Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey commuting to Passaic girls school
  Previous  1  2  3   10  11  12  Next

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
OP, the hashkafa of the shcool in Passaic does not align with a typical chassidish family. Unless you're family is modern chassidish or ex chassidish.
I cannot fathom someone moving out without being accepted to a school & then be ready to just send to any school that accepts you.

I can fathom that.
If you can't, be happy and don't try.
Al tadin es chavercha ad shetagia, and you don't want to be in that persons shoes.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:51 pm
Amother mustard, no school in Passaic is a comparison to BY of BP or Monsey, both of which have plenty of chassidish students.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Amother mustard, no school in Passaic is a comparison to BY of BP or Monsey, both of which have plenty of chassidish students.

My daughter had a classmate from a chasidish family who moved to Monsey area.

They placed their daughter in a chasidish school, but she was unhappy there.
She travels to a school in Passaic and is very happy there.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:06 pm
Amother mustard, My daughter or any other chassidish kid can also be happy in a modern school. That doesn't mean we should send her to one.
Unless it's a last resort and certain circumstances which is probably the case for your daughters friend.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
Amother mustard, My daughter or any other chassidish kid can also be happy in a modern school. That doesn't mean we should send her to one.
Unless it's a last resort and certain circumstances which is probably the case for your daughters friend.

I don’t consider BY schools to be “modern” schools.
They have very frum hashkafas, like I said very similar to chasidish schools.

Are these schools in Passaic modern or BY types?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t consider BY schools to be “modern” schools.
They have very frum hashkafas, like I said very similar to chasidish schools.

Are these schools in Passaic modern or BY types?

More modern! Not BY type at all.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:

I wonder about that. I see such ultra fine girls from Passaic, like those from BYHS of Monsey, the old BY.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:30 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I wonder about that. I see such ultra fine girls from Passaic, like those from BYHS of Monsey, the old BY.
I agree. Years ago when I was in seminary I observed a few classrooms in the BY type of Passaic elementary schools and the girls were dressed like typical Bais Yaakov of BP students . But that's 20 yeara ago and things have changed. I know someone rebbish that don't look or dress rebbish and their daughter commutes from Monsey to Passaic. Their daughter is very happy there. Prior to that she was in Bnos Derech Yisroel and I think they were giving them a hard time. They are more trendy , (wouldn't call them cool though).

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:38 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I agree. Years ago when I was in seminary I observed a few classrooms in the BY type of Passaic elementary schools and the girls were dressed like typical Bais Yaakov of BP students . But that's 20 yeara ago and things have changed. I know someone rebbish that don't look or dress rebbish and their daughter commutes from Monsey to Passaic. Their daughter is very happy there. Prior to that she was in Bnos Derech Yisroel and I think they were giving them a hard time. They are more trendy , (wouldn't call them cool though).

I think this is the family I am referencing.
(Though I don’t think they’re rebbish).

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:

Huh?!?! Yeshiva Ketana is by no means modern. It may be a community school, but is in line with BY hashkafos. My Yeshiva Katana daughter who is now in Bais Yaakov of Passaic (the high school of yeshiva ketana, same building) could just as easily go to Bais Yaakov of Monsey. Please specify which school you are referring to when making such comments.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:12 pm
It sounds like you're talking about Yeshiva Ktana which is also knows as Bnos Bracha. There are girls who commute from Monsey including Chassiddish girls who couldn't get in or got kicked out of Monsey schools. Rabbi Hirth believes in a school for everyone but I don't think the parent body is thrilled with his decision to accept these girls.
The hashgafa of the school is not chassidish AT ALL. The students are almost exclusively litvish, there are a few Chabbad families, these new Monsey families and a couple teachers from Union City. It's officially a community school, I would compare it closest to YSV. There is a big range of types from Modern to very yeshivish with most falling somewhere in the middle. Some classes are a mix, some more modern, some more yeshivish.

cookies6

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:

You have it completely wrong. Yeshiva K'tana (Bnos Bracha) and the Bais Yaakov high school are very much Bais Yaakov schools. You may be referencing some of the other schools in the neighborhood but I wouldn't necessarily call those modern either.

cookies6

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:49 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Amother mauve really has it wrong.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:58 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

We are seriously considering a move to Passaic for that very reason. The kids (boys and girls) seem to turn out extra well there, and everyone who lives there says that it's a wonderful place to raise children.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 4:21 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Dankbar, it's called chassidish lite these days

This girl is like that because she went to this school. Father wears short pants & white socks shabbos. Full beard. Peyos down. Wool tzitzis outside. Every day hi beaver hat. Long reckel. Bachurim of this family same thing. Long peyos down. Bekishe & hi biber hat shabbos. Long suit every day. Every yom tov they're in Tosh. She's looks more modern than her mom.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about Yeshiva Ktana which is also knows as Bnos Bracha. There are girls who commute from Monsey including Chassiddish girls who couldn't get in or got kicked out of Monsey schools. Rabbi Hirth believes in a school for everyone but I don't think the parent body is thrilled with his decision to accept these girls.
The hashgafa of the school is not chassidish AT ALL. The students are almost exclusively litvish, there are a few Chabbad families, these new Monsey families and a couple teachers from Union City. It's officially a community school, I would compare it closest to YSV. There is a big range of types from Modern to very yeshivish with most falling somewhere in the middle. Some classes are a mix, some more modern, some more yeshivish.

I don’t know anything about this school you’re describing, but I just want to say kol hakavod to this Rabbi for being inclusive to girls from all kinds of families.
The snobby parents should take their kids elsewhere if they can’t handle having girls in the school who come from different kinds of families than theirs.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 5:06 pm
Amother mustard, if a school is on a certain hashkafa/frumkeit level and most parents are on the same level, it's understandable that parents are upset when the school starts accepting girls that are not on the same level. Parents are entitled to have a say. This does not make tuition paying parents snobby.
I would be very upset if my girls school would just accept anyone that applies. Everyone should send to where they belong.

Lesia

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
Amother mustard, if a school is on a certain hashkafa/frumkeit level and most parents are on the same level, it's understandable that parents are upset when the school starts accepting girls that are not on the same level. Parents are entitled to have a say. This does not make tuition paying parents snobby.
I would be very upset if my girls school would just accept anyone that applies. Everyone should send to where they belong.

Thankfully there are schools who disagree with your elitist and holier than thou attitude.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:03 pm
It's not elitist and holier than though at all...
I cannot even begin to imagine how most girls, especially chassidish girls, will turn out if the schools would just accept every yiddisha neshama. You know very well that in today's day and age this is not the ideal way. That's why different schools cater to different people on all different levels. I don't want my girls going to school with girls that watch TV, listen to and sing secular music, talk about celebrities..... this does not make me elite and holier than thou, this just means that our hashkafa's are different.
Why is it so hard for people to send where they belong?????

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:

Define modern.
Page 2 of 12   Previous  1  2  3   10  11  12  Next Recent Topics