Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Many new bakeries in BP, but not ONE Organic Produce store;(
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
Buying into hype.

And thereby supporting an industry (in my case frum store-owners like Organic Circle).

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:03 pm
What about paying extra for safer cookware, like expensive non stick finishes because many believe the regular non stick pans are very unhealthy? Is that a hoax too?

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
What about paying extra for safer cookware, like expensive non stick finishes because many believe the regular non stick pans are very unhealthy? Is that a hoax too?

No, that's real. The makers of teflon have gotten away with a lot. That said, I think its safe if its not scratched and personally do use it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:27 pm
ectomorph wrote:
That said, I think its safe if its not scratched and personally do use it.

Yes, according to this article even if a piece of the non stick finish flakes off, and you eat it, youre not in big danger.

https://www.today.com/food/are.....33662

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:48 pm
double post

amother
Papaya

What's the hoax? That eating chemicals isn't harmful, or that chemicals are washed off with water (and lemon juice/vegetable wash?)

TranquilityAndPeace

If you believe that the dirty dozen is truly a terrible health choice, then, is it healthier to eat a frosted cupcake or a box of non organic strawberries for snack?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:56 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
If you believe that the dirty dozen is truly a terrible health choice, then, is it healthier to eat a frosted cupcake or a box of non organic strawberries for snack?

Thats easy. Frosted cupcakes are definite killers, and highest on the list of disease inducing foods, based on all health experts opinions.

amother
White

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
What's the hoax? That eating chemicals isn't harmful, or that chemicals are washed off with water (and lemon juice/vegetable wash?)

That organic produce is pesticide free. They're free of synthetic pesticides, but not free of the natural pesticides. Some of those natural pesticides are equally toxic to the synthetic ones.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:15 pm
We all die eventually. There is no data that people who eat organic live longer than people in the same socio economic group who don't eat organic.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:

I have one friend who eats it for health reasons but was told only if she blends it until there are no pieces remaining.

Yum.... blended bugs sounds so appetizing!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
Yum.... blended bugs sounds so appetizing!

Trust me, over the years, youve eaten truckloads of microscopic tiny bugs in Bodek and all the checked produce companies!

Only they get a Heter to make it seem like every piece was checked, because theyre a business that only has to check ONE box of a shipment and if one box is ok, the rest of the shipment is kosher.

R' Avraham Blumenkrantz a"h wasnt thrilled with that!

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:09 pm
I always check bodek salad and never found a bug. Otoh I once got from a very fancy kosher restaurant in manhattan and a bug crawled out while I was eating.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:28 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I always check bodek salad and never found a bug. Otoh I once got from a very fancy kosher restaurant in manhattan and a bug crawled out while I was eating.

In a million years you cant see microscopically tiny bugs in the salad. Even with a very bright light and magnifying glass its not easy. Certainly not with the naked eye. And once its been frozen and chopped, like broccoli and spinach, fuegedabatit!

Even Rabbi Blumenkrantz a"h was skeptical about "checked" produce.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:33 pm
If you need a microscope to see it you are not halachically required to check w a microscope.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:09 pm
Do you only shop in BP? Maybe I've been out of Brooklyn too long, but I can't really imagine being stuck in only one neighborhood for all food shopping. Alternatively, don't any of the stores (gourmet glatt?) offer any organic produce options, like packaged salad greens?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
Do you only shop in BP? Maybe I've been out of Brooklyn too long, but I can't really imagine being stuck in only one neighborhood for all food shopping. Alternatively, don't any of the stores (gourmet glatt?) offer any organic produce options, like packaged salad greens?

Wow, and as a native Boro Parker, I can't imagine having to supplement my food shopping by going to another neighborhood. Practically all my groceries are purchased within a 10 minute walk from my home.Yes, I certainly do all my food shopping only in BP. Yes, I think you've been out of Brooklyn too long. Time for a visit! Wink

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:42 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Wow, and as a native Boro Parker, I can't imagine having to supplement my food shopping by going to another neighborhood. Practically all my groceries are purchased within a 10 minute walk from my home.Yes, I certainly do all my food shopping only in BP. Yes, I think you've been out of Brooklyn too long. Time for a visit! Wink

OP here. I agree. I can get EVERYTHING I need within 5 minutes walking distance, INCLUDING "the kitchen sink" (and the bathtub, while Im at it)!

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:49 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I visit pretty often and enjoy visiting. But even my family drives to other neighborhoods for better/ cheaper shopping regularly.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:02 pm
Krm is in bp and prices are amazing there. I go there and save 5$ every pack of chicken I buy
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries