Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Teaching mentchlichkeit

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:23 am
How do you teach it?
Politeness/kindness/being considerate etc

giselle

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:24 am
By example

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:34 am
giselle wrote:
By example

Of course! And I try, but I feel like my kids are picking up this not so mentchlich behavior from school and trying to think of ways to really emphasize it at home. I also have a family member who is around a lot and may not be the best model in this area. It's so painful to watch this behavior when it's so against my own values

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:47 am
By being friendly to everyone, volunteering, being considerate of others. By example.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
Of course! And I try, but I feel like my kids are picking up this not so mentchlich behavior from school and trying to think of ways to really emphasize it at home. I also have a family member who is around a lot and may not be the best model in this area. It's so painful to watch this behavior when it's so against my own values

I am dealing with a similar situation and it's really concerning me. I do think that ultimately, when kids have a strong relationship with their parents, that's who they want to emulate, so that's key.
Role playing situations (beforehand if possible) can also be very effective. And make a big deal about it when they do show mentchlichkeit and emphasize the effect it has on others. "I love how you said thank you to mommy for dinner! That made me feel so good! Mommy worked hard on dinner and it makes me feel so happy that you liked it!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics