Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help stop nose picking

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:02 am
I just can't stand it anymore TMI

DD is 6 1/2 and has been doing this for at least 2 years but I keep hoping it's getting better. It isn't. It's very easy to tell because she wipes her fingers on her clothes. I feel like my nagging is destroying our relationship but I can't figure out what else to do. I keep tissue boxes all over the house. I stuff a tissue into her hands every time I see her going in that direction. What else can I do?! It's driving us all crazy and it's GROSS.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:13 am
I don't know the answer, 6 year old ds is the same way so I can commiserate.

Following for some ideas!

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:22 pm
Some suggestions:

Think about when and why it is happening, and choose solutions appropriately. Does she not like breathing through a full nose? Is it a nervous habit that comes out when she is not feeling comfortable? Is it a habit that accompanies an activity, like reading?

1) Try giving her a hanky, even if that's gross for you. If there is a sensory component it may be more comfortable than tissues (I can't stand the smell of tissues).

2) Instead of saying "don't pick your nose" redirect her to only nose picking in the restroom.

3) Keep the conversation open. "It feels good to have your nose clean, but it makes other people disgusted/uncomfortable to watch you cleaning your nose. Let's practice blowing our nose in a tissue/handkerchief. If you need to get out some of the gunk with your finger, it is mentchlich to do it in the bathroom so others can't see. Also make sure to wash your hands afterwards so we don't spread germs."

4) Get boogie wipes (saline nose wipes) and try having her use those regularly. That may help make her nose feel even cleaner than she can get with her finger.

5) Find another fidget-type habit to replace this one with, that doesn't bother you as much. Whether a fidget spinner kind of thing, a mini-craft (lanyard braiding kind of thing), or other. If you see her picking her nose, try redirecting her, "I see your hands are getting twitchy, let's try coloring/beading/playing piano/playing with wiki stix. Remember to wash our hands so we don't spread germs."

6) If she is motivated but has a hard time, try finding a smelly nail polish that will make nose picking uncomfortable.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:48 pm
Quote:
If she is motivated but has a hard time, try finding a smelly nail polish that will make nose picking uncomfortable.

I did this with DS and worked in a week. I only put it on the finger he used to pick his nose, because really it's awful tasing and the taste would get on his food otherwise

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:02 pm
Smelly nail polish recommendation please?!

Breathing through full nose - nose is absolutely not full.
1) Hanky - haven't tried. But she has no complaints about tissues, she just forgets to use them even when they're right in front of her.
2) I have already been trying positive redirection instead of "don't pick." Not helping. It's too habitual.
3) She knows very well that it disgusts everyone else. And she has plenty of practice using a tissue, she just doesn't DO it.
4) Will try the wipes, sounds like a good idea.
5) I think this is more of a sensitive nose than a fidget

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:17 pm
I used
Barielle No Bite Pro Growth

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
I used
Barielle No Bite Pro Growth

I just looked it up on Amazon and it says it's odorless?!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:26 pm
It is not! I saw that too and was laughing.
It has a very strong nail polish smell.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:41 pm
Liars! Ok then. Buying it now and praying it works because I'm so tired of this situation.

jewwoman

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:44 pm
One tactic could be that everytime they pick their nose you make them go and wash their hands with soap. heres hoping theyll eventually get fed up with picking

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:53 pm
jewwoman wrote:
One tactic could be that everytime they pick their nose you make them go and wash their hands with soap. heres hoping theyll eventually get fed up with picking

I've been doing this, but I'm not exactly watching my 6 1/2 year old all day. And it's just making us both really annoyed, this habit is embarrassing for her.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:11 pm
Vaseline for dryness makes there less to "pick". Allergies? Sinuses stuffed? deal with those to clear up the nose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children