Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
20 month old climbs out of crib!
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:50 pm
Please help!

My 20-mo old has always been a good sleeper. I'd brush his teeth, say shma, put him in his crib and leave the room and he slept...

Just this week he started climbing out of his crib. We've had to stay with him in his room till he falls asleep for naps and nighttime, which can be very time-consuming.

How can I get him to stop crawling out of his crib?

I'm not ready for him to be in a bed yet. He's so little and will never stay in a bed... What do I do?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:55 pm
Put him in a sleep sack! He can't climb over the side like that. This saved our sanity for about 6 extra months.

trixx

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:55 pm
Put him in a bed. Trust him to be old enough to handle it. Teach him how to stay in the bed by enforcing not coming out during sleeping time.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:58 pm
If it's a crib with one side higher than the other, turn it around so the low side is against the wall and the high side is facing the room. You will also have to push the entire crib into a corner so one aide is blocked, and possibly block the other side too.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
Put him in a sleep sack! He can't climb over the side like that. This saved our sanity for about 6 extra months.

He's a large 20 month old, and we live in a warm climate. I don't think that will work.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
If it's a crib with one side higher than the other, turn it around so the low side is against the wall and the high side is facing the room. You will also have to push the entire crib into a corner so one aide is blocked, and possibly block the other side too.

Nope...it's a crib with equal height sides.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:07 am
amother wrote:

I second the sleep sack. Also, put the zipper of the sleep sack in the back so he can't get out as easily.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:07 am
trixx wrote:
Put him in a bed. Trust him to be old enough to handle it. Teach him how to stay in the bed by enforcing not coming out during sleeping time.

I really don't think he's old enough to understand. I just don't. He's a very mischievous boy.

How would I be able to enforce not coming out?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
Nope...it's a crib with equal height sides.

You can still try blocking the two smaller sides (head and foot) because he probably is getting some leverage there.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:11 am
Quote:
He's a large 20 month old, and we live in a warm climate. I don't think that will work.

They make ones up to like size 4 or something. My DS is very big for his age and the one I bought was actually too large and I had to exchange it for a smaller size. It's also very warm where we live but either have him in shirts and a short sleeve tee or when it's really hot the a/c is on.
Don't discount the idea right away - we tried so many ideas and this one really worked!

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:20 am
My boys taught my 3 yr old girl to climb out. It's tzaros.
My boys were all climbing out by 20 mos.

amother
Seashell

This didn’t work for me (my son was too good a climber), but based on recommendations I tried taking off the springs under the mattress and putting the mattress flat on the floor inside the crib. He might not be able to reach to climb out.

amother
Copper

I'm assuming he's in a big crib, not a porta crib.
A sleep sack with the zipper to the back is a great idea.
Another great great option is a crib tent to put over the crib.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:43 am
Ok...I can try a sleep sack... any recommendations?

I've read that crib tents are not safe, so I can't risk that.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:36 am
amother wrote:
This didn’t work for me (my son was too good a climber), but based on recommendations I tried taking off the springs under the mattress and putting the mattress flat on the floor inside the crib. He might not be able to reach to climb out.

This. Put the mattress on the floor instead of on top of the springs. The thickness of the mattress should reach the bottom of the crib wall so no danger of him getting stuck between.

2gether

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:26 am
Don't put him in a bed yet, he's too small, do try to lower the mattress.
But teach him that yes he's a big boy that learnt to climb out, but now is bedtime. Do not, not, not, get him used to you sitting next to him until he falls asleep. You can sit a little bit and then leave, if he comes out (when he comes out...) lead him back to bed as many times as neccesay and tell him now is the time all little boys go to bed. It should take a few days of patience.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 7:50 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

We used size X-large

aricelli

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:04 am
Uh oh! My son did this too! My husband bought wood and built a little gate on the bars of the crib. Was good for a little while until he learnt how to catapult over that

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:45 am
Yeah, all mine were out by 20 months. except, my 18 month old was half way over. He was more cautious and called for help. May try this sack. Thank you

rebal

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:50 am
If you’re not ready for him to sleep in a bed you can buy a crib tent on amazon.Was a huge help for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics