Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Jussie Smollett and the two tiered justice system
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:54 am
ectomorph wrote:
So Nick Sandmann wasn't vilified. He just thought he was.

Roseanne Barr didn't lose her job while Smollett walked free

Yup its all in our heads.

Smollett list his job too. Your point.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:58 am
ectomorph wrote:
So Nick Sandmann wasn't vilified. He just thought he was.

Roseanne Barr didn't lose her job while Smollett walked free

Yup its all in our heads.

Talk to me when Roseann is charged with numerous felonies.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:20 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Talk to me when Roseann is charged with numerous felonies.

Not sure that this even means.

Are you saying the only reason Roseanne was not charged with "numerous felonies" is because she is conservative? I think the more salient reason is that she did not commit a felony!

I think a more fair comparison would be comparing Roseanne with CNN's Reza Aslan, who marveled at a Covington Catholic student's “punchable face." Here's a news reporter suggesting he wants to punch a 16-year old in the face for the high crime of standing still and smiling. Why does he still have a job?

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:33 am
ectomorph wrote:
What we are seeing is the formation of a 2 tiered justice system. Where people who progressives approve of, like Clinton, Smollett, people who beat up prolife protestors, people who damage conservative property, get off with a slap on the wrist.

And people who are conservative get severely punished even for minor or imaginary crimes.

Sanctuary cities add another tier to the justice system where illegal aliens are above the laws and are not being prosecuted for criminal activity. Any American citizen who gets penalized differently than illegal aliens in sanctuary cities should sue for discrimination.

Quote:
Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins is ordering her staff to be on the lookout for federal ICE agents in or around courthouses, telling them to “immediately notify” her if the feds are looking for illegal immigrants in court.

It’s part of “The Rollins Memo” — a 65-page policy blueprint released Monday to staffers that also doubles down on her controversial no-prosecute list and details how she wants suspects, victims, cops and federal agents to be treated. Jail, she states throughout the memo, should not be the first option in many cases — not prosecuting certain crimes, she said, is a “default” position.

“I don’t believe accountability has to equal incarceration. There are many ways we can hold people accountable without putting them in jail,” Rollins writes, according to the policy paper obtained by the Herald and later made public by the DA Monday.

As for the county’s “foreign-born population” when accused of crimes, Rollins’ memo states her office “will begin to factor into all charging and sentencing decisions the potential of immigration consequences.”

That includes taking into consideration any defense attorney’s “failure to provide accurate advice” about a suspect’s chances of being grabbed by federal immigration officers.

Rollins adds that if a DA’s office employee “observes Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers” or Department of Homeland Security agents “apprehending or questioning” someone called to court about “residence status,” they are to immediately alert her personally, her first assistant or general counsel.

“Local criminal matters always supersede federal civil matters,” Rollins’ memo states. ICE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

At the memo’s core is the list of “charges to be declined” — from trespassing to shoplifting, disturbing the peace, breaking and entering, threats, drug possession, resisting arrest to malicious destruction of property. Limiting bail and looking to help drug addicts instead of incarcerating them are also main themes. The no-prosecute list drew protests and concern from police when the Herald first reported it last fall. But last week, Rollins was criticized by the ACLU for failing to act on her promised reforms.

Rollins also stressed, in a section titled “Restoring Trust,” that the county’s 1,000 unsolved murders are an unjust “backlog” as are “all persons who may have been charged and convicted at higher rates due to poverty, race, religion, relations, gender, or identity.”

“This is a roadmap to a criminal justice system that works equally for everyone, based on research, data, and input from across the spectrum of stakeholders,” Rollins said in a statement after the memo was released.

Her new office policy also states:

For bail, the “presumptive recommendation” will be personal recognizance, unless there is “clear evidence of flight risk.”
A Discharge Integrity Team has been formed to review fatal police-involved shootings. The panel will meet “at least” monthly and with the DA.
Offering “treatment services rather than punishment” for those with mental illness or substance abuse. She called these steps a move to make up for the “catastrophically failed War on Drugs.”
Taking into consideration “collateral consequences” of a criminal case — including being fired from a job, being listed on the relations Offender Registry or being denied “admission to a school.” The DA said her office is teaming up with Harvard University to map “some of the thousands of collateral consequences.”
With pleas, “incarceration” should be a “last resort.” Prosecutors should “work with defense counsel” to work out sentences with “incentives” included.
The DA, who took office this year promising change, said she will take this new policy to the public in a series of hearings starting Thursday at Hibernian Hall in Roxbury. That session is set for 6 p.m.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2.....k-xQU

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:37 am
DrMom wrote:
Not sure that this even means.

Are you saying the only reason Roseanne was not charged with "numerous felonies" is because she is conservative? I think the more salient reason is that she did not commit a felony!

I think a more fair comparison would be comparing Roseanne with CNN's Reza Aslan, who marveled at a Covington Catholic student's “punchable face." Here's a news reporter suggesting he wants to punch a 16-year old in the face for the high crime of standing still and smiling. Why does he still have a job?

The point is that there's no analogy between Roseann Barr and Jussie Smollett.

I don't think that your comparisons are apt, either. Barr made repeated racist comments. Not just about Valerie Jarrett (which she blamed on Ambien), but her references to "Jewish mind control," among other things. ABC decided that they didn't want to be associated with her any longer. End of story.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:38 am
1untamedgirl wrote:

Thank you

The Rollins memo is an excellent example. American citizens can be prosecuted and punished harder and with worse punishments than illegal aliens because liberals are worried that illegals might be sent back to their countries.

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:43 am
1untamedgirl wrote:

The immigrant conversation is a non sequitur.

It is used to paint Democrats into a corner. Almost no Democrats support open borders or the idea of illegal immigration as an ideal.

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:
The point is that there's no analogy between Roseann Barr and Jussie Smollett.

I don't think that your comparisons are apt, either. Barr made repeated racist comments. Not just about Valerie Jarrett (which she blamed on Ambien), but her references to "Jewish mind control," among other things. ABC decided that they didn't want to be associated with her any longer. End of story.

Rosanne was killed on her series. Smollett is talking about coming back to his.

There's every appearance of some standards in high profile cases. I don't have time to play your game where you pick out 14 cases where blacks were punished and whites weren't ams proves nothing.

BTW most of the crime is black on black which could be a factor in why more blacks are incarcerated. Smollett's crime was a made up crime against white dudes.

At the end of the day, he raised his profile and is keeping his career because punishing hoaxers and Hollywood doesn't fit the liberal narrative.

And you can't tell me Smollett was framed. The biggest stench in this is Smollett's sealed record. He's an idiot.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:51 am
1untamedgirl wrote:
Sanctuary cities add another tier to the justice system where illegal aliens are above the laws and are not being prosecuted for criminal activity. Any American citizen who gets penalized differently than illegal aliens in sanctuary cities should sue for discrimination.

Do you even know what a "sanctuary city" is?

Please explain why you think that undocumented aliens living in sanctuary cities are not prosecuted for criminal activity that constitutes something other than their immigration status.

Because, of course, that's not the case. It’s just a city that limits its cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents in order to protect low-priority immigrants from deportation, while still turning over those who have committed serious crimes. So if Shlomo gets caught driving without a license, and has overstayed his visa, the immigration authorities won't be called in sanctuary cities, but otherwise would be alerted (AND Shlomo an be held in jail even after his sentence is served, until ICE comes to get him); he'll still get a ticket in a sanctuary city. If, however, Shlomo is a meth dealer, he'll still be arrested and prosecuted, AND immigration will be notified.

Did you know that 70% of undocumented immigrants and 44% of Latinos surveyed are less likely to report if they were the victim of crime and 45% of Latinos are less likely report crimes or voluntarily offer information about a crime for fear police officers would about their immigration status. Meaning that criminals act unimpeded, and sanctuary cities may make us safer.

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:57 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you even know what a "sanctuary city" is?

Please explain why you think that undocumented aliens living in sanctuary cities are not prosecuted for criminal activity that constitutes something other than their immigration status.

Because, of course, that's not the case. It’s just a city that limits its cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents in order to protect low-priority immigrants from deportation, while still turning over those who have committed serious crimes. So if Shlomo gets caught driving without a license, and has overstayed his visa, the immigration authorities won't be called in sanctuary cities, but otherwise would be alerted (AND Shlomo an be held in jail even after his sentence is served, until ICE comes to get him); he'll still get a ticket in a sanctuary city. If, however, Shlomo is a meth dealer, he'll still be arrested and prosecuted, AND immigration will be notified.

Did you know that 70% of undocumented immigrants and 44% of Latinos surveyed are less likely to report if they were the victim of crime and 45% of Latinos are less likely report crimes or voluntarily offer information about a crime for fear police officers would about their immigration status. Meaning that criminals act unimpeded, and sanctuary cities may make us safer.

Pleeeze. This is more garbage. They reduce the crimes charged and convicted. The authorities are told not to arrest. That is why you can find lots of men loitering on certain corners drinking beer out of a paper bag. They are hanging out. It's uncomfortable walking past this.

If you are a victim of a crime, you get special immigration status and get to stay here.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:58 am
simcha2 wrote:
The immigrant conversation is a non sequitur.

It is used to paint Democrats into a corner. Almost no Democrats support open borders or the idea of illegal immigration as an ideal.

Doesn't change the fact that the Rollins memo explicitly makes a 2 tiered justice system Where illegal aliens get off because punishing them might give the ICE reason to arrest them.

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
Rosanne was killed on her series. Smollett is talking about coming back to his.

There's every appearance of some standards in high profile cases. I don't have time to play your game where you pick out 14 cases where blacks were punished and whites weren't ams proves nothing.

BTW most of the crime is black on black which could be a factor in why more blacks are incarcerated.
Smollett's crime was a made up crime against white dudes.

At the end of the day, he raised his profile and is keeping his career because punishing hoaxers and Hollywood doesn't fit the liberal narrative.

And you can't tell me Smollett was framed. The biggest stench in this is Smollett's sealed record. He's an idiot.

But that's the point. If you don't cherry pick, but look at the aggregated data, blacks are prosecuted at a much higher rate and receive harsher sentences.

Ectomorph's claim of a two tier standard doesn't hold up in actuality, only in anecdote.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:03 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I don't think that is true. I think that people are told they are vilified. Which is different. How many times have people posted on here "in the press x wasn't reported" when a simple search will prove otherwise. If your understanding of what is in the media comes from Fox news and not actually reading other outlets you may have a skewed view.

Don’t read fox ever.

How many people do you think were hounded in February for MAGA hats that was reported to police?

Ryan M. Salvagno shoves 81 year old man
Kenneth Dewayne Jones Knocked hat off 17 year old
Zachary Greenberg Sucker punched someone over MAGA slogan
James Phillips pulled gun on couple
Rosiane Santos Shoved head into food
Delores Matheny yanked kids hat off of his head

From what I see trump supporters are the only violent thugs with no moral or understanding.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
Pleeeze. This is more garbage. They reduce the crimes charged and convicted. The authorities are told not to arrest. That is why you can find lots of men loitering on certain corners drinking beer out of a paper bag. They are hanging out. It's uncomfortable walking past this.

If you are a victim of a crime, you get special immigration status and get to stay here.

If an illegal alien breaks into your apartment then the cops wont do anything about it and will just let him go free, no questions asked as they are not allowed to arrest illegal aliens these days for certain things at least. This happened to a friend and there was nothing she could do about it as she watched as the cops let the illegal alien go free. Simcha2 and Sixofwands are just trying to gaslight us about the truth and reality of sanctuary cities which is sad and I hope they never learn first hand what its like to be a victim.

And you are right that drugs and other illegal activities are not being dealt with either as cops have no power in NY anymore to do their jobs and protect victims as they are afraid that they will be called racist and sued. https://nypost.com/2019/03/24/.....lZ8W4

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:05 pm
simcha2 wrote:
But that's the point. If you don't cherry pick, but look at the aggregated data, blacks are prosecuted at a much higher rate and receive harsher sentences.

Ectomorph's claim of a two tier standard doesn't hold up in actuality, only in anecdote.

Your black men example is a non sequitur.

I said that those who check off more social justice boxes are the beneficiaries, not black men. Black men only tick off one social justice box of being black, like white women only tick off one social justice box of being women.

It is a totally different issue.

Illegal aliens who are deemed more sympathetic than black men by social justice people have specific policies and leniencies directed at them, as specified in the Rollins memo above

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Your black men example is a non sequitur.

I said that those who check off more social justice boxes are the beneficiaries, not black men. Black men only tick off one social justice box of being black, like white women only tick off one social justice box of being women.

It is a totally different issue.

Illegal aliens who are deemed more sympathetic than black men by social justice people have specific policies and leniencies directed at them, as specified in the Rollins memo above

You're going to have to list the boxes for me, because I have no idea what you mean.

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 1:04 pm
I don't think the Smollett case is an example of intersectional animals being more equal than other animals. Nor do I think it's a simple case of money talking.

Rather, it's the somewhat embarrassing confirmation that people will act to defend a member of their tribe -- not matter how much they've previously complained about such tribal privilege when exercised by others.

Despite appearances, Smollett's "tribe" is not based on race, s-xual orientation, or any other intersectional identity. It's not even based on his profession. It's based on his family's long-time connection with progressive activists and his yichus among them. For those who are unaware, Smollett's parents were close with Black Panther activists throughout their adult lives, and Smollett considers Angela Davis a close family friend and role model.

So just like it might happen for the pink-cheeked scion of a prominent Greenwich, CT, family who finds himself in trouble for drunk driving or drug possession, a call was made; a text was sent; a friend of a friend dashed off an email . . . and the problem mysteriously went away with far fewer consequences than would have accrued to someone of any hue living in East St. Louis or rural West Virginia.

This isn't surprising, though it's not laudable. Certainly people are legitimately disturbed by the lack of accountability for a hoax that cost so much money and created so much negative publicity.

But I suspect many people, even if they can't articulate it fully, are simply disappointed or shocked to learn that when it comes to protecting their own, Black Panthers and old-money socialites are the same under the skin, and that objections to the inequalities of privilege are less concerned with blind justice than with Chicago's unofficial motto, "Where's Mine?"

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 1:14 pm
Squishy wrote:

Hes an idiot? Smollett? He clearly chose a lawyer who must have helped him, and knows who to kiss up to, to have gotten his charges dropped.

His charges getting dropped didnt happen without his behind the scenes efforts and pressure, or at the very least, choosing the right people to handle the case.

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 1:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Thank you

The Rollins memo is an excellent example. American citizens can be prosecuted and punished harder and with worse punishments than illegal aliens because liberals are worried that illegals might be sent back to their countries.

So I just read the Rollins memo (all 66 pages). Of course that is not what it says. The whole premise of the memo is that looking at crime in context helps reduce both recidivism and increase those willing to come forward to report crime. She cites data (which I have no way of verifying) that since taking this approach crime has dropped in her district. So, for example she lists shoplifting for food and diapers (desperation) differently than shoplifting electronics (greed), but even in those cases if it's habitual they will prosecute.

With regard to immigration, in the same way she asks her office to consider the greater cost to someone (ie if someone can't pay a fine and is jailed, they then lose their job, making it less likely they'll pay the fine and more likely to turn to crime), she asks them to consider immigration impact as well.

She does not say illegal immigrants shouldn't be prosecuted where other people would be.

I don't wholly agree with her approach, but I encourage people to read the source document to see if it says what you are being told it says (even by me, and certainly by websites with agendas)

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 2:53 pm
Fox wrote:
I don't think the Smollett case is an example of intersectional animals being more equal than other animals. Nor do I think it's a simple case of money talking.

Rather, it's the somewhat embarrassing confirmation that people will act to defend a member of their tribe -- not matter how much they've previously complained about such tribal privilege when exercised by others.

Despite appearances, Smollett's "tribe" is not based on race, s-xual orientation, or any other intersectional identity. It's not even based on his profession. It's based on his family's long-time connection with progressive activists and his yichus among them. For those who are unaware, Smollett's parents were close with Black Panther activists throughout their adult lives, and Smollett considers Angela Davis a close family friend and role model.

So just like it might happen for the pink-cheeked scion of a prominent Greenwich, CT, family who finds himself in trouble for drunk driving or drug possession, a call was made; a text was sent; a friend of a friend dashed off an email . . . and the problem mysteriously went away with far fewer consequences than would have accrued to someone of any hue living in East St. Louis or rural West Virginia.

This isn't surprising, though it's not laudable. Certainly people are legitimately disturbed by the lack of accountability for a hoax that cost so much money and created so much negative publicity.

But I suspect many people, even if they can't articulate it fully, are simply disappointed or shocked to learn that when it comes to protecting their own, Black Panthers and old-money socialites are the same under the skin, and that objections to the inequalities of privilege are less concerned with blind justice than with Chicago's unofficial motto, "Where's Mine?"

People are also forgetting that it is hard to report crimes if it is committed by someone from your own community or tribe as you call it. For Jews, its a matter of Mussar, other communities have this notion that snitches wear stitches or swimming with the fishes if you report, etc. So that may be a reason why people are scared to report crimes as they dont want to snitch on their own community/tribe member for fear of retaliation.

That said, Smollett may still consider suing at least according to his lawyers.. apparently he is just a "victim" of a "crime" that he wanted "nothing with". Forget that he orchestrated this "crime" and tried to blame white people for it, that is not relevant and now he stands to make money from being charged in the first place. What a wonderful justice system we have in America to the point where you can now sue if you get charged with a crime that you committed, no wonder cops refuse to do their jobs and protect victims from harm.
https://www.nydailynews.com/en.....gUF-o
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics