Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cheapest fence option

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:44 pm
I want to build a 6 foot fence at the back of my house because there are constantly people walking through our yard. I called a company but it is very expensive to built a tall wooden fence. Do you have any ideas for me for a DIY or other alternative?
Thanks

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:47 pm
Can you & dh try to put something like this up yourself?
Home Depot & Lowe's should have good options and instructions.
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/.....D_BwE

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:10 pm
Would you plant a row of privacy trees? Completely surrounding your yard? I did that and once they grew in no more people going through. I think it was cheaper or about the same price as a fence. I also went down to henursery and bought the trees wholesale so that saved me some also

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:54 pm
The cheapest alternative is a chain link fence - not the most esthetic but you can plant vegetation which should fairly rapidly disguise it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
The cheapest alternative is a chain link fence - not the most esthetic but you can plant vegetation which should fairly rapidly disguise it.

We actually just put in a fence. We got 6 bids and every company told us that with new terrifs on metal plus the labor, chain link is now more expensive than treated wood.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
We actually just put in a fence. We got 6 bids and every company told us that with new terrifs on metal plus the labor, chain link is now more expensive than treated wood.

That could well be - I just finished a remodel and my GC told me that prices on stuff really went up and I was lucky that the majority of my materials had been ordered prior to the impact. I was basing my post on information prior to the tariff.

I bought a bed last year over the internet and I think it was about $400 - I couldn't use it and gave it to my friend and when I looked it up because she had lost the instructions Very Happy the price had gone up to $590 - literally since October 2017 when I bought it which was about 18 months ago.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
That could well be - I just finished a remodel and my GC told me that prices on stuff really went up and I was lucky that the majority of my materials had been ordered prior to the impact. I was basing my post on information prior to the tariff.

I bought a bed last year over the internet and I think it was about $400 - I couldn't use it and gave it to my friend and when I looked it up because she had lost the instructions Very Happy the price had gone up to $590 - literally since October 2017 when I bought it which was about 18 months ago.

Yeah, we did vinyl on part of the fence and treated wood on part and the price was almost the same as chain link, including labor - chain link is more labor intensive than wood or vinyl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics