Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey commuting to Passaic girls school
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:07 pm
gold21 wrote:
I know the basic halachos. There are stringencies that are standard in my circles but I think it's important to know the basic halacha as well.

For ex, for Shiva Nikiim, in my circles we do Hefsek, then bedika twice a day for 7 days. Basic halacha is Hefsek, then once on day 1, once on day 7. In my circles, girls begin to dress more tzniusdik around age 6/7. Basic halacha is bas mitzvah age. Etc.

Yes, I like knowing basic halacha. Everyone should.

What's chumrah for one person may be basic halachah for another. A prime example of this is cholov yisroel. We follow R Moshe's psak that cholov yisroel is a chumrah, but I know many who hold that cholov yisroel is not a chumrah but basic halachah.

As for your example about tznius in young girls, we asked our Rav and he said that my daughter should dress more tzniusdig starting at five or so. Not chumrah, halachah. Another example is length of hair. I have heard that Chassidishe Rabbanim have paskened that you may not have a shaitel that is longer than shoulder length, my Rav paskened that my shaitel should be two three inches below shoulder but not longer. I'm assuming others have paskened differently based on the amount of long shaitels I see around town, but I am bound by the psak of the Rav that I asked... that's how halachah works.

So... it may be a chumrah for you, halachah for someone else.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
The same chasidic group who paskens that girls wear tights at three also pasken that any and all boxes of food, plastic rip-open containers, individually wrapped ices boxes, milk bottles, soda, packaged goods, plastic bags containing disposables, can be ripped even if the container remains usable. This is halacha for us.
If I may ask, is this halacha for you?
And by the way, this same group is the most lenient when it comes to shaalos of taharas hamishpacha. According to one of the foremost poskim in Boro park, they are the most lenient than all shades and stripes of klal yisrael.
The chumra word is used again and again in non-chasidish circles. It is thrown around much too often.

Because we understand the halachic process and that dressing fully tznius from age 3 is a chumrah and a minhag for your sect. That doesn’t mean it’s not binding for you.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
Because we understand the halachic process and that dressing fully tznius from age 3 is a chumrah and a minhag for your sect. That doesn’t mean it’s not binding for you.

I'm not Chassidish. A different amother posted that her dayan said that this is halachah.

Other things ARE halacha for me though, including dressing more tzniusdig (skirts, not leggings, etc) from a certain age.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:54 pm
Halacha in this case is not showing ervah.

There are different opinions what age and if from the knee down is ervah.

What type of article of clothing you used to cover ervah is not halacha, therefore if the 3 year old girls wears leggings, pants, long skirt or other article of clothing to cover she is following halacha according to that shita.

Cholov Yisroel is not a chumrah it is a d'rabannan. Rav Moshe holds if I understand correctly (feel free to explain better) that Chalav HaCompanies is an equivalent. You are not allowed to drink Chalav Akum.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Halacha in this case is not showing ervah.

There are different opinions what age and if from the knee down is ervah.

What type of article of clothing you used to cover ervah is not halacha, therefore if the 3 year old girls wears leggings, pants, long skirt or other article of clothing to cover she is following halacha according to that shita.

Cholov Yisroel is not a chumrah it is a d'rabannan. Rav Moshe holds if I understand correctly (feel free to explain better) that Chalav HaCompanies is an equivalent. You are not allowed to drink Chalav Akum.

I meant leggings as opposed to a skirt. I was told that my daughter should wear skirts etc (not necessarily covering the knee, but at least somewhere near the knee) from around five. My dh is not really into chumros so I'm assuming this is halachah. A different (Chassidish) amother posted that her dayan said that tights is halacha (for her) from age three. Im assuming shes not lying.

As for cholov yisroel- R Moshe clearly said that bal nefesh machmir. Which is the definition of a chumrah, according to my understanding.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:56 pm
I'm so confused over the tights at 3 =Halacha. Because when I was young my father was part of a Chasiddus. The Rebbe allowed the girls to wear socks to school until age 6, in first grade. My mother actually opted out from sending me to that school even though it was our Chasiddus because it was to meikel for her litvish derech she was familiar with. Fast forward to the year 2005 or so and the "Halacha" in that Chasiddus changed...now it's tights at three years old. Same Chasiddus ....that makes no sense to me.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:17 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I meant leggings as opposed to a skirt. I was told that my daughter should wear skirts etc (not necessarily covering the knee, but at least somewhere near the knee) from around five. My dh is not really into chumros so I'm assuming this is halachah. A different (Chassidish) amother posted that her dayan said that tights is halacha (for her) from age three. Im assuming shes not lying.

As for cholov yisroel- R Moshe clearly said that bal nefesh machmir. Which is the definition of a chumrah, according to my understanding.

Only Chaluv Hacompanies (otherwise known by some as Chaluv Stam) you can not drink Chalav Akum.

Here is a link that I hope explains

http://www.kashrut.com/article.....oday/

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
Only Chaluv Hacompanies (otherwise known by some as Chaluv Stam) you can not drink Chalav Akum.

Here is a link that I hope explains

http://www.kashrut.com/article.....oday/

I don't need to read an article to understand the difference between cholov akum and cholov stam. Please.

R Moshe was matir cholov stam, cholov yisroel he said bal nefesh machmir. Exactly what I've been saying the last few posts.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:34 pm
The chassidism that put on tights by three don't think or hold that it's halacha. They know it's a chumra and minhag.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:40 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't need to read an article to understand the difference between cholov akum and cholov stam. Please.

R Moshe was matir cholov stam, cholov yisroel he said bal nefesh machmir. Exactly what I've been saying the last few posts.

I feel bad that I am not explaining it well, I hope someone can do it better than me.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
The chassidism that put on tights by three don't think or hold that it's halacha. They know it's a chumra and minhag.

Amother upthread mentioned that in her Chasiddus it's the Halacha. That's how the whole convo started

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:10 pm
side note but mommyg8- so at what age did your daughter actually have to wear skirts that covered her knees?

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:13 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
What's chumrah for one person may be basic halachah for another. A prime example of this is cholov yisroel. We follow R Moshe's psak that cholov yisroel is a chumrah, but I know many who hold that cholov yisroel is not a chumrah but basic halachah.

As for your example about tznius in young girls, we asked our Rav and he said that my daughter should dress more tzniusdig starting at five or so. Not chumrah, halachah. Another example is length of hair. I have heard that Chassidishe Rabbanim have paskened that you may not have a shaitel that is longer than shoulder length, my Rav paskened that my shaitel should be two three inches below shoulder but not longer. I'm assuming others have paskened differently based on the amount of long shaitels I see around town, but I am bound by the psak of the Rav that I asked... that's how halachah works.

So... it may be a chumrah for you, halachah for someone else.

I don't agree with you. I do understand what you're saying, I do see your logic.

What I call an interpretation of halacha you call halacha. OK.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
side note but mommyg8- so at what age did your daughter actually have to wear skirts that covered her knees?

We're not up to that yet, so I don't know.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
I feel bad that I am not explaining it well, I hope someone can do it better than me.

Honestly, you really think that you understand this issue better than I do? LOL

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:47 pm
gold21 wrote:
I don't agree with you. I do understand what you're saying, I do see your logic.

What I call an interpretation of halacha you call halacha. OK.

It's not logic, it's fact. Chassidish dayanim pasken differently.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Amother green, her experience is absolutely not the norm in regular chassidish schools. Girls generally don't bring "schmutz" to school, chassidish or not. And the girls don't one day come home smoking....

I went to a chassidish school in Brooklyn and I was from a more “modern” family. Let’s just say I learned a LOT of info from my chassidish classmates. One used invite us to come babysit with her by an aunt and then watch bad movies (probably pg13 but while I had a forbidden video machine at home, all I ever watched was super clean Disney so it was shocking!). Yes, most of the girls were good, but no school is shmutz free.

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 9:58 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
It's not logic, it's fact. Chassidish dayanim pasken differently.

Well, then. I'll make a note of that. Lol.

Rabbonim who pasken more strictly interperet halacha more strictly.... But go ahead & try to convince me that a chassidish woman whose Rav paskens that a shaitel has to be covered with a hat or tichel, if that woman "rebels" and covers her hair with just a wig or snood, that she is transgressing basic halacha. She isn't.

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 1:56 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Honestly, you really think that you understand this issue better than I do? LOL

I'm gonna try, I think it's a question of semantics and I don't think she was "dissing" your knowledge.

We agree that cholav alum is forbidden.

Cholav Yisroel is the halacha. Not the chumra. But what constitutes cholav Yisroel and what is the reason for it? That's where cholav "ha'companies" comes into play. It's not a separate category. Rather it's a leniency that allows for milk produced under certain circumstances to be treated as if it's fulfilling the requirements for cholav Yisroel - without a yid being part of the process. And that's where Rav Moshe says that a ba'al nefesh should be machmir, that they shouldn't rely on the leniency that cholav ha companies fulfills the requirement to drink only cholav Yisroel.

(full disclosure : we do rely on cholav ha companies)

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 6:22 pm
cbsp wrote:
I'm gonna try, I think it's a question of semantics and I don't think she was "dissing" your knowledge.

We agree that cholav alum is forbidden.

Cholav Yisroel is the halacha. Not the chumra. But what constitutes cholav Yisroel and what is the reason for it? That's where cholav "ha'companies" comes into play. It's not a separate category. Rather it's a leniency that allows for milk produced under certain circumstances to be treated as if it's fulfilling the requirements for cholav Yisroel - without a yid being part of the process. And that's where Rav Moshe says that a ba'al nefesh should be machmir, that they shouldn't rely on the leniency that cholav ha companies fulfills the requirement to drink only cholav Yisroel.

(full disclosure : we do rely on cholav ha companies)

Thank you for explaining. I had a hard day and linked to an article which would explain it better than my words.
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics