Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Frumit...HELP
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:24 am
What is a Hebrew version for Frumit….
A name I may have to give...I HATE IT....HELP

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
What is a Hebrew version for Frumit….
A name I may have to give...I HATE IT....HELP

You dont have to give a name that you hate.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:29 am
You don't HAVE to give a name, especially one you dislike. A mother must like her child's name.
There's no hebrew name for Frumet.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:30 am
I want to make my husband happy, so I am looking for a Hebrew version of it...
If anyone knows anything, it would be a big help

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:35 am
fruma?

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:37 am
Well it means pious. I feel like Yehudit which could also mean Jewish woman might be a substitute?
Also maybe think of what being pious means to you and find a name that fits that? Or a woman who exemplifies that trait?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:55 am
Please don't give a child a name you hate to make your husband happy! You should choose a name you both like.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:59 am
Frumit means joy which can be Aliza

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:05 am
Frumit means joy?

I thought it meant religious, as in naming a little girl in English "Religious-el" with the "et" at the end being a diminutive.

It's my middle name. I dislike it but I dislike most Yiddish names. Especially names that begin with F since Hebrew words can never begin with an F; they'd always get a Dagesh and begin with a P instead, so those names don't appeal to me.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:14 am
Dati'it Wink

So another way of looking at it is that "dati"(frum) could be stretched to "das", and then Hadassah? Would he like that?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:15 am
Frumit is a yiddish name, it does not mean joy.
It literally means frum.

debbie321

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:30 am
Temima

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:54 am
Not sure if Frumit and Fruma are related, but we were told that Fruma can translate to Chasida (didn't end up using it anyway).

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:01 am
I know someone who just named Yehudis after frumit.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:03 am
Why not add another name? I have a niece named ___ Frumit and she is called by the other name. I doubt too many people know about the Frumit, but it made my sister's FIL happy and they chose to do this.

ETA - Ha, I just realized I have TWO nieces named Frumit, one on my side of the family and one on DH's side. Both are called by their 2nd names.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:14 am
I have a daughter name frumit and I added a name which is what we call her. Someone gave me the idea of using the nickname Mimi for frumit, which I would have done if I didn't add the name

thanks

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:21 am
My cousins are all חסידה, named after fuma/frummit. It actually, when fruma arrived in Israel she was called chasida. (libby was called Ahuva, etc) Chasida is also a stork.

Last edited by thanks on Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:24 am
I was going to say Chasida.
Personally, I don't like combining two people's names unless they were directly related. I would either use a spinoff (like what it means in another language) or use as a middle name, with the first name being either the spinoff or Frumit's mother/grandmother.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:28 am
I dont know what circles you run in, but chasida is not a name in mine. When I think of the chasida bird, I think of what I learned about it, summarized here from torah.org

Parshas Shemini contains a description of the laws of kashrus – the animals we may and may not eat. One of the types of prohibited birds is called the Chasida – the righteous bird, thus called, says Rashi, because this bird deals kindly with her peers (chavrose’ha), and helps them sustain themselves with food.

One would assume that an animal’s kashrus or lack thereof would have some connection with the behaviour and characteristics of the animal. Yet if so, why is the aptly-named chasida counted among the fowl of which we may not partake?

The Chidushei Ha-Rim, R’ Yitzchak Meir of Gur zt”l, explains that the chasida’s fault is that she performs kindness only with chavrose’ha – her friends, to the exclusion of others. Do you remember the kid on the block who generously shared with everyone else – except you? The birthday party from which you were left out? Would you have counted these “friends” among the great “doers of kindness?” Exclusive kindness and peer-favouritism does not a righteous-bird make.

I here you on the frumit. I like the yehudit idea a lot. See if your husband can be happy with that.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:35 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
I dont know what circles you run in, but chasida is not a name in mine. When I think of the chasida bird, I think of what I learned about it, summarized here from torah.org

Parshas Shemini contains a description of the laws of kashrus – the animals we may and may not eat. One of the types of prohibited birds is called the Chasida – the righteous bird, thus called, says Rashi, because this bird deals kindly with her peers (chavrose’ha), and helps them sustain themselves with food.

One would assume that an animal’s kashrus or lack thereof would have some connection with the behaviour and characteristics of the animal. Yet if so, why is the aptly-named chasida counted among the fowl of which we may not partake?

The Chidushei Ha-Rim, R’ Yitzchak Meir of Gur zt”l, explains that the chasida’s fault is that she performs kindness only with chavrose’ha – her friends, to the exclusion of others. Do you remember the kid on the block who generously shared with everyone else – except you? The birthday party from which you were left out? Would you have counted these “friends” among the great “doers of kindness?” Exclusive kindness and peer-favouritism does not a righteous-bird make.

I here you on the frumit. I like the yehudit idea a lot. See if your husband can be happy with that.

Yup. That's why we didn't go with Chasida. Also because I'm not crazy about the name.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names