Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Vent: Great way to do a mitzvah - NOT!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:03 am
I have to get this off my chest, I'm still super angry!
So on Friday we went to visit relatives in Jerusalem for Shushan Purim. The streets were full of people in high Purim spirits.
We had to get back home before Shabbat.
Suddenly the road was blocked by a crowd of dancing and jumping, evidently very drunk, frum bochurim.
We wished them Purim Sameach and waved to them and inched by very slowly, slower than walking speed.
Suddenly, out of the crowd, one of them had the "funny" idea to try to jump onto the hood of our car. It was absolutely deliberate. He ran at us laughing, jumped on, then slipped and fell lengthwise across the hood and windscreen. Dh hit the breaks so as not to run him over. A car behind us couldn't stop and bumped into us from behind. The drunk jumper gave a silly grin, slid off and disappeared in the crowd.
We exchanged phone numbers with the guy who drove behind us - the back of the car seems to be alright asides from a minor scratch - it was at very low speed.
But our hood, where the guy jumped, has two big dents in it.
Our car was kind of new, bought used really, but new for us, and I paid for it as I'm the main income earner.

I'm so furious at this stupid bochur who jumped on it. He probably doesn't even remember it once he's sobered up and is just proud of himself for getting so beautifully drunk on Shushan Purim. Probably thinks he did a great mitzvah. Never mind damaging other people's property and then vanishing. Asides from that, he also endangered himself. Great mitzvah indeed!

Anonymous, because I don't want people IRL to identify me/my imamother name by the dents on our car.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 12:23 pm
I agree 100%. We didn't hit anyone or get hit, but it was only by g-d's grace.
The idiot, drunken bachurim think it's a hoot to block the road, block it worse when you beep at them and just when you have enough room to slide by, they jump in front or onto the car. And they egg each other on.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 6:19 pm
What he did was against halacha according to all opinions, even those that consider it proper to get drunk on Purim. I'm so sorry that happened 😔

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
I have to get this off my chest, I'm still super angry!
So on Friday we went to visit relatives in Jerusalem for Shushan Purim. The streets were full of people in high Purim spirits.
We had to get back home before Shabbat.
Suddenly the road was blocked by a crowd of dancing and jumping, evidently very drunk, frum bochurim.
We wished them Purim Sameach and waved to them and inched by very slowly, slower than walking speed.
Suddenly, out of the crowd, one of them had the "funny" idea to try to jump onto the hood of our car. It was absolutely deliberate. He ran at us laughing, jumped on, then slipped and fell lengthwise across the hood and windscreen. Dh hit the breaks so as not to run him over. A car behind us couldn't stop and bumped into us from behind. The drunk jumper gave a silly grin, slid off and disappeared in the crowd.
We exchanged phone numbers with the guy who drove behind us - the back of the car seems to be alright asides from a minor scratch - it was at very low speed.
But our hood, where the guy jumped, has two big dents in it.
Our car was kind of new, bought used really, but new for us, and I paid for it as I'm the main income earner.

I'm so furious at this stupid bochur who jumped on it. He probably doesn't even remember it once he's sobered up and is just proud of himself for getting so beautifully drunk on Shushan Purim. Probably thinks he did a great mitzvah. Never mind damaging other people's property and then vanishing. Asides from that, he also endangered himself. Great mitzvah indeed!

Anonymous, because I don't want people IRL to identify me/my imamother name by the dents on our car.

Sorry you didn’t get a picture of him. He should have to pay for the damage.

dankbar

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 7:04 pm
I don't know if you will be able to get something. Will beis din make him responsible if he was drunk & not by his clear daas?

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 7:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
I don't know if you will be able to get something. Will beis din make him responsible if he was drunk & not by his clear daas?

Of course he's responsible. Getting drunk doesn't absolve anyone of halachic requirements. In fact, it's specifically assur to get so drunk that a person can bring himself to be lax in any halacha, such as forgetting to bentch. So all he accomplished was being over on that issur on top of whatever issurim he did while drunk.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:09 pm
Op, I'm very sorry for what happened to you. Those bochurim were stupid and inconsiderate.

What I don't understand, is why anyone would want to drive on a major holiday. When I lived in the us, I refused to get in a car on the 4th of July or New Year's Eve. I knew it would be a drunken free for all, and I did not want to be a statistic. If I wanted to go anywhere, I'd take the bus, but mainly I preferred to stay home.

It's just not worth the risk when you know that you are going to be surrounded by drunk kids in the street, combined with drunk drivers.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Op, I'm very sorry for what happened to you. Those bochurim were stupid and inconsiderate.

What I don't understand, is why anyone would want to drive on a major holiday. When I lived in the us, I refused to get in a car on the 4th of July or New Year's Eve. I knew it would be a drunken free for all, and I did not want to be a statistic. If I wanted to go anywhere, I'd take the bus, but mainly I preferred to stay home.

It's just not worth the risk when you know that you are going to be surrounded by drunk kids in the street, combined with drunk drivers.

We drove because we don't live in Jerusalem - going by bus would take 2 hours each way. We also had 3 little kids with us, one with behavioral issues, last time we were on a bus with him, we nearly got thrown off. Our relatives always host a Shushan Purim meal for the family, including those who, like us, live in other parts of Israel.
Without driving there is no way to get there and back before Shabbat on a Friday and even during the week it would have been difficult. In all previous years, there never was a problem - people in the streets were dancing around but behaved themselves reasonably.
Comes to that, so did most people this time - minus the jumper.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses.
I've kind of calmed down and hope we can get the hood fixed without paying a fortune.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:06 pm
That's despicable.

And for the record I'm glad we don't consider getting drunk on Purim a mitzvah.

grace413

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:58 pm
So sorry this happened to you. I would be livid.

moonstone

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:23 am
Absolutely disgusting. I wish there was some way to identify that idiot so you could sue him.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:17 am
OP, thanks for explaining about the driving. It must be frustrating for you with public transportation.

Is there any way you could plan ahead to stay overnight next time, until all the madness dies down?

I know you wanted to be home for Shabbos, and get your kids back into their routine, but I worry terribly about people driving when it's so dangerous.

jerusalem90

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:26 am
That really stinks. I'd be really mad too. Please don't get a bad opinion of Jerusalemites.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics