Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Mini meat pizzas (lah magheen)
1  2  Next

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:33 am
Another one for shanie5...

mini pizza dough circles (found in the freezer of your supermarket)

Meat mixture:
about 1 1b. chopped meat
juice of 1/2 a lemon
a few generous squeezes of ketchup (be real generous!)
3-4 giant spoonfuls of prune butter (you want to be really generous with this as well; it gives the meat a real sweet, delicious flavor)
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix these ingredients together. The measurements don't have to be so exact; after making it enough times you get a feel for how the mixture should look.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, & spray very lightly with pam. Lay out pizza dough circles on the cookie sheet, and generously spread meat on top of each circle of dough, covering the entire surface.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:54 am
I am having vegetarians over for shabbos lunch. Could this work in a vegetarian form? Does it keep well for shabbos day?
Can I use puffed pastry squares?

Squash

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:57 am
mimi you remind me of the story in mirrors and windows about the ladies with the pizza bagels. did youread that one? LOL

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 10:08 am
Mimi, what an interesting idea! I have no experience whatsoever with vegetarian beef, so I don't really know whether or not that would work out. My hunch is that it might not work out so well since the real beef lets out a lot of liquid which makes the dough very moist & delicious. But then again, I don't have experience with vegetarian beef, so it may come out fine.

I have never served these for shabbos lunch, but if you have a blech or another method of warming food up on shabbos morning, it should be fine.

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 10:17 am
greeneyes...where is that recipe from? is it part of another culture bc they're very big in argentina. (spelled lajmayin) j in spanish=ches sound

gold21

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 10:23 am
thats a syrian food!
syrian jews eat lachmajin (or however its spelled) on Shabbos.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 10:59 am
Yup, it is definitely a sephardic food. I grew up in a sephardic area & my mom, who loves to try new things, would buy kibbe, lah magheen etc. & we loved it. This recipe is from my mom's friend whose husband was sephardic.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:02 am
No I don't know the pizza bagel story - what was it about?

As for the pizzas, what if I just put veggies?

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:05 am
greeneyes wrote:
Yup, it is definitely a sephardic food. I grew up in a sephardic area & my mom, who loves to try new things, would buy kibbe, lah magheen etc. & we loved it. This recipe is from my mom's friend whose husband was sephardic.

Hmmm I guess Argentinians adopted some of that sephardic food bc they're big on kibbe here too.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:32 am
What is "1/4 tsp. allspice "?
My family is so not into different type foods, but this sounds so good! can someone describe the flavor?

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:43 am
Mimi, do you mean raw veggies, or would you sautee the veggies first? I think sauteed veggies would be great. I would brush the dough circles with some oil, or spread some marinara sauce on & then top with veggies & bake.

Happy2beme, I put allspice into my pumpkin pie as well, if that gives you more of an idea of what kind of spice it is. It gives a great flavor.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:07 pm
greeneyes, I never heard of all spice, but I c ur from brooklyn so they must sell it here too. I thought it was some foreign thing embarrassed cuz I see s/o form argentina was posting so I wanted the translation Smile
haha- gotta get more comfy with the spice aisle I see.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 6:48 pm
now THAT'S different !!!

Mommish

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:00 pm
This is one of my favorite recipes and I make it all the time-- made it this shabbat, but I don't use ketchup, lemon juice or prune butter. Just tamarind and sometimes pomegranate.

SZ mother

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:20 pm
I love this! (I love everything actually, but anyway...)

In my family they called it sfiha(the pizza is open sfiha, and the closed one is closed as a triangle), that is the way sefaradic from egypt call it, and there is a difference with this one. Yours sound sweet, mines is completely salty, no sweet meat. In the caterers here in america they do it sweet.
Both are good to me!!! LOL

MahPitom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:57 pm
I read somewhere that you put two pizzas facing each other when baking and then they come apart, which makes it stay moist the entire time. I wonder how that works!

I also would make it garlicky, not sweet.

NOTE: Make sure your pizza dough is parve

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:30 pm
thanx again greeneyes-I look forward to trying it.
and maybe the vegetarian version too.

avimom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:44 pm
Is there anything I can substitute for the prune butter? I don't have any...

MahPitom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 9:41 pm
I made it (spicy hungarian style) yum! it was a race to gobble it the fastest

nicole81

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 9:50 pm
where can I get prune butter?

dh has been begging me to make lachmajeen forever. he also loves kibbe and moroccan cigars. he's been working with like 80% syrians for years.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics