Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Moadim lisimcha order- why can't I?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 2:11 am
I live OOT and most people here order yuntif needs through moadim lisimcha. I feel like calling them and asking why it's only for people in chinuch. Many of them have cleaning help and fancy clothes and food stamps. They obviously don't need it as much as people who are not in chinuch and just don't make much money. I find it frustrating. Pesach is expensive. I'm doing it all without cleaning help or fancy new clothes. All I ask for is affordable food like others get.

I might really call. Does anyone have their phone number?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:55 am
I don’t think it’s only for people in chinuch. I think it’s for anyone who needs.

I looked into it (not in chinuch) and I found it hard to have to order everything by the case. It’s probably worth it if you have people to share the cases with. I don’t have space for the bulk order or need so much for pesach.

I don’t think they check your financial status. They are probably assuming that anyone who orders through them needs the service. It says on the bottom of the form that it is okay to let others know if you think they might need this service.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:01 am
Here is their order form.
You have to pick up your order from Lakewood. How will you do that?

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/.....23069

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:07 am
Most shuls will buy in bulk, and pass the savings on to the members. You reserve in advance how much wine and matza you think you will need.

Many grocery stores will have sales on meat. If you find a good sale before Pesach, grab it and freeze it until you need it. Same if you use any other frozen goods.

This is a great time to brainstorm with your neighbors. If you have a small family, and there is a Costco nearby, ask if you can buy a case of something like lettuce or tomatoes and split it.

Do ask for help. Everyone should have a happy Pesach. That's what community is all about.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:12 am
I would also really love to avail myself to this service, but we are not in chinuch. I'm anxious though about taking tzedaka under false pretenses. Is there anyone I can call (a program organizer perhaps?) to ask if I qualify for the service and if I can place an order through them?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:38 am
OP here. They deliver to my community so they don't need to pick up from Lakewood. Does anyone have a phone number?

About it not only being for chinuch, they didn't advertise it that way. I would like to ask them when I call if I get a number.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:40 am
I know people who order from Moadim L'Simcha who are not in chinuch, and they are okay with it.

However I don't find that everything they have is cheaper than the stores, and some things are of inferior quality. So make sure to compare so you end up happy with what you get.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:42 am
Chayalle wrote:
I know people who order from Moadim L'Simcha who are not in chinuch, and they are okay with it.

However I don't find that everything they have is cheaper than the stores, and some things are of inferior quality. So make sure to compare so you end up happy with what you get.

Agreed about the quality. Someone I know gets it. Apparently it's some deal w the meat distributors.

Some of it is poorer quality meat which enables them to sell it off without threatening their quality on the regular market.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:44 am
Are you in Los Angeles?
I can tell you who is in charge, and you can call them and respectfully ask to be included.
I know someone who did it and also didn't love the quality of the meat.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Agreed about the quality. Someone I know gets it. Apparently it's some deal w the meat distributors.

Some of it is poorer quality meat which enables them to sell it off without threatening their quality on the regular market.

I don't order the meat. It's basically fat. Last time I ordered I thru it in the garbage, and that was a loss of $$$ for me.

And it's a looong time since the chicken was alive....

The matza, wine, and papergoods are worthwhile.....

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:49 am
Chayalle wrote:

Do you know who I could call to ask if I could be included?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
I don't order the meat. It's basically fat. Last time I ordered I thru it in the garbage, and that was a loss of $$$ for me.

And it's a looong time since the chicken was alive....

The matza, wine, and papergoods are worthwhile.....

It's great for cholent. If you get the most expensive cut, the quality is ok... Not great

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
Here is their order form.
You have to pick up your order from Lakewood. How will you do that?

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/.....23069

There are satellites. In some satellite cities it's for the working poor.
At this point it's probably too late to get in on it for this year.
OP, talk to a rav. Your local kosher grocery might offer special "gift cards" that look gift cards but really allow you to get more for your dollar. Rabbanim or a local Matan b'Seter can help you through rough spots.
May you have a chag kosher v'sameach and menuchas hanefesh.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:

Really? I've got it over the years and quality was good.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
Really? I've got it over the years and quality was good.
depends what you get.

The person I know who got it had the same experience as Chayalle. Mostly fatty meat, old chickens.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:02 am
Also wondering about the pricing. Besides for the meat, is anything else there really so well priced that it is worth the hassle?
I don't have the time to compare prices so I just usually shop in lower priced stores and stick to things that are on special. I'm therefore not so familiar with prices, bit I gave a quick glance at their order form, and it did not look to be so cheap. For example, case of 9x13s 20 dollars. There are always specials before pesach for much less than that.

Anyone who is more price savy want to weigh in?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:03 am
In Costco I get 9x13 for 25c each. How big is the case.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:04 am
In Philadelphia anyone can get it. You don't have to be in chinuch. But the deadline for ordering passed.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:06 am
Please don't make judgements about what people "obviously" do and don't need as compared to others. I'm not in chinuch, I'm not in a good financial situation, and I keep my nose firmly out of other people's homes and wallets. You should definitely pursue any options available to you, but leave others out of it.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
I live OOT and most people here order yuntif needs through moadim lisimcha. I feel like calling them and asking why it's only for people in chinuch. Many of them have cleaning help and fancy clothes and food stamps. They obviously don't need it as much as people who are not in chinuch and just don't make much money. I find it frustrating. Pesach is expensive. I'm doing it all without cleaning help or fancy new clothes. All I ask for is affordable food like others get.

I might really call. Does anyone have their phone number?

Any organizations that give fully free? im going nuts. My son had a Major health problem A ew months ago and Im so broke. I spent on him BH 2800 monthly. Im in Williamsburg -Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics