Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Earring hole closed, now what?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:43 pm
DD (8) had her ears pierced something like 3+ years ago. Last week somehow one of her earrings got pinched too tight and gave her a cut, so I took out the earring to relieve the pain, intending to put it back a day or two later when the cut was less raw. Within those two days her earring hole completely closed over!

So first of all, is it normal for it to close up that fast?! After the ordeal of getting it pierced, taking care of the piercing site for the next couple of months, and keeping her in earrings since then, it's all gone in two days of boo-boo?

Secondly, when we're ready to talk about re-piercing it, how does it work? Do they open up the hole where it used to be or are we starting from scratch? Is there someone who specializes in this kind of situation? We had the original piercing done at Claire's but I'm not sure if that's the right destination now.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:56 pm
Do not panic.
When you guys are relaxed and calm, take petroleum jelly and smear some on back and front of the ear lobe. Add a drop to earring tip too. Working from the back, gently get the earring in. Then once you've made your way through the hole, you can put it in properly from the front.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do not panic.
When you guys are relaxed and calm, take petroleum jelly and smear some on back and front of the ear lobe. Add a drop to earring tip too. Working from the back, gently get the earring in. Then once you've made your way through the hole, you can put it in properly from the front.

I do it front to back, and use neosporin or bacitracin.

My suspicion is that its not closed, its infected, which is mimicking it being closed. The neosporin/bacitracin will help.

If it actually is closed, though, take her to a real piercing place, not a mall. They'll have processionals who will reopen the old hole.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do not panic.

I've done that in the past but this really looks closed. Like there is skin all the way over the hole, front and back. That was after 2 days! And then it's been another few days before I thought to ask on imamother.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:27 pm
seeker wrote:
I've done that in the past but this really looks closed. Like there is skin all the way over the hole, front and back. That was after 2 days! And then it's been another few days before I thought to ask on imamother.

See If your pediatrician does it. My pediatrician does ear piercing at the office. And you can be comfortable that it's being done in a sterile environment with sterile equipment. My doctor did tell me that she took off her daughters earrings so that she could play soccer and just after a few hours the hole closed. She warned me not to take them out for this reason. Obviously your daughter had a cut and didn't have a choice.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:46 pm
seeker wrote:

Gently apply pressure to the lobe over the piercing. Is it hard, or it it soft? If its hard, its either an infection or the start of a keloid.

After 3 years, it shouldn't close in a few days.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:54 pm
MRSA, specifically, creates a biofilm that mimics skin. You may be able to actually pull it off, if that is what you are seeing. But wear gloves. No need to risk infecting yourself.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:10 pm
I just don't want to hurt her by peeling anything when I can't be sure if that's what it is... It sure looks like skin...

naomi1

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:18 pm
It happened to my daughter once. What worked was using an earring with a post as opposed to an earring that is a loop along with cream as suggested above.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:24 pm
All of her earrings are posts. If she had hoops then I guess she wouldn't have gotten cut by the earring back as she did :-(
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics