Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Twisted testicle
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:03 pm
My DS is in the ER with what may be a twisted testicle. Any have a child with this? Any advice?

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:19 pm
Hug

My dh experienced this as a teenager. I don't remember how it was resolved but he has no lasting effects.

hotzenplotz

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:31 pm
Try to call Rabbi Lazer Hager just to hear his opinion if he you should see a good urologist.

You can pm me for the number. He lives in Boro park.

westchestermom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:17 am
Its fixed with laparoscopic surgery.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 7:16 am
Yes. My son had this. For both. Bilateral testicular torsion. My son is sterile now. Make sure they rush your son into surgery and he will hopefully be ok.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:32 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:
Try to call Rabbi Lazer Hager just to hear his opinion if he you should see a good urologist.

You can pm me for the number. He lives in Boro park.

Nope. Wrong answer. Testicular tortion is an emergency. Good thing op is on the ER to have it worked up and treated if that is indeed what it is.

nywife

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:36 pm
He is in the right place. They will send him for an ultrasound, if it is a torsion he will need surgical repair. I hope everything turns out well Heart

amother
Lightblue

Post Sat, Feb 19 2022, 10:45 pm
I know this is an old thread, but bumping this up.
Anyone have experience with intermittent testicular torsion? My DS went to ER for possible testicular torsion a few weeks ago and u/s was okay. Now urologist thinks it may be intermittent torsion.

amother
Carnation

Post Sat, Feb 19 2022, 11:05 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but bumping this up.
Anyone have experience with intermittent testicular torsion? My DS went to ER for possible testicular torsion a few weeks ago and u/s was okay. Now urologist thinks it may be intermittent torsion.

Would they pin down the testicle? I took my five year old to the ER a few months ago for testicular torsion - I didn’t even know such a thing existed! But the doctor sent us straight to the ER. Ultrasound shows that it was torsed, but by the time the surgery started, it had untorsed. Regardless, the surgeon pinned it down so that it would never happen again.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sat, Feb 19 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Would they pin down the testicle? I took my five year old to the ER a few months ago for testicular torsion - I didn’t even know such a thing existed! But the doctor sent us straight to the ER. Ultrasound shows that it was torsed, but by the time the surgery started, it had untorsed. Regardless, the surgeon pinned it down so that it would never happen again.
Yes, urologist said if he has one more episode of pain, we need to do the surgery ASAP.
How was the surgery and recovery for your son?
I also never heard of this before a few weeks ago! I feel like we should make a PSA for all moms of boys!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 12:12 am
I would opt to have surgery even if it’s intermittent. I had ovarian torsion which isn’t the same thing but pretty similar. I had one incident that it torsed and untorsed and ended up having emergency surgery two weeks later and lost the ovary.

Eta I had a cyst that caused the torsion and had I had it removed after the first incident, I wouldn’t have lost the ovary. Since I was pregnant we were hoping to wait until my second trimester. If there an option to prevent the testicle from twisting again, please do it. It’s also CRAZY painful to have torsion and blood flow being cut off to an organ. (Worse than being induced with no epidural)

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 12:18 am
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Yes, urologist said if he has one more episode of pain, we need to do the surgery ASAP.
How was the surgery and recovery for your son?
I also never heard of this before a few weeks ago! I feel like we should make a PSA for all moms of boys!

He was fine bh! Took him a couple days to feel comfortable walking around but he didn’t seem to be in much pain. He was also so young which likely helped. And there totally needs to be a PSA for the moms- I agree!! I knew something was amiss because my son woke up screaming in pain, and I called the doctors office just to be on the safe side because of how his screams were and they sent me straight to the ER based on the symptoms.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 7:33 am
Carnation, I’m so glad to hear your son’s surgery went well with minor recovery.
I think my son’s pain level was not nearly as strong as yours. He woke up one morning complaining about pain “down there”. Since this is my kid that never wants to go to school in the morning and often finds excuses, I took it with a grain of salt and sent him off to school. After he called me twice from school, I decided to take him to the doctor to humor him. The doctor really shocked me by sending us to the ER. As I said, his u/s showed no indication of blood flow being restricted, so we went home thinking it was epididymitis. The pain and swelling persisted to a smaller degree for about a week or two and then we saw an urologist who told us it’s likely intermittent testicular torsion.
Amother Teal, I’m so sorry for what you went through with ovarian torsion. Has it greatly affected your fertility since? My understanding with testicular torsion is that you have up to 4 hours to do emergency surgery to repair the forsed testicule and avoid losing it. And chas v’Shalom if it does need to be removed, it doesn’t significantly impair a male’s fertility, provided the remaining testicle is good.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 8:48 am
My son had it when he was less than 24 hours old.
Looking back I should of realized there was a problem because his cry was different than a newborn cry.( not my first kid)
I sent him to the nursery because I was exhausted and figured the nurses will deal with him
The nurse also didn't like his cry so she called for the resident pediatrician who couldn't be bothered coming to look at him. He spent over 5 hours in pain until my pediatrician came and then they realized what the issue was. There was no pediatric urologist in the hospital so he needed to be transferred to a bigger hospital.
Unfortunately one testicle was removed.

I would like info on pinning the one remaining one because I am so nervous that one will twist.
Anyone do it and at what age. My son is older now.

mfb

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Yes. My son had this. For both. Bilateral testicular torsion. My son is sterile now. Make sure they rush your son into surgery and he will hopefully be ok.

That’s so painful to hear. Must have been a really painful diagnosis.

Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 8:58 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My son had it when he was less than 24 hours old.
Looking back I should of realized there was a problem because his cry was different than a newborn cry.( not my first kid)
I sent him to the nursery because I was exhausted and figured the nurses will deal with him
The nurse also didn't like his cry so she called for the resident pediatrician who couldn't be bothered coming to look at him. He spent over 5 hours in pain until my pediatrician came and then they realized what the issue was. There was no pediatric urologist in the hospital so he needed to be transferred to a bigger hospital.
Unfortunately one testicle was removed.

I would like info on pinning the one remaining one because I am so nervous that one will twist.
Anyone do it and at what age. My son is older now.
Oy, I’m sorry for what you and your son went through. I’m shocked they did not pin down the remaining testicle when they removed the bad one. All the doctors I have spoken to said they would pin BOTH down even if there’s only a problem with one. And all the more so if the problematic one was actually removed. Please take your son to a good pediatric urologist as soon as you can get an appointment. You really don’t want to risk losing the 2nd testicle.
Hugs! And of course don’t feel bad! I would never have guessed a newborn crying was due to something like that! You had no way of knowing.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 10:03 am
Thank you lightblue your words made me feel so much better.
My son has a well check up in a week so I’m going to bring it up.
Maybe they did pin the second one down but I don’t remember them telling me that.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:24 am
Is there always excruciating pain with a torsion?

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:27 am
I’m a mom of two little boys and don’t know what everyone is talking about. Twisted? Torse? What would I look up to learn more what are symptoms that you’re referring to?

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:31 am
I’m not sure myself . My son was complaining about pain since yesterday and I just started panicking after Googling symptoms. It did happen after bumping into something. So not sure if pain is from the injury or from something else. Will go to dr first thing tomorrow morning
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children