Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Pesto, how do you make it, which nuts?
1  2  Next

what kind of nut do you mostly use when making pesto?
pine nuts  
 81%  [ 65 ]
walnuts  
 10%  [ 8 ]
almonds  
 5%  [ 4 ]
other, please list  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 80

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:09 am
I made it for the first time for purim because we had some when we were in the states and one of my children liked it. It was store bought and I don't know what kind of nuts was used. Since I can't get pine nuts in this country, I saw walnuts can be used instead, so that's what I used. After I made it, I also saw that almonds can be also be used instead. Funny thing the one that I made it for didn't like it, but another one did Smile . What kind of nut do you use and if you've used others do you notice a big difference?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:13 am
Pine nuts are insanely expensive, even if they are easy to find.

There really isn't anything else that tastes quite the same. Walnuts are the closest, I guess. I don't use them because they are a migraine trigger for me.

I often leave out the nuts all together, and nobody ever complains. If you want to be fancy, you can get a small package of pine nuts, and just sprinkle a few on top for decoration. They are available by mail order.

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:17 am
Pine nuts. But on pesach, when I'm already paying a ton for food, I use walnuts.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:20 am
I skip the nuts altogether. But I
only make pesto in the summer when I can get the basil directly from the farmers market and it’s as fresh as can be.

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:21 am
The kosher versions in the store use cashew nuts. They don't taste anywhere near as good as pesto made from pine nuts which the unkosher versions use.

I never understood why the kosher version doesn't use pine nuts. We already pay crazy prices for food.

The best pesto recipes are milchag with pine nuts.

I have trouble getting basil leaves rather than pine nuts.

simba

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:26 am
Pine nuts only. They are expensive but the only right way to make real pesto.

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:27 am
Squishy wrote:
The kosher versions in the store use cashew nuts. They don't taste anywhere near as good as pesto made from pine nuts which the unkosher versions use.

I never understood why the kosher version doesn't use pine nuts. We already pay crazy prices for food.

The best pesto recipes are milchag with pine nuts.

I have trouble getting basil leaves rather than pine nuts.

Are there any non jewish supermarkets or produce stores near you? I never have difficulty finding basil there.

The kosher pre-made pesto is disgusting and nothing like the real thing. I only ever eat my homemade, with parmesan cheese and pine nuts or walnuts.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:32 am
I didn't mind spending the money on the pine nuts because how often do I get them, but I went to a few stores and no one has it and they said they don't even think it's sold in this country. Wouldn't not using any nuts change the taste completely? I would love to make the real kind with parmesana cheese, but I guess I'll save that for shavuos. Wink

aricelli

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:36 am
What do you use the pesto for on pesach?

Chickpea

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:42 am
Pine nuts are the only way to go. Ahhh, there's nothing like freshly grown basil. I used to grow my own basil. I don't buy fresh basil because I don't know how to check the leaves for insects.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:40 am
I use cashews. Love it!

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:56 am
I use cashews as well since it gives a smooth consistancy

Some ppl add Parmesan cheese

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:01 am
I love spinach walnut pesto.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:10 am
I use walnuts if I can't find pine nuts but I make it very rarely. I think if it is freshly made with fresh basil and garlic it will taste good and not resemble the jarred stuff at all no matter what nuts you use.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:38 am
I almost always use pine nuts (yes, expensive, but it's not like I need to make a gallon of pesto) but I've used cashews and it's been fine. Actually, pumpkin seeds (shelled, of course) make a pretty good substitute too. I've seen recipes with walnuts but I hate walnuts.

smss

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:45 am
I really like pesto made with walnuts. I toast them first and blend them in the food processor before I add the other ingredients. Basil, olive oil, crushed garlic, and a good amount of salt.

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:32 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Are there any non jewish supermarkets or produce stores near you? I never have difficulty finding basil there.

The kosher pre-made pesto is disgusting and nothing like the real thing. I only ever eat my homemade, with parmesan cheese and pine nuts or walnuts.

I tried 3 of the bigger ones and one exotic specialty vegetable store. I think I need to try an Italian grocery store.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:43 pm
A Sicilian neighbor taught me to make pistachio pesto, no pine nuts needed. Super yum!

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:34 pm
smss wrote:
I really like pesto made with walnuts. I toast them first and blend them in the food processor before I add the other ingredients. Basil, olive oil, crushed garlic, and a good amount of salt.

Same!

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:06 pm
aricelli wrote:
What do you use the pesto for on pesach?

I put it on salmon
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics