Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I’m mad! Why are ppl so selfish?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:35 am
If exposed, your child should be vaccinated within 3 days. This can be done with infants as well, but is not counted towards their schedule since young babies can’t "hold" the immunity.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:37 am
abound wrote:
many mothers deliberately exposed their children to chicken pox etc. they are not selfish, they have a diff mindset and they are entitled, but a mother who decides to expose her own kids is okay, a mother who decides to expose other ppls kids is WRONG, and selfish. They are two diff things. Most ppl who do not vaccinate would not leave their house with a child who is sick, that is a totally different thing than not vaccinating, don't lump it together.

I feel the same way! I’m by no means judging her for not vaccinating. That’s mom’s choice and I do respect it although I’m not on her side and I have my own opinion. But please keep them HOME! I don’t care if it’s Purim, Chanukah or shavuos!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:40 am
Your SIL is selfish.

And your reasoning for holding off immunizing your toddler makes no sense. You feel his immunity is weak, so you'd rather put him MORE at risk for measles by not immunizing him against it. I can't get into your headspace.

You should have stayed home.

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
My parents did not know the facts. They totally believed her that he’s not contagious anymore. I couldn’t make a u-turn since I shlepped in all the way from Lakewood to Brooklyn and had nowhere else to stay.

Yeah but no.
If you walked into your parents house and there was a big rabid dog there you would have turned around and walked out. Even if you had to have an apple for Purim seuda.
You chose to stay and expose your children.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:46 am
ohmygosh wrote:
A person with measles is contagious from 4 days before the rash appears until 4 days after it appears. Day 5 is still cutting it close. Your SIL was extremely selfish and should have stayed home.

The best thing you can do is give your 18 month old the MMR vaccine within 3 days of exposure (so I would give it to him today) - greatly decreases the change of getting the disease. The 5 month old is too young for the MMR. Speak to your pediatrician to see if he thinks the child was still contagious or not and if he should receive IGG.

I should contact my pediatrician but I’m really not ready yet to give my toddler the MMR. He’s so vulnerable and it’s such a hectic season. I guess we’ll see what the ped says. I’m so not ready to deal with fevering kids now.

Thank you all for your sympathy and advice!!!!

Sebastian

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:46 am
get your toddler vaxed asap. Ask your dr what to do about the baby.

If you're in Lkwd your toddler should have been vaxed regardless.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
I should contact my pediatrician but I’m really not ready yet to give my toddler the MMR. He’s so vulnerable and it’s such a hectic season. I guess we’ll see what the ped says. I’m so not ready to deal with fevering kids now.

Precisely because he is so vulnerable, you should give him the MMR.

That's what my sis (pediatrician) would say. You are more afraid of the MMR than of the measles itself, which makes no sense.

And who says your child will get a fever?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:02 am
heidi wrote:
Yeah but no.
If you walked into your parents house and there was a big rabid dog there you would have turned around and walked out. Even if you had to have an apple for Purim seuda.
You chose to stay and expose your children.

Measles is exposure in the air once she stepped into the house her kids were exposed:

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:04 am
I'd be furious too. That's unacceptable. I would have left.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
If you don’t want to vaccinate, you have every right but please keep your kids home! Thanks!

Speak to yourself first. You can choose not to vaccinate your own child, but then stay home with him!

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:09 am
amother wrote:

You make your own decisions. But the onus is on you then to protect them. I’m assuming you live in one of the areas where the measles are rampant still. You are essentially a non-vaxxer in terms of your toddler. Its your job to keep your kids inside and away from anyone who can expose them. You are making him more vulnerable by not giving him the MMR. The measles are worse than a fever, and would be even WORSE if your infant gets it. I’m not sure you fully understand the illness if you have unvaxxed kids, an infant, and still took them into a home where the illness is in the air. No matter if you thought the child was no longer contagious. You need to call your ped asap and discuss.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:17 am
watergirl wrote:
You make your own decisions. But the onus is on you then to protect them. I’m assuming you live in one of the areas where the measles are rampant still. You are essentially a non-vaxxer in terms of your toddler. Its your job to keep your kids inside and away from anyone who can expose them. You are making him more vulnerable by not giving him the MMR. The measles are worse than a fever, and would be even WORSE if your infant gets it. I’m not sure you fully understand the illness if you have unvaxxed kids, an infant, and still took them into a home where the illness is in the air. No matter if you thought the child was no longer contagious. You need to call your ped asap and discuss.

Don’t turn it on the op she did not give it to a toddler since he was sick a whole winter my pediatrician doesn’t vaccinate if a child is under the weather.

SisterSix

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
I have a baby who is not vaccinated yet, and my husband and I went to two different leinings so I wouldn't have to bring her into a room of possibly contagious people.

You would have otherwise brought a baby to Megillah? You’re brave!

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
Don’t turn it on the op she did not give it to a toddler since he was sick a whole winter my pediatrician doesn’t vaccinate if a child is under the weather.

The issue is that then she should not be bringing the kids out of the house more than necessary. She needs to be vigilant.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
That makes today the fifth day so they were most likely past the contagious stage.

No, its 4 days AFTER the rash appeared, so yesterday was day 4.

In any case, that's cutting it way too close. She doesn't care if her kids get a disease that frequently results in hospitalizations, and occasionally in death, well, I guess that's her call. But to risk exposing a 5 month old to it is unconscionable.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:34 am
amother wrote:

Perhaps your pediatrician wouldn't routinely vaccinate a child that is under the weather. He/she might make a different decision for a child that is at great risk for exposure.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:36 am
amother wrote:

THIS! Pediatrician originally said I can wait until after pesach when weathers are warmer. He says that for sensitive children, he’s ok with that. Especially in my case. My son is a little bit on a delayed schedule with vaccinations because we’ve had it a couple of times that he came up with fever or ear infection right before a scheduled well visit so we had no vaccines for him then.

Just left msg for my pediatrician. Waiting for callback.

iyar

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
Keep a watch on your kids and be in touch with your pediatrician. They say vitamin A minimizes the symptoms. If your children did get it, you can be the responsible adult. I’m sorry that you have to deal with this.

OP please be careful with this advice.
Vitamin A can be toxic.
Please give this vitamin only as recommended by your doctor and don't give any more than he says you can.
Sending you hugs. I'd have been so upset if this happened to me.

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:59 am
Your sister in law is wrong, but so are you. Your should have given MMR on schedule because of the measles outbreak. You could have delayed the rest or whatever. Not MMR during a measles outbreak. That's just irresponsible. Especially knowing you have unvaxxed relatives.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
THIS! Pediatrician originally said I can wait until after pesach when weathers are warmer. He says that for sensitive children, he’s ok with that. Especially in my case. My son is a little bit on a delayed schedule with vaccinations because we’ve had it a couple of times that he came up with fever or ear infection right before a scheduled well visit so we had no vaccines for him then.

Just left msg for my pediatrician. Waiting for callback.

There is a measles outbreak in your community. It’s not a good time to delay the MMR.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics