Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Being short rant
Previous  1  2  3  Next

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
I'm 4'10". The store didn't have a grabber thingy? Anyway, being short comes with its annoyances, but honestly, I find being left handed way more frustrating than being short LOL

I'm also short and left handed but neither of these things particularly bother me. My DH is fascinated by left handed people.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'm short and so is my husband. My kids blame me for marrying someone so short because they have no hope! It is a handicap sometimes, but didn't realize it until I saw how much easier things could be with just a few more inches. The hardest is for my daughter in shidduchim~someone keeps giving information that she's tiiiiiny ! Mothers don't like to hear that!

Mothers of short boys are happy to hear that. 😉

little neshamala

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:56 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
What’s wrong with being cute? I’m just about 5’4” and people tell me I’m cute all the time. Some people are just cute. Nothing to do with being short.

Yeah me too lol. 5'2" and often hear im "cute". But I dont know if its because of my height necessarily. Either way, I like it. And BH I am taken seriously

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
Mothers of short boys are happy to hear that. 😉

Well, where are they??!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Well, where are they??!!

My short boy is too young for Shidduchim yet but I am sure there are others. 😉

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:21 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Yeah me too lol. 5'2" and often hear im "cute". But I dont know if its because of my height necessarily. Either way, I like it. And BH I am taken seriously

For me, it’s definitely not my height. It’s my personality, although I am small and petite if not quite short. And unfortunately a lot of times I’m not taken seriously...
But still, people mean it as a compliment so I’m not going to get insulted.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:27 pm
at least you can fit into clothes. Skirts and dresses from frum shops seem to be designed for women who are approx 5 feet tall. I have better luck finding tznius stuff in non Jewish shops.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:29 pm
Raisin wrote:
at least you can fit into clothes. Skirts and dresses from frum shops seem to be designed for women who are approx 5 feet tall. I have better luck finding tznius stuff in non Jewish shops.

But regular clothes are cut for a woman who’s at least 5”6 so too long for short women. But at least there are petites!

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a grandmother. That's too old for cute. I have a Ph.D but sometimes get dismissed when talking about my field because I'm cute.

Once you are out of pigtails and Mary Janes, cute is just not appropriate.

And I'm 5 foot 1. 5'4" is a whole other planet.

That’s why I hate it when people refer to elderly folk as “cute”, even though they mean well. It’s so inappropriate.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:50 pm
My experience with cute short old ladies are that "those are the ones to be reckoned with"!

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:52 pm
My grandmother A"H was talented at sewing so she always hemmed 0all my clothes for me. I feel sad that I now have to go somewher else to fix all my clothing because everything is long!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
I can manage the logistics of being short. It's the "you're so cute" attitude I can't stand.

This
I’m over 40 and I detest being called sweetie and honey by people who are much younger than me.

I find it condescending.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:01 pm
In our family each generation grew taller. My great grandmother was 4 11".
My grandfather was around 5 7"
My mother is 5 11"
I am 6 ft , I have a brother that's 6 4"
My oldest son is 6 5" and we are not sure if he stopped growing yet.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a grandmother. That's too old for cute. I have a Ph.D but sometimes get dismissed when talking about my field because I'm cute.

I’m barely 5’1 myself and agree. 5’4 is indeed a whole ‘nother Planet.

Op, I feel along with you. I hate being short and always davened to Hashem to pls give me even one more inch. If I need to purchase one towel paper I can expect several pieces raining down after I’m finally able to grab the closest one.
Now my kids have mostly inherited my gene.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:43 pm
That does happen! When I reach for something, it all falls down on me! 😊

yksraya

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 3:29 pm
Raisin wrote:

Actually most skirts in frum stores are too long for me. I find easier in non jewish shops...

yksraya

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 3:30 pm
Beingreal wrote:
That does happen! When I reach for something, it all falls down on me! 😊

Oy! I sometimes have a fear it'll happen. I usually just ask anyone or a store worker to take it down for me.

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
I'm 4'10". The store didn't have a grabber thingy? Anyway, being short comes with its annoyances, but honestly, I find being left handed way more frustrating than being short LOL

I'm 4'11" and left handed.
Hallevai these should be your biggest problems

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 6:06 am
amother wrote:

I am 5 foot 1.5 and nearly 50. I do pigtails in my sheital for events like fun runs. I have a J.D. If someone thinks I am cute, I would definitely take it as a compliment. IMHO you are never too old to be cute. If someone doesn’t take me seriously because they think I am young, it is frustrating but says more about their ignorance than my brains.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
I can manage the logistics of being short. It's the "you're so cute" attitude I can't stand.

I see it exactly opposite. I'm short and LOVE it when people make assumptions and underestimate me. Its so much fun to prove them wrong. I'm a lawyer, BTW. Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette