kids are vaccinated besides for her toddler and her 4 yr old who had it two wks ago.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics