Home

Thought experiment.
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


1untamedgirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:39 am
simcha2 wrote:
So why aren't you employing one of the "underclass" as your cleaning lady? There is a lot of conversation on imamother about cleaning ladies, how much they're paid, how hard they are to find.

When there was a crackdown on illegal immigrants in the agricultural sector, those jobs didn't go to Americans. The farmers couldn't find any Americans to do the work. The produce rotted in the fields.

It is not as simple as "they are taking, the jobs, so others don't have them ". In many cases immigrants are doing the jobs noone else will.

Unionize farms and offer incentives for workers (by having something similar or equivalent to the GI bill) and you won't have a problem finding American citizens who would work on the farms.
But illegal aliens are not just working in the fields, they are also taking away college and graduate school spots from America citizens who want do want to go to school to be doctors, lawyers, social workers, etc. Then these illegal aliens get to do work that many American citizens want to do but cant because their education went to illegal aliens who had no right to be in America in the first place. Your attempts to minimize this fact is gaslighting and very painful for American citizens who were rejected from schools and jobs because it went to illegal aliens. Why do you have no compassion for American citizens who are being hurt by illegal aliens? Why are illegal aliens entitled to get services that American citizens can't get?
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:47 am
1untamedgirl wrote:
Unionize farms and offer incentives for workers (by having something similar or equivalent to the GI bill) and you won't have a problem finding American citizens who would work on the farms.
But illegal aliens are not just working in the fields, they are also taking away college and graduate school spots from America citizens who want do want to go to school to be doctors, lawyers, social workers, etc. Then these illegal aliens get to do work that many American citizens want to do but cant because their education went to illegal aliens who had no right to be in America in the first place. Your attempts to minimize this fact is gaslighting and very painful for American citizens who were rejected from schools. Why do you have no compassion for American citizens who are being hurt by illegal aliens? Why are illegal aliens entitled to get services that American citizens can't get?


rhetoric.
Back to top

1untamedgirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:50 am
shyshira wrote:
rhetoric.

Are you saying that illegal aliens have a right to be in this country?

And how is saying that "they are doing the job that Americans dont want to do" not rhetoric?
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:08 am
1untamedgirl wrote:
Are you saying that illegal aliens have a right to be in this country?

And how is saying that "they are doing the job that Americans dont want to do" not rhetoric?


I am saying that
Quote:
illegal aliens who had no right to be in America in the first place


is rhetoric. What is the definition of an illegal alien?
Back to top

1untamedgirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:20 am
shyshira wrote:
is rhetoric. What is the definition of an illegal alien?

A foreign national who is living without official authorization in a country of which they are not a citizen.

Now answer my questions.

Are you saying that illegal aliens have a right to be in this country?

And how is saying that "they are doing the job that Americans dont want to do" not rhetoric?
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:31 am
simcha2 wrote:
I find it fascinating that no where did I mention compassion as a goal of this. Yet somehow people took this as a indictment of their lack of compassion.

It is not about political converts. It's about being able to hear rhetoric when we agree with its premise, something that is very hard to do in all situations. It's about building unity by building understanding.

I'm upset that posters would rather assume nefarious intent than try something that challenges them a small amount.

Did someone hijack your account temporarily?

In your original post, you singled out conservatives.

In your second post, you specifically mentioned "raising compassion."

The accusation that conservatives lack compassion is a well-worn trope. You may actually believe the stereotype is true. You may even express it in unguarded moments. But claiming to want to build unity and understanding while simultaneously promoting such a canard is not going to fly.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:47 am
simcha2 wrote:
So why aren't you employing one of the "underclass" as your cleaning lady? There is a lot of conversation on imamother about cleaning ladies, how much they're paid, how hard they are to find.

When there was a crackdown on illegal immigrants in the agricultural sector, those jobs didn't go to Americans. The farmers couldn't find any Americans to do the work. The produce rotted in the fields.

It is not as simple as "they are taking, the jobs, so others don't have them ". In many cases immigrants are doing the jobs noone else will.


I live right next door to a sanctuary city. The illegal immigrants are raising the cost of rent to ridiculous levels because they don't obey municipal laws. They will have 8 people sharing a bedroom, so they must sleep in shifts. My gardener told me about this. He paid several hundred dollars for that privilege. Section 8 doesn't pay nearly what the landlords can get from the illegals.

There aren't any of the underclass around. They were priced out of their homes by immigrants who break the laws of the municipality. That's disgusting. You go to the sanctuary city now, and a good portion of the signs are in a foreign language. When I speak to people there, most are heavily accented. The blacks tend to be from Haiti. The Hispanics are overwhelmingly from Central America. Public schools are so damaged here in a good part because of ESL. In the case of the underclass originally there, it is America last.

You misunderstand the laws of supply and demand. You won't fill the jobs at the wage they are offering to illegal immigrants. If you raise the wage to the market price, you will have those agricultural jobs filled by Americans.

One demented thing Democrats do very well is supply cheap labor to be exploited by their big donors.
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:04 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
A foreign national who is living without official authorization in a country of which they are not a citizen.

Now answer my questions.

Are you saying that illegal aliens have a right to be in this country?

And how is saying that "they are doing the job that Americans dont want to do" not rhetoric?


I was pointing out rhetoric - as this was a thread about thinking about our language. That was all I was saying.

If illegal aliens are people who no right to be in America in the first place (as is suggested by your definition above) then

"illegal aliens who had no right to be in America in the first place" is redundant.. and being used as rhetoric.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:07 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Not getting into the thick of the issue, but that is a faulty comparison. The Jews in the 1930s were lawful citizens, among many, MANY other differences.

Everybody deserves humane, dignified treatment, and again, I'm not here to debate the "what to do about it" part of immigration, but it bothers me when people make comparisons like that. It's just plain not the same thing.

They were also being persecuted and were being killed en masse. This is not the case with the immigrants flooding in from our porous borders.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:19 pm
shyshira wrote:
I was pointing out rhetoric - as this was a thread about thinking about our language. That was all I was saying.

If illegal aliens are people who no right to be in America in the first place (as is suggested by your definition above) then

"illegal aliens who had no right to be in America in the first place" is redundant.. and being used as rhetoric.


Except some misguided ones think illegal aliens have a right to be here. We wouldn't have sanctuary cities if people didn't give them rights to be here. They get free health care over frum women who can't get their own teeth fixed. What is wrong with this country?

Everytime there is a thead here about women who can't fix their teeth, I get sick that illegals can get them fixed free.
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
Except some misguided ones think illegal aliens have a right to be here. We wouldn't have sanctuary cities if people didn't give them rights to be here. They get free health care over frum women who can't get their own teeth fixed. What is wrong with this country?

Everytime there is a thead here about women who can't fix their teeth, I get sick that illegals can get them fixed free.


You've moved from rhetoric into rhetorical. Smile
Back to top

1untamedgirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 5:22 pm
Squishy wrote:
Except some misguided ones think illegal aliens have a right to be here. We wouldn't have sanctuary cities if people didn't give them rights to be here. They get free health care over frum women who can't get their own teeth fixed. What is wrong with this country?

Everytime there is a thead here about women who can't fix their teeth, I get sick that illegals can get them fixed free.

They are also now getting "an additional" $1.6 million on top of the $10 million they are already getting for attorneys when many American citizens can't get pro bono legal assistance for their cases in housing court, family court, etc. I wonder if there are ways for citizens to sue for discrimination.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne....._P_wB-dZlA
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 5:42 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
They are also now getting "an additional" $1.6 million on top of the $10 million they are already getting for attorneys when many American citizens can't get pro bono legal assistance for their cases in housing court, family court, etc. I wonder if there are ways for citizens to sue for discrimination.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne....._P_wB-dZlA


It's sickening.

The city is on the verge of bankruptcy and they are spending millions they don't have to keep illegal immigrants here that they can't afford to support. No wonder the top tax payers are fleeing the state.

Us taxpayers are paying both sides of the court costs and for the court itself.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
A thought about the geula
by amother
6 Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:53 pm View last post
by ggdm
S/o vegan guests thread. vaccines and autism- a thought
by amother
3 Thu, Apr 18 2019, 6:00 pm View last post
by nchr
[ Poll ] Another thought experiment--test your tolerance (poll)
by Laiya
9 Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:39 pm View last post
S/o Another thought 64 Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:54 am View last post
The cat experiment—anyone wanna join? 3 Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:21 pm View last post

Jump to: