Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you do about the insane amount of nosh your kids get
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:15 am
My kids get irritable and cranky when they don't eat normal meals. What should I do about their hordes of nosh? Look away when they're eating candy and soda for breakfast lunch and supper? Confiscate it? Say it's only for shabbos? They don't want me to buy it off them and they are not interested in sharing with friends.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:19 am
I told my kids that before each nosh that they eat they must balance it with something healthy. And I got to choose what the healthy food should be. Worked like a charm.

I also served a very filling, healthy breakfast to curb their appetite for sugar a bit.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:20 am
Start the kids off with a hearty healthy breakfast.
Offer to buy candy off them - maybe they'll want to give some of it up.
Limit nosh to 3 a day until they finish up their stash.

reality mom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:22 am
I have my kids exchange their nosh for a toy/prize of their choice.

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:51 am
That's why I make a seuda in my house in morn so I know that before they leave the house for all day they at least ate something normal.
We divide the nosh & candy after Purim. I tell them they can have one thing each day till pesach

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:40 am
What about for the week (or so) after? My kids got quite a haul.
I already hid anything they haven’t claimed.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:45 am
My kids are motivated to "sell" it to me because they know they'll never be allowed to eat that much nosh anyway so they may as well get something for it. On Purim I let them nosh throughout the day (rule is must have full healthy breakfast, and at least one healthy food plus drink of water before each snack) but after that it's back to normal which is basically one candy on Friday when they're ready for Shabbos (includes chores) and one candy plus one chip/pretzel type nosh for "Shabbos party." So they save some for Shabbos treats and then have no issues tossing the rest. Also, the money I give for giving up nosh doesn't go into their regular wallet, we have a separate junk food fund jar that's saving up for something specific.

kislev

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:20 am
When the kids were younger we put all the nosh in a huge basket and each kid picked a certain amount for himself. After that, they got to choose at special times.

dv

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:00 am
I had my kids take out what they will actually eat and then I went through what they kept and narrowed it down to what I KNOW they will actually eat...anything wrapped that they aren’t keeping is going to school today to be donated

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:18 am
Everyone bags up their stuff separately for snack for the week. The rest is sent either to work with dh if its non heimish stuff or to an organization like chesed 24/7 that collects in my kids school for hospital waiting rooms. Non sealed packages are tossed.
I dont take it to work because that's what everyone else does and I'd rather not be eating junk till Pesach.

Home baked is saved for Shabbos dessert.
The best trick is to have it all taken care of this morning as pesach cleaning kickoff.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 8:44 am
Eat it all myself, when she's not looking! /jk

I put everything up, and saved it for Shabbos treats. (I sell chametz, so it wasn't a big deal to just seal up the cabinet.)

She'd have enough to hold her over until Simchas Torah. Then from Simchas Torah to Purim we'd do the same thing. If you ration it just right, you'll never have to buy nosh all year long!

She also had a non Jewish friend who lived around the corner. DD would share candy with her, and then when the friend went out for Halloween, the girl would come over and we'd sort out the kosher candy. DD would get most of that. It was a pretty good deal.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:00 am
If you have too much nosh
You didn’t regift enough
You made too many of your own

When my kids were little I did the exchange for money, I think it was $2-$3 per pound
Also I let them pick 10 favorite thatthey Can have 1 a day.
Of course at $2-$3 a pound they picked to keep the chips that weighed less than candy.

This was a time that a dollar was worth something

What I wasn’t able to regift, I send to the kids program at the shul.
It’s not the same as sharing nosh with 50 kids.
It’s usually finished with in a week or 2. Other families do the same.

Now what do I do with the giant block of halvah
The whole giant box of cookies.

Also- I made a big booboo this year and was left with 5 fully packaged MM, out of 30 We moved to a building and instead of ppl coming to the door they just have the vallet bring it up

I know DH was short at shul and re gifted on the spot.

BTW- he’s the Rav of a big kehillah

Also the shul makes a communal basket to give to the Rav, Everyone pays minimum $18 to be put on the list and the profits go to our Bikur Cholim. Many give more since it’s a donation.

It was absolutely stunning. Like the types you find in the kallah stores And B”H not to many food stuff. Inside was a shelf stable package of Lox, some fancy merengues, assorted coffe and teas. Food wise that was it.

It was all set up in a butler table (a stand with a tray on top) There was a glass tea kettle a French press, 2 initialed mugs place mats, napkin ring holders, and other beautiful/useful stuff.

Best part they collected a lot of donations.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:19 am
On Purim itself I don't limit much except telling them about two hours before the seuda that we're taking a break from junk and will eat real food soon. That way they're hungry enough to make the most of the seuda.

After Purim they can either use their nosh for school snacks (which I don't allow candy) or for their shabbos treats/ shabbos party. There's no random snacking on anything noshy otherwise.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:24 am
Whatever pieces they don’t love or want, I exchange for money.
What they absolutely love they keep, and I allow them to eat one piece at a time over the next few weeks.
(One thing per day, etc)

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:27 am
Rule number one is that when divvying up the booty, Imma and Abba get to take their fair share too Smile So already, a significant percentage is out of the running for the kids. On Purim itself, they're allowed to have some of the treats, provided they eat a reasonable amount of normal food. What's left gets put away for Shabbos. It usually takes 2 Shabbosim to be done with it.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:31 am
Shushan Purim morning we sit with each kid one at a time. The child will put all their nosh in a pile on the table, sort what they like, dislike and a third pile for the candies. They can keep 1 candy and the rest we buy from them. We pay a little more then what it really costs so they get all excited. Nosh they dislike like chips can be exchanged from my own pile or sold for cost price. What they end up keeping is finished before Pesach as they get to choose 2 items for snack a day, like chips and drink.

zaftigmom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:32 am
This is my first year with a kid old enough to have this issue. On purim I allowed her to eat whatever she wanted. It worked out nicely because she had one bite of so many things because she wanted to taste everything but it was too much to finish so that got rid of a lot of it. Everything else is going in a bag and a couple times a week after school we'll take out that bag instead of a more wholesome snack. I think that approach could work pretty well for older kids too. This way she gets her nosh but only at specific times.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:33 am
When we were kids, the rule was we were each allowed to keep 1 bag worth of nosh, to be taken no more than 2 a day as snack to school.
Each kid first got to claim from their own packages, and then everything else was put in the middle to be claimed. Then, extras were donated.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:42 pm
This morning at 6 AM before kids got up DH and I threw it all into boxes for him to take to the office. His employees can enjoy to their hearts content. I had my fill of crazy sugared-up kids yesterday. No more.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:35 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
This morning at 6 AM before kids got up DH and I threw it all into boxes for him to take to the office. His employees can enjoy to their hearts content. I had my fill of crazy sugared-up kids yesterday. No more.
So I would love to do that but I'm worried that it would be a big negative in my relationship to my children. They know perfectly well that their friends gave them nosh, and family friends gave the family nosh, and they would definitely feel cheated if I were to take it away from them. I don't know how people get away with this, do your kids just have very different personalities than mine?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics