Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Tips for losing weight/gaining control over eating habits
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:22 am
Op. I could have written your post. I've tried nutritionist, weight watchers, etc... I tottally get you. I cant be constantly counting points, thinking about what I'll have for lunch or supper or making separate suppers for myself. I've found that as long as I was seeing a dietician I made progress but it is very expensive. And every time I diet for a while, when I get off it, I lose control.
To disagree what someone responded - not wanting to count points does not ean OP does not want to lose weight.
Unfortunately some people struggle way more than others in this department and get way fewer results even if they may put in more effort than others.
Just posting to say "I'm with you on this journey"

syrima

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:37 am
here's my 2 cents - try the free Bitesnap app - you just take pics of your food and it counts the calories for you. Really helped me lose 20 lbs and keep it off!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:13 am
The unfortunate fact is, any sustained lifestyle change is going to involve some form of tracking. It will be more intense in the beginning, less so as you get used things and get a feel for how much x is in a plateful of y, but the fact is, you'll need to track what you eat, whether it's carbs, calories, etc. I've made the decision that I'm not interested in constant tracking. I'll do it for awhile to lose a few pounds and then back off, and I'll try to be careful not to gain, but that will be the extent of my effort. It mean I'll never get to my ideal weight, but as long as I'm generally healthy, that's no longer a priority for me. But any significant, sustained weight loss is going to require some sort of tracking and accountability system. I hear good things about my fitness pal, which is free.

TriAspora

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:47 am
I personally love Weight Watchers app on my phone which allows me to quickly keep track of daily points and weekly extras. There are other systems that might be better for you, but I agree with the posts above: accountability is the key, especially at the start of your weight loss journey. You even might need to measure and weigh food to see correct portion sizes.

Some people seem to be doing extremely well with low carb and/or intermitent fasting, but do what works for you - while keeping records on what and how much you eat - at least in the beginning.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:59 am
There's a lot more to weight loss than diet and exercise, obviously.

Insulin resistance is something you need to check into.

Another thing that jumped out at me, is when you mentioned emotional eating. This is the Number One factor that will make or break you.

You can diet and exercise all you want, but if you brain is using food to soothe itself, you will always be miserable, and always be craving, 24/7. You need to find a therapist, psychologist, hypnotist, whatever it takes to rewire your brain's reward system. You have to find a healthy replacement for food that will fill that deep need. Until you do that, you will be fighting yourself the whole way, and you can't win over your programming without help.

My sister and I went on the HCG protocol together. She lost nearly 90 pounds, and I lost 60. Ten years later, I've kept the weight off. My sister gained it all back in a year, because of her emotional issues. She's not weak or stupid, she's a clinical psychologist! She just needs more help than I do in that department, and she takes after our mom more than I do.

You are going to have to make a choice. Either the deep, delicious satisfaction of overeating, that stimulates all of your reward centers and floods away your depression - or a healthy body that will live longer. It's as hard as asking a heroin addict to "just stop." You might find some support through Overeaters Anonymous. It's worth looking into to see if it is a good fit for you.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:12 am
TriAspora wrote:
I personally love Weight Watchers app on my phone which allows me to quickly keep track of daily points and weekly extras. There are other systems that might be better for you, but I agree with the posts above: accountability is the key, especially at the start of your weight loss journey. You even might need to measure and weigh food to see correct portion sizes.

Some people seem to be doing extremely well with low carb and/or intermitent fasting, but do what works for you - while keeping records on what and how much you eat - at least in the beginning.

I second Weight Watchers. I never had to diet in my life, and then when I did have to diet, I had a really hard time with it. WW keeps me accountable and is really easy (the first week or two is a little challenging until you get used to it). I also didn't want to count points or be busy with that, but once you get into it it's really not a big deal. I lost over 40 pounds in 5 months.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:12 am
Re: tracking and mindfulness
I’ve been thinking about these things since reading them here.

Mindfulness- in my experience, mindfulness is not enough to overcome an insulin reaction for me, because it makes me want to eat like a maniac. NOW, mindfulness is totally possible for me, because I can actually think it through and not have craving influence my decision. I had to get rid of that physical interference before I could get peace enough to be mindful.

Tracking- to me, tracking is not good, bad or indifferent. I have successful friends who do it maniacally, and successful friends who don’t do it at all. I don’t do it most of the time, because it sets off behaviour triggers that are from my disordered days. However, when I had radical weight jumps start for me last fall ( they appeared to be hormonally driven) I recorded my food for three weeks and sent to my dietician who agreed that I was doing nothing crazy with my food. It’s a tool. I don’t really need to use it most of the time, but once in a while, it’s good for me to check in. It’s a tool, not my way of life. I also don’t count macros.

I lean towards high fat choices over excessive protein choices. Either way, I’m very low carb because that’s what works for me, but I have blood sugar issues to keep in remission, so my eating is skewed to the results I find most important.

Mindfulness is key in that process. No matter how much I love whatever veg I eat, I need to be mindful that too much will set off cravings. If I want to consume massive quantities of meat, I have to remember that a moderate amount will fill me up and massive quantities will make me feel physically sick.

I tend to eat pretty slowly now because I eat to satiety AND can actually tell when that is. Before, I could eat and eat and eat. I don’t even make mistakes overeating any more. Either I eat in smaller chunks at a meal and eat more as needed, ( like at a shabbat meal)or let’s say I need to eat in my 1/2 hour break at work, I eat some, and then after my shift eat again to satiety.

I still think that one way or the other, I could not do these things with the hormonal interference that comes for me with carbs of just about any description. But what I do is what works for me. Aside from suggesting no sugar/no grains/ no high sugar fruit I think people should work on perfecting their own plans.

I have a friend who is prediabetic on WW. He needs to count his corn and peas and fruit even though they are ‘free’ because otherwise he will progress to full blown diabetes. Everyone has to do what works for them. They need to be honest about it with themselves. They need to fix their problem areas. I asked my if he minded husband to stop buying nuts. They are a behavioural problem for me, and they undermine my peace, no matter how low in carbs. I’d have still tried to stop eating them if he hadn’t agreed to stop buying. Luckily he was also looking at that as a place to trim in his way of eating. Now we both have peace.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:19 am
Andrea, I'm hypoglycemic, and always have to carry nuts with me.

It just goes to show that there is no "one size fits all" program.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:20 am
Culturedpearls wrote:
I did the nutritionist route & while I did loose weight I did not like feeling like a naughty child.
Weight watchers is great & I learnt about which foods are good to eat on the free list . However counting points is a pain.
So now I’m on 16/8 diet while incorporating much of what I learnt during weightwatchers.
Basically you fast (water, unsweetened tea & coffee are allowed) for 16 hours. You eat freely for a 8 hour time slot. During the week I start eating 10:30am & end 6:30pm. Friday’s I start 12 or even 1pm due to Friday night seuda.
It’s easy. No counting. No food enters my mouth for 16 hours.
It’s not magic . The weight loss is slow but steady. I’m not feeling deprived. I’m not cooking special foods. Obviously I’m also not eating junk but an occasional chocolate is fine .
I am not dreaming of stopping when I reach my goal weight either. I can adjust my 8 hour eating block to suit whatever I’m doing.

It’s so interesting you should say this. Years ago, when I first heard about IF, my first thought was ‘I could totally eat as much as I eat in one day in 8 hours.’

Now I’d say 99% of my days are IF with some 18/6, 23/1 and recently 24+. I don’t really think about it much beyond the minimum of 16 ( not always possible on Shabbat) and eat when hungry. I cook every week for Shabbat and we always have enough for the whole week. So making food when I need it doesn’t happen. I open the fridge and eat. Or eat scrambled eggs if we are out of leftovers.

I know people who do IF not completely low carb and think it’s great if it works for them. I think that it would be much harder for me with my sensitivity to carbs if I still ate them, but there is for sure a validity to limiting the times of day you eat.

nursemomma

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:31 am
You should look into a health coach. They can help you form new habits around food and eating, and break away from old ones. They can also teach you how to eat intuitively.
It will cost money, but hopefully, you can learn skills that will stay with you once you're done.
There is a new online short pre-pesach course being done by a frum health coach. You can pm me for more info.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Andrea, I'm hypoglycemic, and always have to carry nuts with me.

It just goes to show that there is no "one size fits all" program.

That’s very true and why I said that I personally don’t eat nuts. Many low carbers do. Of course part of the point of low carb is not to have the lows. Without need for insulin, your blood sugar stays more stable which is why I started this. With retinopathy, blood sugar swings are dangerous, so I needed low and stable.

I think nuts are a great choice if they solve your hypoglycaemic times.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:13 pm
I am totally understanding of your struggle, because I have been struggling since being in 8th grade. I have seen nutritionists and weight watchers, myfitnesspal. I get it. You don't want to spend your life counting points and preparing healthy foods. It's murder. After every baby, I need to try again. Now, I have 20 pounds to lose and baby is 18 months old.
I have read a book about boxing out certain foods and boxing in certain foods. It was interesting. I can not cut out all carbs. I know if would take away cravings, but I don't think that's a normal lifestyle. I need to be able to wash on Shabbos and yomtov. I don't want to cut out a food group. I LOVE chocolate. But to lose weight, I need to box it out, box out candy, not natural sugar, cake, cookies. First 3 days are very very very difficult. I need to make a healthy vegetable soup, stock my house with healthy fruits and vegetables, make a conscious effort to drink more water, get enough sleep, try to by active or do exercise. Make a list of all the healthy foods I love and keep them in stock, grape tomatoes, snap peas, etc. Focus on what you could have, rather than what you can't have. We can do this together. Definitely, decrease carbs, 1 cup cheerios or fiber 1 for breakfast. LESS CARBS throughout the day! We can do this. and we must find other things besides food when emotions come into the picture

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:58 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
I did the nutritionist route & while I did loose weight I did not like feeling like a naughty child.
Weight watchers is great & I learnt about which foods are good to eat on the free list . However counting points is a pain.
So now I’m on 16/8 diet while incorporating much of what I learnt during weightwatchers.
Basically you fast (water, unsweetened tea & coffee are allowed) for 16 hours. You eat freely for a 8 hour time slot. During the week I start eating 10:30am & end 6:30pm. Friday’s I start 12 or even 1pm due to Friday night seuda.
It’s easy. No counting. No food enters my mouth for 16 hours.
It’s not magic . The weight loss is slow but steady. I’m not feeling deprived. I’m not cooking special foods. Obviously I’m also not eating junk but an occasional chocolate is fine .
I am not dreaming of stopping when I reach my goal weight either. I can adjust my 8 hour eating block to suit whatever I’m doing.

This is how I've been losing weight. IF is the only eating plan I've used where I don't feel deprived. During my eating window, I eat pretty much whatever I want. I've cut out most sugar because I think it's really bad for you, though I do have chocolate sometimes and cake or cookies on shabbat. I don't eat low carb. When I tried a low carb diet, I felt hungry and deprived. IF is doable for me, and research shows that fasting is good for the body.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 3:05 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Stop eating carbs. No sweeteners.no fruit. No processed foods. It won’t be hard after the First couple of days.

Totally agree! I’m doing Keto and it kills your appetite and cravings! Every other diet left me hungry!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 3:06 pm
andrea levy wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/7518jbA.jpg

You look so good, Andrea! Kudos to you!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 3:31 pm
I’m NSNGing
Not sure if I’m in Ketosis as I don’t measure.
The cravings are there.
Purim was hard
It may address the physiological issues, but it will not address emotional eating.
Whatever diet you choose you will need to find better coping techniques.

I’m not judging, just been through it all

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
I am really becoming depressed. I am totally out of control in the eating/losing weight department. I very much want to be in control of my eating habits and be thinner/healthier than I currently am. I went to a nutritionist a couple of months ago and I lost a little. But then I felt like it was expensive and I already knew everything that she was telling me, I just had to apply it. So I stopped going... but now throughout the winter I have been slowly been putting on weight. The logical part of my brain tells me that I have to just shut my mouth and restrain myself from eating everything that I want to, but then I just lose it and give in. I'm so upset at myself.... I know that with the spring/Pesach coming, I won't be able to hide under my coat anymore, and I want to look nice, but I am having such a hard time. Anybody have any tips? I dont want any crazy diets.

I think you hit the nail on the head here...and in your title as well. It's all about habits.

If you have the healthy habits and keep them up, you will lose weight. But it is something you'll have to do forever. Are you ready for that?

There's a great book I recommend for people who really want to change, but you have to DO it, not just read it. It's CBT-based so it addresses both thoughts and behaviors. It's called The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck.

Some habits:
1. Eat sitting down
2. Eat planned food - yes, you do have to plan your food in advance and have a food plan
3. Eat till comfortably full - not overfull.
4. Drink water
5. Exercise
6. Scheduled meal times

If you are currently struggling and have been so for a while, you will probably continue to struggle unless you change. That's the straight truth. And if you want to maintain the weight loss, you are going to have to maintain the changes forever. Hard truth.

It's really hard. I continue to struggle with it myself. BTDT. This is what works.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 5:48 pm
Nobody's mentioned this yet, I'm surprised.

Overeaters Anonymous, that's the only thing that works for me.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Nobody's mentioned this yet, I'm surprised.

Overeaters Anonymous, that's the only thing that works for me.

What foods are allowed on the meal plan?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:19 pm
thanks wrote:
You can get the app myfitnesspal. You can log what you eat,and see how many calories. It helped me control myself.

I really liked myfitnesspal. Free app.
It helped me lose!
I felt out was fun inputting my food and water and seeing exactly how much I are of my allowance each day.
You also need to weigh yourself weekly, same time, same level of dress.
For example, I always gain over shabbos, so my weigh in day was Thursday morning-wake up, go to the bathroom, wash hands, weigh in wearing same nightgown.

I know how it feels to cry and feel like giving up and eating more. Don't!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise