Home

Another thought experiment--test your tolerance (poll)

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Poll

(1) I have no close friends from the “other” party; (2) I would be upset or bothered if a close relative married someone who shares the other party's views; (3) I believe that people from the “other” party are more likely selfish than patriotic
True to all
 3%  [ 2 ]
False to all
 58%  [ 31 ]
False to two of the above
 30%  [ 16 ]
Other
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 53

Laiya

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 3:45 pm
Earlier this month, the Atlantic published an article entitled, The least politically prejudiced place in America. Using that study's ideas as a guide, let's find out how Imamother would rank!

itsmeima

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 4:12 pm
I'm a progressive Democrat living among progressive Republicans, I'm okay with that!

(However, thankfully, besides for one family member no one supports the current President at this point, even though most of them voted for him.)

Ruchel

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 5:38 pm
Is this a joke

ectomorph

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:31 pm
False to all.

allthingsblue

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:19 pm
False to all but I mistakenly voted false to 2.

Most people I know are not so extreme, so we can be friends despite our differences.

But I'd never be able to be friends with the Hollywood types; they really disgust me. They're hypocrites. You can't have an industry where women feel they have to get naked on camera or risk losing a good job while also claiming to be pro women's rights. You can't s-xualize women and then get upset at men for viewing them in a s-xual way. I think Hollywood folks are hypocrites.

I love my Democratic friends and relatives, though.

groisamomma

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:59 pm
In my personal life I assume everyone is Republican unless told otherwise (I have siblings that aren't).

For job security, at work I assume everyone is Democrat unless whispered otherwise.

I get along nicely with both so neither bothers me, as long as they aren't being progressive and liberal at my expense. No, it's NOT cool to call someone a Republican because you disagree with something they said about a certain lifestyle. Republicans are allowed to have feelings and opinions, too. Shockingly, some are valid.

Amother above me, don't get me started on hypocrites. I don't allow men to hold the doors open for me any more than I hold it open for them. This whole "ladies first" business contradicts equal rights. It cracks me up to see the ultimate Democrat tell their boys that "you never put your hands on a girl." Um, if we're so progressive, girls should be getting the same speech. The fact is that they aren't.

iyar

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:05 pm
I voted false to all. But really I should have voted, "What?" or "confused".
I don't have a party and a "other" party. I'm not sure which party a lot of my friends would vote for. I agree and disagree strongly with different party platforms of both major parties.
I don't know how to take my vote out of the poll so I'm writing this to clarify.
Also to ask- are there really amothers out there who have no friends from the "other" party? or who'd be upset if their kids married someone who votes for the "other" party?
I feel my own otherness very strongly, living as an Orthodox Jew in a country that's not my own. I feel like a transient or a visitor.
Even though the Democratic nature of my country means I'm allowed to participate in the political discussion, I don't feel a real connection to any party or governing official.

Laiya

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:00 pm
Maybe I should've said right vs left, rather than party. Maybe that wouldn't have changed anything.

Very encouraging results. Would it be safe to conclude that, no matter how intense some threads can get (how...vitriolic the rhetoric?), that it's really [almost] never meant or intended in a personal way?

For those who responded with, True to all, I appreciate your honesty.

allthingsblue

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:14 pm
iyar wrote:
I voted false to all. But really I should have voted, "What?" or "confused".
I don't have a party and a "other" party. I'm not sure which party a lot of my friends would vote for. I agree and disagree strongly with different party platforms of both major parties.
I don't know how to take my vote out of the poll so I'm writing this to clarify.
Also to ask- are there really amothers out there who have no friends from the "other" party? or who'd be upset if their kids married someone who votes for the "other" party?
I feel my own otherness very strongly, living as an Orthodox Jew in a country that's not my own. I feel like a transient or a visitor.
Even though the Democratic nature of my country means I'm allowed to participate in the political discussion, I don't feel a real connection to any party or governing official.

I also feel very "other." It's a good thing. I don't belong here and I can't forget it.

crust

Post  Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:39 pm
I enjoy politics because I'm not stuck in a party. I have the liberty to see how history repeats itself every few years with different versions of a similar story.

I know when someone's being accused the accuser will be accused by the accused of a similar thing a few years down the road.

I am surrounded by people that take their party very seriously but there's nothing I can really be bothered by.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h