Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Dreizel
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 5:57 pm
Anyone know of a source for the name Dreizel?
What does it mean?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 10:21 pm
When researched it for my daughter online it came up that it means beloved - same meaning like Ahuva

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:48 pm
Don’t know the source of the name but I know a few people with the name.
Just curious why you’re spelling it with an e?

Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:20 am
R' Moshe Feinstein famously said "that's not a real name" in Igros Moshe. Don't have source now but DH has shown it to me before.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:23 am
To me it's sounds like a variation of Raizel

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:25 am
Ei sound like a long I sound. Just like Raizel in Yiddish would be pronounced Reizel. Maybe same thing with Dreizel.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:50 am
Sounds like a combination of Dreidel (as in Hanukkah) and Reizel.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:55 am
dankbar wrote:
Ei sound like a long I sound. Just like Raizel in Yiddish would be pronounced Reizel. Maybe same thing with Dreizel.

The Dreizy's I know pronounce it Drayzel (instead of Dryzel) even if their sister is a Raizy (pronounced ryzel). It may be spelled with an ayin, but don't take my word on it. It may bein the gemara under gitten. I know a few people with the name, but have no idea what it means.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:17 am
DrMom wrote:
Sounds like a combination of Dreidel (as in Hanukkah) and Reizel.

That's exactly what I thought too Smile

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 7:30 am
I know a Dreizel, but her name was actually Devorah Reizel.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 7:45 am
Orchid wrote:
R' Moshe Feinstein famously said "that's not a real name" in Igros Moshe. Don't have source now but DH has shown it to me before.

This is correct

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:13 am
Did Rav Moshe say where the name came from? I would love to know a Hebrew version of it.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:17 am
Just think carefully before you give your kid such an unusual name. Think about what kind of life you are setting them up for, reading, etc.
I know one friend with Drayzel as a middle name and she guards that as a best kept secret. The only one who calls her it is her mother and she was embarrassed to bring friends over in case they would find it out. It's not a name most kidd would be ok with.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:49 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Just think carefully before you give your kid such an unusual name. Think about what kind of life you are setting them up for, reading, etc.
I know one friend with Drayzel as a middle name and she guards that as a best kept secret. The only one who calls her it is her mother and she was embarrassed to bring friends over in case they would find it out. It's not a name most kidd would be ok with.

And that’s your own opinion.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
Did Rav Moshe say where the name came from? I would love to know a Hebrew version of it.

R Moshe says it’s likely a corruption of Raizel

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:44 am
It's a fairly common name in chassidishe circles. I know of a very large family, Weissman, where everyone has a Drayzel and are called Draizy.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:46 am
Interesting. According to online sources it is a Yiddish version of a Slavic name Droza. There are plenty of names like this in Yiddish. Charna, Brana, etc. etc.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:55 am
notshanarishona wrote:

I have one of these unusual yiddish names and yeah... I agree with this

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:56 am
People don't randomly add a letter or make up a name - well today yes but not then. Droza, or even Drusilla - depends on where you look.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:06 pm
I'd be afraid that kids would follow her around the play ground singing-

I have a little Dreizel...

Yeah, kids can be jerks sometimes. Don't give them something to work with.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names