Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teacher is not great

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 9:08 pm
I am a special education teacher and I work with a teacher who is really nice but not the greatest teacher. She is lacking in a lot of areas that are affecting the child I work with in her classroom. I know the mother does not like her but I have never said anything bad about the teacher. The mother called me up screaming how horrible the teacher is. She told me she is going to call the preschool director which she has not done so far but she has had enough. As a way to calm her down, I told her it's a good idea to speak to the preschool director..what else could I tell her? I know the director will call me in her office and ask me what's going on..part of me just wants to stay out of it..the other part of me thinks, if I don't say anything, she won't improve as a teacher. Should I just deny the teacher is doing anything wrong if they ask?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 9:16 pm
It's up to the director/administrator to be on top of things and evaluate the teachers as needed. I wouldn't let myself get sucked into it, if the director is an effective one she should be on top of things, coming in to observe, and helping the teacher as needed to improve (if possible) or even let her go if she determines that is what is best. The director should not be going to other teachers and asking them for info, if she is doing her job correctly

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 9:36 pm
You were right in saying that the mother should direct her concerns to the director.
If the director does ask for your input, I'd probably say something that sounds helpful but isn't, such as "I'm happy to collaborate with the teacher if she'd like my input about how to support Shloimie in the classroom."

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 9:54 pm
Of course you shouldn't pretend everything is just fine if it isn't. Definitely don't point fingers, though, or accuse the teacher of anything specific. I would make the conversation very much centered around the child you're working with, such as:
I think that since David struggles with impulsivity, he would do well with the teacher doing abc
I notice that David responds very well when the teacher uses xyz approach, so I would like to try more of that going forward
David seems especially sensitive to abc, and I think he might need xyz
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics