Home

What do people wear at a Pesach hotel?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Mistyrose


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
This is how I think
Wear what you would wear on YT to go to shul.
Wear what you would wear to go to a nice family restaurant (NOT A PIZZA STORE) on Chol Hamoed.
I wouldn’t go to a restaurant or even grocery shopping in a robe.

And just as a side note. Really wealthy ppl don’t dress up. Only those that have to prove something do. There are billionaires (more than one) in my community and they are simple sweet ppl.
They put on shoes one foot at a time like everyone.


I was going to say this. It depends on the crowd. Most people I know who are wealthy dress simply and plain. It really depends on the crowd and type and many time were they are from and their home community.

Crowds from Baltimore, boro Park, five towns, Montreal, la, will all dress very differently.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:49 pm
Not pesach but I went to KMR once and there were some definite over the top dressers. I wore sneakers during the week and maybe even a long skirt at a Shabbos meal lol. I didn't care

I have also been hosted by extremely wealthy jews, literally some of the richest frum people whose names every person here would recognize. One who is more BP / Flatbush was elaborate extravagant over the top both in dress and in the style of the meal. One who is modern orthodox was super low key, actually spent more on the food but were super casual. So yes it depends on the community the crowd is from bc there are simply different social expectations in each one. Also echoing what a previous poster said that really rich people (and I also know many secular ones, millionaires) usually prefer to look classy and simple.
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
... some of the richest frum people whose names every person here would recognize ...

Not prying, just wondering how true that is. Even for people who do live in the default location.
Back to top

amother




Yellow


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:01 pm
From my experience, if it's a wealthy crowd, even the non-fancy outfits will be chic and pulled together. They'll have a lot of different outfits for different occasions. If it's cooler at night you should make sure to bring warm stuff for that. They dress up a lot for yom tov night meals and wear heels.
I think breakfasts during the week are more low key.
I did see someone wear a robe and scarf during the week - but everything, including the slides, were cool/put together.
Back to top

amother




Vermilion


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:49 pm
I've gone to a bunch of different "higher end" pesach programs and most people do dress pretty fancy, changing twice a day. But not everyone does, and there is always a range. I do not own fancy clothes or shoes and dress very comfortably. I wear Crocs a lot because I have a lot of issues with my feet, and only wear a shaitel for short periods of time. I am definitely more the exception than the rule, but there are all types.
Back to top

amother




Oak


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I feel good about myself if I get myself and all my family ready for Pesach whether that is at home or at a posh hotel. I don’t need to spend money on make-up and clothes to make my Pesach special. The things that make my Pesach special don’t cost money: my three-year old learning the Ma Nishtana, the haggadot my children made many Pesachs ago but still use.

And if it means that other women at Pesach programs think my face is too bare and my clothes too boring, so be it. Hanging out with people so fixated on externals is not my idea of a fun Pesach at all.


That's really wonderful and I'm happy for you but please don't look down at people who just want to look nice. When I stay home for Pesach I hardly leave the house so clothes are not an issue. Now we have an opportunity to go to a pesach program so I'm enjoying putting some new outfits together. What's wrong with that? It doesn't make me a shallow person. There is an inyun of new clothes for YT and it's been a while since I did this.

Maybe you should re-read your post which was a bit condescending. I am not fixated on externals but am looking forward to the whole hotel experience which includes nice hotel and grounds, good food, good company. great shiurim and yes, dressing up a bit.

You do as you like and have a wonderful YT.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 5:56 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Not prying, just wondering how true that is. Even for people who do live in the default location.


Like saying Rothschild
Back to top

amother




Linen


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
That's really wonderful and I'm happy for you but please don't look down at people who just want to look nice. When I stay home for Pesach I hardly leave the house so clothes are not an issue. Now we have an opportunity to go to a pesach program so I'm enjoying putting some new outfits together. What's wrong with that? It doesn't make me a shallow person. There is an inyun of new clothes for YT and it's been a while since I did this.

Maybe you should re-read your post which was a bit condescending. I am not fixated on externals but am looking forward to the whole hotel experience which includes nice hotel and grounds, good food, good company. great shiurim and yes, dressing up a bit.

You do as you like and have a wonderful YT.


I don’t think my post is remotely condescending. In answer to the original question about what people wear at Pesach hotels, the answer is: clothes.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t think my post is remotely condescending. In answer to the original question about what people wear at Pesach hotels, the answer is: clothes.

I also was hurt by your post. I actually wrote a long response and decided not to send it bc I didn't want to get into an argument. It may not have been your intention but you said things that were hurtful. Please don't give me a hug that will be even more hurtful.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
I also was hurt by your post. I actually wrote a long response and decided not to send it bc I didn't want to get into an argument. It may not have been your intention but you said things that were hurtful. Please don't give me a hug that will be even more hurtful.

I don't want an arguement either. I was asking a genuine question and I'd still be very interested in hearing what you had to say
Back to top

amother




Linen


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
I also was hurt by your post. I actually wrote a long response and decided not to send it bc I didn't want to get into an argument. It may not have been your intention but you said things that were hurtful. Please don't give me a hug that will be even more hurtful.


My intention wasn’t to hurt, I am sorry.

I feel hurt by all the posts implying that I am breaking some kind of social contract by not being dressy all the time.
Back to top

amother




Cerise


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
Most pesach hotels cost 20k per family or more. So it is mostly wealthier people who can afford that.


There are many that are cheaper than that in the 6,000-10,000 range and I don't have a lot of kids. And everyone has their priorities we don't go on other vacations so this is what we save up for.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:21 pm
With this year yt set up, it's like you need about 10 outfits. I don't even own 10 shabbos outfits for summer ( for warmer climates)
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:17 am
amother wrote:
I don't want an arguement either. I was asking a genuine question and I'd still be very interested in hearing what you had to say

Op (amother powderblue), I didn't quote your post, I quoted what amother linen said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your original question.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Pesach Shnitzel Recipe - without Potato Starch
by Fave
20 Today at 10:10 am View last post
Closing off cabinets , fridge for Pesach
by amother
3 Today at 9:40 am View last post
Is perfume permissible on Pesach?
by amother
22 Today at 9:20 am View last post
Small sink pesach insert?
by amother
5 Today at 7:51 am View last post
Gift for pesach hosts
by amother
6 Today at 2:41 am View last post

Jump to: