Home

Baby crying, going crazy!
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Navy


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:34 pm
My four week old baby has been doing this thing where she'll start crying five minutes into a feeding and will keep crying until she's exhausted and falls asleep. Or, I'll nurse her and she'll fall asleep a few minutes in and not nurse.
I'm going crazy from all the crying, and I feel bad for her! What do I do???
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:39 pm
This is all normal baby behavior. It’s really hard and I’m sure you are exhausted. Remind yourself that she is brand new and learning so much and it’s really exhausting for her. And her crying is how she communicates, it doesn’t necessarily mean she’s in pain or distress, or you are doing anything wrong. Babies cry!

I found taking my baby outside would sometimes calm her down when she was freaking out. There are lots of tips for helping a sleeping baby nurse, but fhe most important is to know that it’s normal and gets better with time. Undress the baby before feeding, pulse your breast while you nurse etc, stroke the babies face, ( look this up online).

Good luck! This will get easier with time. You are doing great!
Back to top

anonymrs




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:40 pm
Sounds like might be reflux. First thing I'd do is check for tongue and lip ties. Next, eliminate dairy and soy from diet and start taking a probiotic.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:41 pm
Is she gaining weight? Has someone looked to make sure your milk is flowing well?
Back to top

thanks




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:43 pm
A lactation consultant should be able to help you. They are trained to diagnose tongue tie, lip tie or any other reason your baby is crying while nursing.
Get help. You and your baby need to eat and sleep.


Last edited by thanks on Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Navy


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:51 pm
Thank you all for the quick replies!
I've seen a lactation consultant who said that baby has a posterior lip tie, she also weighed the baby before and after a feeding and she gained close to 3 ounces, so it seems I'm producing enough. I was thinking it might be reflux, but the baby barely ever spits up-she does randomly swallow when she's not eating though, and makes weird breathing noises which everyone is saying is normal for a newborn. By her two week appointment she was not at her birth weight yet
I feel so bad for her that she spends most of the day screaming, and seems to be in pain. Also, she can't be getting enough to eat the way things are going. And I myself can't continue to function like this, spending my days and nights trying to nurse her and then calm her down.
I'm thinking of calling the doctor tomorrow, I just am not really sure what to say. I feel like they'll just dismiss it as normal newborn behavior (which it might be, I don't know!)
Back to top

funmother




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:01 pm
It normal! It's takes all there energy to nurse. That little drop that he nursed made him so tired he conked out but he's still hungry. So he wakes up from hunger and the cycle starts again. This can also happen if he's frustrated because yourb"let down milk came to slow" When baby does that give him a pumped nursing bottle. Also possible less likely is that your "let down" milk when you are nursing is coming to fast or so after a minute he cries doesnt eat because he needs to burp
Back to top

amother




Firebrick


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you all for the quick replies!
I've seen a lactation consultant who said that baby has a posterior lip tie, she also weighed the baby before and after a feeding and she gained close to 3 ounces, so it seems I'm producing enough. I was thinking it might be reflux, but the baby barely ever spits up-she does randomly swallow when she's not eating though, and makes weird breathing noises which everyone is saying is normal for a newborn. By her two week appointment she was not at her birth weight yet
I feel so bad for her that she spends most of the day screaming, and seems to be in pain. Also, she can't be getting enough to eat the way things are going. And I myself can't continue to function like this, spending my days and nights trying to nurse her and then calm her down.
I'm thinking of calling the doctor tomorrow, I just am not really sure what to say. I feel like they'll just dismiss it as normal newborn behavior (which it might be, I don't know!)


Go see the doctor. Get your daughter weighed again.

(and would you consider pumping and allowing someone to bottle feed her so you could get a break?)
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:26 pm
I would see the doctor and maybe a different lactation consultant. Discuss all the options with the doctor and ask if he/she thinks you should consider bottle feeding since the nursing is such a struggle. I hope this all resolves itself soon
Back to top

amother




Honeydew


Post  Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:39 pm
I was told my child was tongue tied, I should use a nipple shield. My Dr. will only clip it if I tried the shield and the baby doesnt gain weight . He said the tongue will stretch on it's own. Worked well. And for my next dd too that was not tong tied
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:52 am
anonymrs wrote:
Sounds like might be reflux. First thing I'd do is check for tongue and lip ties. Next, eliminate dairy and soy from diet and start taking a probiotic.


This...it looks very much like reflux. Not all baby's that have reflux vomit. I would go back to your doctor asap the only thing that worked for us is meds and a very strict diet of no milk, soy, or sugar. At one point I couldn't be on this diet I stated giving her neocate. Louds of luck, please have it done asap for its very painful.
Back to top

camp123




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:27 am
My baby did the same. It took me ages to convince the dr that it was reflux because she wasn't spitting up. Google silent reflux and see if her symptoms match. If it is you need medication
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:49 am
Mazal tov!!!!

This won't help with the crying - for that, you need on-site diagnosis and help, like everyone else said.

But when you're going crazy, getting angry, feeling completely overwhelmed:

1. Make sure your baby is in a safe location
2. Walk away, and do whatever you need to do to feel calmer - breathe, take a drink of water, nap, shower.

Given a choice between being held by a stressed, tense, and lost mom, or being put in the crib for a bit until a gracious and loving mom is ready to care for baby, the latter is much better for baby and much better for you.
Back to top

Angel




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 4:56 am
Might be silent reflux.
Try using a nipple shield or pump.
My baby had tongue tie, until we didnt cut it-poor baby poor mum.
Back to top

anonymrs




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:34 am
If your baby has a posterior tongue tie or lip tie, that can be the problem. BTDT and so grateful we have no more reflux issues. Please see someone asap to take care of it. If you post your location, I may be able to help you out with a doctor.

Article about oral ties and reflux

eta- we did it first with someone local and it was an incomplete job, needing to be redone. We went to the doctor who wrote the article that I linked and were so happy. If you're anywhere in the tristate area, I highly recommend him. www.drscottsiegel.com


Last edited by anonymrs on Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

amother




Cyan


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:34 am
May be silent reflux. They don't spit up, but have acid coming up (but not out).
I had this with my 5th. She had a hard time nursing (because of the pain) and screamed all day. I was going nuts. I took her to the doctor and said help me, I'm going nuts, my other kids are going nuts, and she's miserable. They put her on zantac. It took a couple days to kick in, but it was a difference between night and day. She was much happier.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 9:44 am
Rappel wrote:
Mazal tov!!!!

This won't help with the crying - for that, you need on-site diagnosis and help, like everyone else said.

But when you're going crazy, getting angry, feeling completely overwhelmed:

1. Make sure your baby is in a safe location
2. Walk away, and do whatever you need to do to feel calmer - breathe, take a drink of water, nap, shower.


Given a choice between being held by a stressed, tense, and lost mom, or being put in the crib for a bit until a gracious and loving mom is ready to care for baby, the latter is much better for baby and much better for you.


This is SO important! DD had colic for the first 4 months, and I was at my wit's end. I googled colic, and I was shocked to hear that lack of sleep/rest for the mother was the number one cause of maternal infantcide. Surprised Crying

Being stressed can also hold your milk back, so keep that in mind, too.

I'm not a fan of introducing a bottle to a breast fed baby, but I had to cave in. Once she started gaining, she slept through the night like a champ. Enfamil Lactofree formula was our magic ticket to happiness.

I was heartbroken that she weaned herself early, but I had to do what was best for her, and for both of us.
Back to top

heidi




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
May be silent reflux. They don't spit up, but have acid coming up (but not out).
I had this with my 5th. She had a hard time nursing (because of the pain) and screamed all day. I was going nuts. I took her to the doctor and said help me, I'm going nuts, my other kids are going nuts, and she's miserable. They put her on zantac. It took a couple days to kick in, but it was a difference between night and day. She was much happier.

This. We called Zantac "baby Prozac". It made such a difference. Baby screamed all the time until we started giving it to him. After that ate and slept normally. You could see when it was wearing off cause he'd start getting fidgety and kvetchy
Never ever spit up.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:13 am
Definitely get medical causes ruled out. Could be wheat or dairy allergy.
Back to top

amother




Tangerine


Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:58 am
Thrush? That causes pain during feeding
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Now she's immune, but will her baby survive?
by amother
154 Today at 5:02 pm View last post
by nchr
Please pray for my baby
by amother
22 Fri, May 17 2019, 8:18 am View last post
Travel with baby?
by amother
11 Tue, May 14 2019, 9:16 am View last post
Which smells drive you crazy? 108 Tue, May 14 2019, 6:45 am View last post
by tsc3
Would you bring your baby?
by amother
25 Mon, May 13 2019, 12:34 pm View last post

Jump to: