Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you enjoy a family Purim meal

Do you enjoy family meals/gathering?
Yes love it!  
 64%  [ 49 ]
It’s ok  
 32%  [ 25 ]
Boring  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 76

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:16 am
If you have a grand meal or gathering with your parents and siblings and all children do you enjoy it ?
Please vote!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:18 am
It's our 2 highlights of the day!

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:24 am
ra_mom wrote:
It's our 2 highlights of the day!

How do all of you siblings have so much in common?
I find these gatherings so boring. Everyone is in a different stage and page in every area.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:10 am
It really depends on the way the seudah/party is hosted. Are there enough seats for everyone? Is there space for the kids to have fun? Is there enough food?

If it's done right, it's beautiful! If there's limited space and food, then it's not so enjoyable. Also the timing really sometimes is really not the best. It's after a long day of running around & kids eating way too much sugar!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:16 am
I would enjoy it if certain people would stop being bitchy. Take for example this year's meal:
When we arrived, everyone was sitting around barely talking. The men were literally whispering their conversation and the women were quiet. Have you ever seen women be quiet? Said family member makes everyone feel inferior to her. She rushes the meal and the whole atmosphere feels the pressure. Her kids are all the same one by one. Moody, depressed, they don't talk except whine the entire time they're there and their mother is constantly yelling at them in an annoyed voice: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!! The second she left the meal to go home, the whole atmosphere just lightened up and we all started having fun.
If only she would stay away. She's not doing anyone any favors by joining us. In fact she was actually going to stay home but at the last minute things changed in our shared family of actually having a meal so she brought her food along.
Ugh.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:32 am
sorry you are having a hard time
really would appreciate it if you would clean up your language at least on posts and on imamother
appreciate it

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 7:44 am
The meal itself is wonderful. Dhs family is as nice and warm as possible. The party is wild. But after a while it does get boring only when no one will leave well after the mess is cleaned up. We didn’t leave until 11-30. And that was without DH - mil drove him home later. Kids also have a great time. They wouldn’t go anywhere else.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 9:10 am
I haven't been to a family purim meal in a long time because I don't live near them, but it's always ok because that's the type of person I am. I'm not a very enthusiastic person and a homebody, but I enjoy their company.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
I find these gatherings so boring. Everyone is in a different stage and page in every area.

We don't have to have so much in common. It's a nice time to get to see everybody. Very Happy And watching the kids together is priceless.

Aylat

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:33 am
Some of us have things in common. And some of us work on different ways to find connections. In general we love it. We have a strong family identity.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:34 am
You have family in common. What could be more important. I love to see my kids playing with my nieces and nephews

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 10:46 am
I love it. It's how the kids bond and get to know each other. I love seeing DH enjoy quality time with his brothers and nephews, or in other years, with his BIL's and nephews....I love my sisters and SIL's, my nieces, their kids, etc...How else would I ever get to know them and have any sort of relationship with them?

My youngest DD really has lucked out on DH's side, having several cousins in her age range. Yesterday's big Purim Seuda was the highlight of her month! They are all so cute together.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 11:40 am
We live far from parents but make a combined seuda siblings and cousins every year.
Of course there's drama and stuff.
But at the end of the day, the kids get to know their cousins and 2nd cousins.
It's the highlight of the day. One year I offered the kids to stay home- they wouldn't hear of it.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
If you have a grand meal or gathering with your parents and siblings and all children do you enjoy it ?
Please vote!

Love it! My family is great b”H, and lot of fun.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:00 pm
I see you changed the title to Purim specifically. No way, it would be horrible. One member is a recovering alcoholic so alcohol is touchy. Others are anti alcohol because of that family member. Others love to drink and get crazy. So no, Purim is better far away from each other and everyone can do what works.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:

I'm sorry that boring is a problem for you. To me, it's an investment in relationships. Your family is yours forever but only if you cultivate it. If people are in a different stage than you, then broaden yourself to care about them and hear what their lives are about without being annoyed that it isn't relevant to your interests.

Aylat

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 2:08 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm sorry that boring is a problem for you. To me, it's an investment in relationships. Your family is yours forever but only if you cultivate it. If people are in a different stage than you, then broaden yourself to care about them and hear what their lives are about without being annoyed that it isn't relevant to your interests.

Yes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics