Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Rheumatism after pneumonia

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:38 pm
My 6yo DD had pneumonia last October.

Ever since then, she has had pain in her legs, which has been diagnosed as rheumatism after some blood tests.

She has been seen by a rheumatologist who told us that the rheumatism has been caused by the pneumonia and it will disappear permanently in a few months, but it been almost 6 months and we have not seen any improvement.

I have been looking online for information and have not found anything that indicates this kind of "temporary" rheumatism is possible. All I have found is that in some cases, an illness like pneumonia can trigger rheumatism in someone who was already susceptible to it and it might go into temporary remission but it will never disappear.

Has anyone ever experienced this with one of their children?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:44 pm
My DS had reactive arthritis to strep which they initially thought was rheumatic fever. His knees , ankles and hips swelled up suddenly and he couldn't walk or move. It did go away. I'm not sure if it's similar to what your child is experiencing. We were told to be extra vigilant with him to try to keep him from getting sick etc. because he may be suseptible to having it happen again. Baruch HaShem he's had strep since and he didn't have the reaction.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics